Illegal undertake or not?

Cant decide on this one, was a bit dodgy, but technically Im not sure due to the road markings… Whats the consensus?

I’d say illegal, as he’s gained an advantage. Had he carried on in lane 1 then it would have been perfectly ok.

I stand to be corrected tho :laughing:

I think it was illegal. The law allows you to pass on the inside, if traffic in your lane is moving faster. As this guy changed lanes to pass traffic in front of him, it was an undertake…which I understand to be illegal.

Inconsiderate driving.

Strictly speaking legal as the road markings were different between lanes 1&2 than they were for 2&3. Although the driver was well aware of what he was doing there’s nothing to stop him saying he misread the sign and had to change lanes again.

Absolutely illegal, if the driver had stayed in the left lane and filtered off then maybe not but as it stands there, he/she is very clearly inconsiderate, impatient and making an illegal manoeuvre.

Firstly, there is no such offence as ‘undertaking’. It was removed from the Statute Book in about 1972 I believe. It is not recommended but the Highway Code recommendations are not law. However, ‘undertaking’ manoeuvres such as this could easily result in you being charged with something else.

I’d say that the police would possibly have considered the driver to be guilty of careless driving in this situation. It is not something I would do, especially not in a truck.

Agree with Truckulent, and if he’d hung on a couple more seconds he could have overtaken on lane three as the motorway split then making lane three lane two!

Can’t believe he was going faster than a Nolan’s wagon to be honest…

All perfectly SAFE and nothing illegal done

We can all make wrong lane decisions but provided any lane changes are done safely then there is no issue

There is no law which states that passing another vehicle can only be done on the right - there are recommendations but no laws

the Nolan drivers a prik.most likely Taliban peeling a cabbage for a sandwich whilst driving,or trying to watch the krakov news update.though the tanker looks like he has a (must make boat ) button for the spurt he put on, no danger to anyone,fair play…or would you be a Herbert and slow down to Nolan speed for a Cpl of miles till you could get past him,muttering about the similarity to the normal Tosco rolling roadblocks?..i think not… :smiling_imp:

ROG:

We can all make wrong lane decisions but provided any lane changes are done safely then there is no issue

There is no law which states that passing another vehicle can only be done on the right - there are recommendations but no laws

Was it safe though? He caused me to slow down quickly. He had ample time to move over yet only decided to do so once he was up the ■■■ of the other truck and I had started to get closer to him.

109LWB:

ROG:

Was it safe though? He caused me to slow down quickly. He had ample time to move over yet only decided to do so once he was up the ■■■ of the other truck and I had started to get closer to him.

of course it was safe,hes mile s away from you,if he just flew past you and overtook you then the only mildly unsafe thing was you accelerating to try and close the gap assuming you saw he was closing on the paddywagon,.get onto utube for driving in Russia for the good unsafe ones…pure class. :wink:

109LWB:

ROG:

Slow down quite quickly? That’s your main gripe? :laughing: You eased off by a couple of mph tops, hardly the result of an “unsafe” manoeuvre… A bit of a cheeky move imho, but it’s clear that he was caught out by the Nolan’s going so slow and the silver and black cars in lane 3 would’ve meant anchoring up a bit til they were past. Of course that’s not your problem and I do think that despite his indication that he cut in front of you way too close.

In short: trucker makes misjudgement, does cheeky manoeuvre, no-one hurt or killed, everyone lives to see another day. Not worthy of an internet discussion thread imho.

Excellent forward planning
Excellent risk assessment.
Excellent use of the filter lane

And excellent manoeuvring .
Probably realised he never needed that intended exit and rejoined the motorway in a safe and controlled manner

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want him hanged or anything, just wondered the legal standpoint of the move due to the road markings. Technically the inside lane becomes a separate entity once the lines change, so presumably you can come and go as you please.

Yes we all make mistakes, and misjudge things… even me! :laughing:

He could have at least bought me a coffee before entering my personal space like that though. :grimacing:

I think a following traffic cop would have noticed that you had to slow down, as is very clear from the footage, and decided to have a word with him. Whether any action would follow is another matter. It is not an issue of whether you were forced to slow down, it is that his action made you feel the need to do so. What would also be taken into account is any knock-on effect upon those following you in your lane when you slowed down. If the lorry behind you was too close, on cruise control and looking in his mirror for his chance to pull out one lane, this could have been the start of something serious.

109LWB:

You had to let off the accelerator a little but I’d hardly call it slowing down quickly and I doubt you ever touched the brake pedal. The point where he puts his indicator on to pull into L1 and started to move over he is more than three lorry lengths behind the other truck so far from up its ■■■. And he pulled back into L2 when he was WAAAY past the Nolans wagon.

You should write for the Daily Mail with that level of exaggeration. Are all the rest of your “near miss death driver” videos equally as uneventful?

109LWB:

ROG:

if you had been reading the road ahead you would have seen him catching nolans at a good speed, thus you’d have plenty of time just to ease off a little you would even need to brake, road markings indicate that he cant go in the 3rd lane at that time so must use lane one he didnt cut anyone up + he had cars coming in lane 3 at 70mph + at a quess, one thing i have to say is, how ■■■■ slow ins the nolans going :open_mouth:

Conor:

109LWB:

You had to let off the accelerator a little but I’d hardly call it slowing down quickly and I doubt you ever touched the brake pedal. The point where he puts his indicator on to pull into L1 and started to move over he is more than three lorry lengths behind the other truck so far from up its ■■■. And he pulled back into L2 when he was WAAAY past the Nolans wagon.

You should write for the Daily Mail with that level of exaggeration. Are all the rest of your “near miss death driver” videos equally as uneventful?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing: