If we all hung it out for 2 hours per week,

If we all hung it out for 2 hours a week, we would create 1000’s of new jobs.

What as in Sat in lay by or stick to 40mph?

You hang it out, the gaffer finds out and there will be 1001 jobs available. The extra one being your job…

Can you elaborate on your thread please?

darren1000:

And 1000’s more hauliers going bankrupt.

Paul

No Trackers on your company ?

Just go to Tesco Southampton and that’s your 2 hours wasted plus more.

Pointless post…are you bored?

Ain`t it a bit cold this time of year to be letting it “hang out”

Its easy, a few mins here and there, It doesn’t matter who you work for its about total truck hours. More truck hours more jobs.
I do the same run each day 5 days a week, when I started it took 10 hours, I worked that up to 10.5, the company doesn’t like drivers working to many hours so on Friday I now get shorter run or a bit of shunting and an early finish. They get an agency driver to cover me on a Friday, He’s not familiar with the route and the last one took nearly 12 hours, so thats £120 in a drivers pocket and not in a shareholders pocket. Good result all round.

Its because of people like you that firms are employing Poles as they are willing to work. Firms going under on a daily basis, hope yours is next!

skids:
Its because of people like you that firms are employing Poles as they are willing to work. Firms going under on a daily basis, hope yours is next!

+1

You’re paid to do the job to the best of your ability, so just get on with it :unamused:

My run (now on days ish again) starts at 1030am and I’m usually back in yard for 9pm, yesterday I was asked to start at 10am, got delayed and so on and ended up back in the yard at 1030pm, and I’m on salary so no extra cash, but I didn’t start to drive dangerously or exceed the speed limits or anything.
But, when I’m hourly paid, I drive upto the limits (where safe) but never exceed them, I tip and reload as quick as possible without being daft, but I don’t take my breaks during tipping / reloading if I’m involved, I take my legal breaks and wouldn’t think twice about stopping again if I needed the loo or was tired, but wouldn’t stop if I didn’t need to.

You’re paid your hours, so you should work to the best of your ability during those hours, if you’re docked your break then you take your break, if you’re paid through and on containers for example, you get your break on the doors. Now, I would still say, no matter how many breaks you’ve had or how short a time since your last break, if you need to stop, then stop, but don’t take the ■■■■ :confused:

darren1000:
‘…If we all hung it out for 2 hours a week, we would create 1000’s of new jobs…’

My company does it for us!

They have insufficient units, hence we sit round waiting for ‘one-to-come-home’ and they are taking-on drivers full-employed & via the agency too. :smiley:

darren1000:

I like this, I always had the same view when working for Swifts, Tesco and the very brief time at TDG. It doesn’t take a lot, just work to the rules and you could all earn an hour overtime every day and job security. Swifts tried to cut our hours at one time and only pay 10 hours a shift so we decided to only work 10 hours, no matter where we were we just stopped after 10 hours, Swifts were totally screwed up :laughing: They couldn’t keep up with sending guys in company cars to collect the drivers, plus the costs of night out money which by law they had to pay that within a week we not only got our shift pay put back at a minumum of 11 hours, we also got anything over that and they set on 2 more night drivers.
When drivers cut up the job by rushing around they only ruin things for their workmates and eventually themselves.

darren1000:

Hiya look at it this way darren, you need your garden restyled… you get a quote Say £120 a day for 3 days.
you come home and find 2 chaps drinking tea. they also say they think it,ll take one extra day because
we have no work next week. how would you feel. if you don,t really like driving I,d give it up.

OP sounds like a ■■■■■ I feel sorry for whoever employs someone like you. You’re more likely to lose your job because your boss/company goes bankrupt.

SwedishSteel:
OP sounds like a [zb], I feel sorry for whoever employs someone like you. You’re more likely to lose your job because your boss/company goes bankrupt.

Most of these companies are far from bankrupt because they make huge amounts off the backs of people who rush round and save them money. I know lots who plead poverty and hard times but do they take that pay cut or give up their huge bonuses ? … No ! they lay off another driver and expect the remaining workers to do the extra required. I have no sympathy for the greed of CEO’s and company directors.

Pat Hasler:

SwedishSteel:
OP sounds like a [zb], I feel sorry for whoever employs someone like you. You’re more likely to lose your job because your boss/company goes bankrupt.

Most of these companies are far from bankrupt because they make huge amounts off the backs of people who rush round and save them money. I know lots who plead poverty and hard times but do they take that pay cut or give up their huge bonuses ? … No ! they lay off another driver and expect the remaining workers to do the extra required. I have no sympathy for the greed of CEO’s and company directors.

Pat, you keep saying about drivers rushing around, that is different to both doing your job to the best of your ability and also to hanging the job out.

Hiya… you should have been on the docks in the 70,s i,ve sat at canada dock for 2 days
with 1 x25 litre drum, talk about stretching it out, we needed to chase around after holdups
like we had years ago. hull docks had a sceme were they tipped 6 vehicles per shift.
if 6 lorries drove in with one pallet each that was the shift over. now you could hang around there,
about 7 hours waiting for the next shift to start.
John

Pat Hasler:

darren1000:

I like this, I always had the same view when working for Swifts, Tesco and the very brief time at TDG.

And Swift and TDG are where now exactly? And how many drivers work for Tesco now compared to then? Yeah great idea…