Illegal undertake or not?

you know these new managed motorways
if its says congestion use the hard shoulder with a speed limit of 60 mph
and a car is doing 45 mph in lane 1
is it ok to undertake him at 53 mph on the hard shoulder
ps you were already on the hard shoulder and didnt need to change lanes and it was really ■■■■■■■■■ down heavily

villa:
ps you were already on the hard shoulder and didnt need to change lanes and it was really ■■■■■■■■■ down heavily

Of course. Why wouldn’t it be? You’ve not changed lanes and the hard shoulder is running as a normal lane at the time so no offence committed, crack on driver.

cav551:
I think a following traffic cop would have noticed that you had to slow down, as is very clear from the footage, and decided to have a word with him. Whether any action would follow is another matter. It is not an issue of whether you were forced to slow down, it is that his action made you feel the need to do so. What would also be taken into account is any knock-on effect upon those following you in your lane when you slowed down. If the lorry behind you was too close, on cruise control and looking in his mirror for his chance to pull out one lane, this could have been the start of something serious.

god almighty…if if if if if…if I had been born with a ten inch willie,then I wouldn’t have to lug this monster around, :unamused:

The 2 steep hill warning triangles (one vergeside - one central res), saying slow vehicles for 2 mile’ might be the clue :wink:

villa:

I would certainly hope so, I must have over(under)took about 10 wagons this afternoon coming up the M1 when the hard shoulder was a live lane.

I was sitting at 56 and never changed speed once and they all had plenty of opportunities to come into the lane before I got close to them.

Not illegal.

I would have done exactly the same thing, the outer lane had a steady flow of faster cars, so the left filter lane was a fair option.

So you had to back off for a second, not a serious problem really, he was over & gone and out the way in no time.

ROG:
All perfectly SAFE and nothing illegal done

We can all make wrong lane decisions but provided any lane changes are done safely then there is no issue

There is no law which states that passing another vehicle can only be done on the right - there are recommendations but no laws

If that was correct then we’d obviously be under the clear US type rule of overtake either side.Not drive on the left overtake on the right.That simple rule of the road being as near to law as it needs to get.

In this case assuming the road markings mean that the road changes from lanes 1,2,and 3 to left hand filter only and lanes 1 and 2 and,until we get a clear change in rule of the road to overtake either side,then the overtaking truck should have waited for the road markings to change ‘then’ use lane 2 to overtake.

Herongate:
Not illegal.

I would have done exactly the same thing, the outer lane had a steady flow of faster cars, so the left filter lane was a fair option.

So you had to back off for a second, not a serious problem really, he was over & gone and out the way in no time.

Until the inevitable day when someone leaves a lane change for the exit slip a bit later than the overtaking vehicle and changes lane not expecting a faster vehicle to be approaching on the nearside.The road at the point where the truck overtakes is actually a filter for the exit slip not a lane to make an overtaking move.Such a move in that case creating a foreseeable risk of conflict regarding traffic which is potentially moving from lane 1 into the exit slip filter.

Carryfast:

ROG:

We can all make wrong lane decisions but provided any lane changes are done safely then there is no issue

There is no law which states that passing another vehicle can only be done on the right - there are recommendations but no laws

If that was correct then we’d obviously be under the clear US type rule of overtake either side.Not drive on the left overtake on the right.That simple rule of the road being as near to law as it needs to get.

In this case assuming the road markings mean that the road changes from lanes 1,2,and 3 to left hand filter only and lanes 1 and 2 and,until we get a clear change in rule of the road to overtake either side,then the overtaking truck should have waited for the road markings to change ‘then’ use lane 2 to overtake.

Where is the rule backed up by law that states what you say?

ROG:

Carryfast:

ROG:

Where is the rule backed up by law that states what you say?

Rule of the road drive on the left overtake on the right IE the basic rule of lane discipline.At least until we get a change in that rule on multi lane roads to stay in lane and overtake either side.All lane changes to be made in keeping with that rule.In either case that would still leave the question of an unsafe lane change made in an exit slip filter in this case.IE if we’re going to have US rules of the road even this case would still have been a case of an unsafe lane change under US rules.

Diesel-truckin:
Absolutely illegal, if the driver had stayed in the left lane and filtered off then maybe not but as it stands there, he/she is very clearly inconsiderate, impatient and making an illegal manoeuvre.

Is he not allowed to change his mind, or realise he was on the wrong slip road ?

If his driving manner is deemed as reckless or dangerous then that’s the issue.

I see neither, a bit cheeky though

Can’t see a problem here ,109lwb passed up the inside of both in the end .sounds like sour grapes because he burned you off .

michael.d.s.:

Diesel-truckin:
Absolutely illegal, if the driver had stayed in the left lane and filtered off then maybe not but as it stands there, he/she is very clearly inconsiderate, impatient and making an illegal manoeuvre.

Is he not allowed to change his mind, or realise he was on the wrong slip road ?

If his driving manner is deemed as reckless or dangerous then that’s the issue.

I see neither, a bit cheeky though

Bad lane discipline is usually prosecuted under the careless driving charge.The odds are if there was a collision in such circumstances,between something changing lanes from lane 1 into the exit slip filter,the overtaking vehicle would be held partly ( probably mostly ) to blame.

what is the good of having rules if they mean nothing in law?

There are laws for many things in driving especially if something is done unsafely

ROG:
what is the good of having rules if they mean nothing in law?

There are laws for many things in driving especially if something is done unsafely

I think the rule of the road drive on the left overtake on the right does mean something ‘in law’.Just like travel at a speed at which you can stop in the distance which you can see to be clear ahead.The video correctly shows the camera vehicle holding back on the approach to the exit slip filter on the basis that the vehicle in ( what is about to become ) lane 1 ahead might change lane from 1 to the filter.The same issue was foreseeable in the case of the truck which then overtook using the exit slip filter instead of lane 2.

Dan Punchard:
Can’t see a problem here ,109lwb passed up the inside of both in the end .sounds like sour grapes because he burned you off .

How else was I supposed to turn left onto the M5?

109LWB:

Dan Punchard:

How else was I supposed to turn left onto the M5?

In general in that situation it’s best not to overtake anyone left in lane 1 of the motorway while in the exit filter until the solid divider is reached.IE 1.07 in this case. :bulb:

Truck drivers think they know more than they they do. Pounding up and down motorways day in and day out, getting into the if I have to back off or touch my cruise control due to another vehicle is a cardinal sin and that person should be lynched naked and then burnt. The fact is backing off here and there in the presence of safety should be the norm. Let’s face it ,when we get to our destination there is a stacker driver who lives in another time dimension. Anyone who thinks that manoeuvre is safe is an idiot. Do not try and justify it by quoting law or Highway Code,we have all done enough miles to know what’s safe and not safe by looking at it!

Boris1971:
Truck drivers think they know more than they they do. Pounding up and down motorways day in and day out, getting into the if I have to back off or touch my cruise control due to another vehicle is a cardinal sin and that person should be lynched naked and then burnt. The fact is backing off here and there in the presence of safety should be the norm. Let’s face it ,when we get to our destination there is a stacker driver who lives in another time dimension. Anyone who thinks that manoeuvre is safe is an idiot. Do not try and justify it by quoting law or Highway Code,we have all done enough miles to know what’s safe and not safe by looking at it!

Ideally the camera truck needed to wait until 1.07 before passing and the overtaking truck needed to wait for a safe gap in the traffic to overtake in lane 2 not the exit slip filter.As it stands both moves,especially the first overtaking move,present the risk of a left hand filter lane,lane change side swipe situation,by the overtaken vehicle.Or possibly any of a number of vehicles in other similar circumstances.

Illegal undertake or not! I would think that most of us come to this or similar situations every day and adjust accordingly. That pass to me was ok as the driver passing wouldn’t have bothered me - I would probably have thought he was in a rush.

The lorry he passed was a bit slow anyway judging by the acceleration on a flat section…had he dithered before that?? Was he messing with his phone?

I’ve had and done similar in the past but wouldn’t MAKE a post about it :laughing: