Im i right to be peeved off with work?

rang in yesterday to get my details for the start of my shift today, i work 5 on 3 off. planner says to me’oh hasnt anyone told you, your covering another job your on nihts tomorrow for 4 nights, i then get a call from the manager who tells me i will be on that shift for 4 weeks whilst they train up another man to take over the job!, this shift patrn is 4 on night 2 off, 4 on days 2 off and so on. now my gripe is firstly as im not down the road for 5 days i lose my night out money, i also lose shift pay cause they dont pay that for working the day shift and as im only doing 4 days work i’m also losing out on earning a days wage. this over 4 weeks will turn out to be quite a dip in my wages. worse of all is in 2 weeks time my normal shift means i will be having 2 longs weekends off back to back, these come around every 5 weeks, now if i do this for 4 weks the next time im off for the weekend is going to be end of july.i have already made plans for the 2 weekends and i have told them i wil do these 4 nightthen i want back onto my normal shift pattern, the manager didnt sound tohappy with that, but think thats fair, i also know for a fact that there are 3 cover drivers in our deot who are trained to do this job, one is already covering someone else one wont work nights and the other wont work weekends. do you think i being unresonabe about not doing the 4 weeks?. sorry about the long winded rant btw :slight_smile:

have you fronted them out about it.

i had a problem at work and fronted out my boss and got well compensated :wink: :smiley:

not yet cant speak to my depot manager till monday, have said i will do the 4 nights so wil speak to him monday se what he has to say.

1. do you have a written contract with your duty times on it?
  2. have you ALWAYS done the 5 on 3 off day shifts?
  3. are other drivers asked to change shifts?

If you don’t want to do it then don’t. They cannot force you to do something you don’t want to.

Of course it may not do your long term prospects any good but it depends on how good the job is whether that matters or not.

when i first started i was doing cover on this job which is why im being collerd for it now, been on the 5 on 3 off since october, and contract just says that im employed to carry out the duties including shift work. as for the other drivers well i dont know case you are lucky to see each other.

neil yes its a pretty decent job, but cant help thinking they are taking the micky a bit, they asked me last week when i was tipping down in southampton would i go on to do this job the next day (sunday) as a factory in the north east was nearly on shutdown because they couldnt get the stuff in to them. got back up to yorkshire sat night, swapped trailers, set off next morning to load out of grimsby, was nearly at the point of delivery, when i was told to divert it to runcorn because the tanks at the plant was full!!!, just wish that had told me that morning that they had other loads going i there woukd have saved them a lot of money :laughing:

Pete, are you running out of Duke Street Birkenhead??

wirralpete:
when i first started i was doing cover on this job which is why im being collerd for it now, been on the 5 on 3 off since october, and contract just says that im employed to carry out the duties including shift work. as for the other drivers well i dont know case you are lucky to see each other.

Sorry mate, it looks like they have got you :frowning:

no mate e/port, is that the irish firm you are thinking off,
yep rog possibly wont be happy if i find out cover drivers wont do nights and weekends and they are using me. will have to wait and see monday brings

If you don’t want to do it then don’t. You said that they have 3 cover drivers so let them use them. If you bow down to them this time who says that there won’t be another time and by doing this work you’ve made rod for your own back and so won’t be able to refuse.

Frisbee the number plate across the office , slam the keys down on the counter and tell them to stick the job right up there hairy ring pieces .
:angry:

Or just explain that the shift pattern they are proposing to put you on is impossible because of family commitments .
:stuck_out_tongue:

paul@midway:
Frisbee the number plate across the office , slam the keys down on the counter and tell them to stick the job right up there hairy ring pieces .
:angry:

Or just explain that the shift pattern they are proposing to put you on is impossible because of family commitments .
:stuck_out_tongue:

I like the first option better, more comedy potential. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve watched people do that before :laughing: :laughing:

he he have to be a bloody good throw office is in yorkshire, but my mananger is based in southampton whilst im in ellesmere port makes sense eh? :slight_smile:

Yes it does make sense…
Stop nicking , you bloody scouse lads …

paul@midway:
scouse

:question: :question: :question:

Ellesmere Port has always been in Cheshire. (Our postcode = CH)

Scousers’ postcode = L

Just to avoid any confusion. :wink:

dieseldave:

paul@midway:
scouse

Scousers’ postcode = L

Where I come from, anyone north of York is a Geordie and south of Doncaster a Cockernese :smiley:

wirralpete:
rang in yesterday to get my details for the start of my shift today, i work 5 on 3 off. planner says to me’oh hasnt anyone told you, your covering another job your on nihts tomorrow for 4 nights, i then get a call from the manager who tells me i will be on that shift for 4 weeks whilst they train up another man to take over the job!, this shift patrn is 4 on night 2 off, 4 on days 2 off and so on. now my gripe is firstly as im not down the road for 5 days i lose my night out money, i also lose shift pay cause they dont pay that for working the day shift and as im only doing 4 days work i’m also losing out on earning a days wage. this over 4 weeks will turn out to be quite a dip in my wages. worse of all is in 2 weeks time my normal shift means i will be having 2 longs weekends off back to back, these come around every 5 weeks, now if i do this for 4 weks the next time im off for the weekend is going to be end of july.i have already made plans for the 2 weekends and i have told them i wil do these 4 nightthen i want back onto my normal shift pattern, the manager didnt sound tohappy with that, but think thats fair, i also know for a fact that there are 3 cover drivers in our deot who are trained to do this job, one is already covering someone else one wont work nights and the other wont work weekends. do you think i being unresonabe about not doing the 4 weeks?. sorry about the long winded rant btw :slight_smile:

take the Lorry and do as told :exclamation:
at 22.00 pull over and sleep till 05.30 as each Night :bulb:
If they are not happy that you have a health problem by working at Night go to Doctor

wirralpete:
not yet cant speak to my depot manager till monday, have said i will do the 4 nights so wil speak to him monday se what he has to say.

yep.do it :laughing:
and have a good sleep :exclamation:
You can talk better than after trucking all Night

dieseldave:

paul@midway:
scouse

Scousers’ postcode = L

Yeah but your dialling code is the same isn’t it?

That’s enough for most people… :slight_smile: