If This Ain't a Positive Fit I Don't Know What Is

From CPMG twitter feed

This HGV was seen on the M6 in the @StaffsPolice area with its curtain sides bulging, once stopped the reason why became clear, the load wasn’t secured anywhere. Driver reported and not allowed to move untill it was secured.

And how in ■■■■■ name do you put straps over this lot?? I am so glad I only have three months left of this game… But I guess there is still time to fall foul of those that should be obeyed!

As far as i’m concerned the straps he’s thrown over the outside of the trailer should suffice, but WTF do i know, just a cash cow for DVSA :imp: :imp: :imp:

cash cow…loaded and secured more than adequately.
nothing more than vostapo obeying orders and following the rule book to the pathetic letter.

So obv they stopped the driver issued a fine for an insecure load. Then what?
Do they let him.go on his way.
Or do the actually tell /show him.how it should be strapped safely.
As im.guessing vosa don’t have a clue on how to secure a load.
So how can then deem it’s insecure.

RIPPER:
As far as i’m concerned the straps he’s thrown over the outside of the trailer should suffice, but WTF do i know, just a cash cow for DVSA :imp: :imp: :imp:

Agree on both those points.
Where tf is that load of plastic going to go exactly, even if it ends up on it’s side…so how exactly is it insecure in ANY way??
All this crap should be taken on by somebody in a court of law, enough is enough, it’s a ■■■■ ■■■■■■■■■
As I’ve said before, the Police and Vosa are a bunch of ■■■■ wonkers, who are just out to get money out of us, while we try and make a living :smiling_imp:

There is a way to strap this, but it’s tedious.
After each row of bails,the driver has to put the ratchet strap over the row, using a mini step ladder if he has one. This being done before the next row is loaded.
H&S would also do a merry dance ( not) if you were to load it this way.

The problem is a lot of companies won’t allow the driver anywhere near the truck while it’s being loaded.

So easy for VOSA to say it’s not safe.

Can’t win either way.

If that was a load bearing curtain, there wouldn’t be an issue. Once again, the employer sends a driver out without the proper equipment knowing that if the driver refuses, they’ll simply get another one.

It seems the employer fines are so low, it’s cheaper to get pulled than to buy proper trailers.

The only thing that’s a ■■■■ take here isn’t the police or DVSA it’s the driver and clearly some of you on here who think it’s acceptable to run around with that load totally unstrapped. No it’s not got to fall out of the curtain even if the trailer goes on it’s side but that could seriously hurt someone when the curtain is opened and one of the top one falls off on you. If you’ve only unbuckled the curtain and not pulled it back yet you won’t even see it fall. Those things are hardly the most stable when stacked up. If it’s too close to the roof to pull internals over then refuse to take it or take it with it only 2 high but not 3 high.

Is this a Gerry Jones Transport, Cwncarn trailer?

DickyNick:
The only thing that’s a ■■■■ take here isn’t the police or DVSA it’s the driver and clearly some of you on here who think it’s acceptable to run around with that load totally unstrapped. No it’s not got to fall out of the curtain even if the trailer goes on it’s side but that could seriously hurt someone when the curtain is opened and one of the top one falls off on you. If you’ve only unbuckled the curtain and not pulled it back yet you won’t even see it fall. Those things are hardly the most stable when stacked up. If it’s too close to the roof to pull internals over then refuse to take it or take it with it only 2 high but not 3 high.

Well do pardon me mate. :open_mouth:

I’ve carried those all over UK and W. Europe, never had any probs, (maybe because I don’t drive like a ■■■■)
Even if some of the top layer was a bit iffy, when you loosen the curtains, (unless you are some guy with a guide dog and thick sunglasses) you would see the top pallet leaning into the curtain and avoid it…but again H&S hissy fit time. :unamused:
The straps over the roof were sufficient in ‘Realworld’ but maybe not in 'Theoryworld eh?
There is a way of strapping them internally with ratchets and straps, but I can not be arsed to explain.
You will probably know anyway judging by the ‘confident’ tone of your post. :neutral_face:

defo cash earner, i got stopped a while ago, the joke was that where i was collecting from there is a scrap yard just down the road, and the amount of transit pickups ect overloaded, or nothing holding scrap on ect was/is ridiculous and i was pointing this out but was told in certain terms to shut up as i was digging a hole for myself,

dle1uk:
defo cash earner, i got stopped a while ago, the joke was that where i was collecting from there is a scrap yard just down the road, and the amount of transit pickups ect overloaded, or nothing holding scrap on ect was/is ridiculous and i was pointing this out but was told in certain terms to shut up as i was digging a hole for myself,

■■■■ em, you’re entitled to your (valid) opinion…what’s the worst they could do?

Im not outraged by the pics above as its what I would have done but, walking floors and possibly ejector trailers are made to move this product easy so its down to the haulier taking the job using a curtain sider and the customer loading it on there instead of the extra money the waste companies might have been quoting.

DickyNick:

Even if you’re right about that, that’s not within DVSA’s remit, that would be a H&S issue at the site.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

How about throwing a strap over the top when two high and just let the top one go unstrapped, surely the curtain would hold that one in place ■■

Geoffo:
There is a way to strap this, but it’s tedious.
After each row of bails,the driver has to put the ratchet strap over the row, using a mini step ladder if he has one. This being done before the next row is loaded.
H&S would also do a merry dance ( not) if you were to load it this way.

The problem is a lot of companies won’t allow the driver anywhere near the truck while it’s being loaded.

So easy for VOSA to say it’s not safe.

Can’t win either way.

Could’ve just turned up to swap trailers and it was already loaded similar to what happens to recycling at our place.

Ziltoid:

DickyNick:

Even if you’re right about that, that’s not within DVSA’s remit, that would be a H&S issue at the site.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It wouldn’t be if the possibility of it falling off on site goes to the question of whether it would also fall off onto the road (including when law officers are going about the reasonable enquiries or inspections which they may be entitled to perform).

Whether a load is secure does not just include how the load is intended to be dealt with whilst out on the road. For example, nobody intends to turn the trailer on its side in an accident. It includes how it may in fact end up being dealt with.

The Road Traffic legislation simply specifies an offence if the vehicle is used on a road and the manner of securing “involves danger to any person”. It is not specified that the person caused danger must actually be on the road.

In other words, if you accept that the manner of securing the load looks likely to be dangerous to a person on site at the destination, then you’ve already cooked your goose with the DVSA.

hsl.gov.uk/publications-and … e-law-says

So basically next time, you turn up at Mr supermarkets to collect a loaded trailer of recycling, Can’t take that it’s not strapped.

biggriffin:
So basically next time, you turn up at Mr supermarkets to collect a loaded trailer of recycling, Can’t take that it’s not strapped.

If you are stupid enough to take a locked trailer with an unknown load you get what you deserve, the lack of knowledge and professionalism evident by some drivers in the forum goes a very long way to explain public ( and the authorities) perception of the industry.