If there was a driver shortage

sammym:

Londontrucker123:

sammym:
However the agency did say that after a few months they would put me through class one if I agreed to work for them for another 6 months.

Welcome to the world of complete and utter agency bollox.

They are paying me £130 a day after tax to drive a wagon. Admittedly those are long days - but I think the rate is great for a new pass. I know this rate as it’s what’s gone into my bank account.

I don’t see the problem with agencies personally. They have been good to me, they have done what they promised etc… I’m not knocking them until they mess me about.

I said i couldn’t work tomorrow because of an appointment in the afternoon. They came back and gave me an earlier start time and a guaranteed finish. I couldn’t ask for anything more.

That’s all well n good, but pay for your class 1…? Did they give you that in writing?

And just to add, for £130.00 a day take home, you would need to be looking at about £175.00 gross. So at £11 an hour that would be just shy of 16 hours on duty a day, before your deductions for breaks. Not trying to start an argument mate but something about your numbers and claims just do not add up. New pass on a class 2 on over £170.00 a shift AND they offered to pay for your Class 1 ■■ Not a chance.

Butcher:
…Happy to do 15 hour shifts, any start times, whatever…

:confused: :confused: … Seriously? Youd be "happy" to work nearly twice as long in one day / night/ day-night-day, whatever, shift than most of the rest of the population? Youd be “happy” starting at what ever time, 0100hrs, 0400 hrs etc, putting in a 15 hour working shift?
There is being keen to work, then there is being absolutely desperate to do any work, at any time, for any amount of hours for…how much??

Londontrucker123:

sammym:

Londontrucker123:

sammym:
However the agency did say that after a few months they would put me through class one if I agreed to work for them for another 6 months.

Welcome to the world of complete and utter agency bollox.

They are paying me £130 a day after tax to drive a wagon. Admittedly those are long days - but I think the rate is great for a new pass. I know this rate as it’s what’s gone into my bank account.

I don’t see the problem with agencies personally. They have been good to me, they have done what they promised etc… I’m not knocking them until they mess me about.

I said i couldn’t work tomorrow because of an appointment in the afternoon. They came back and gave me an earlier start time and a guaranteed finish. I couldn’t ask for anything more.

That’s all well n good, but pay for your class 1…? Did they give you that in writing?

And just to add, for £130.00 a day take home, you would need to be looking at about £175.00 gross. So at £11 an hour that would be just shy of 16 hours on duty a day, before your deductions for breaks. Not trying to start an argument mate but something about your numbers and claims just do not add up. New pass on a class 2 on over £170.00 a shift AND they offered to pay for your Class 1 ■■ Not a chance.

I got paid: £269 for two days work - so slightly more. This was two 14.5 hour days. Or 13.75 after I had my break. I’m happy to forward my pay slip onto you in confidence.

One was a day shift and one a night shift. So pay changed depending on which one.

Admittedly I’m currently earning below my tax allowance. But that includes NI, Umbrella fees, and any other fees. I think £134.5 a day is okay - especially as I spend half the day on ‘other work’ which means I’m reading my kindle.

And no I didn’t get the offer for class one in writing. They brought it up and I told them no. Simply because I know where I want to do it. And i have no intention of either working full time or being ties to anyone.

But for now, I’m happy. It seems like to me there is a shortage. I’m being paid well and offered loads of work. So I can’t complain.

[/quote]
I got paid: £269 for two days work - so slightly more. This was two 14.5 hour days. Or 13.75 after I had my break. I’m happy to forward my pay slip onto you in confidence.

One was a day shift and one a night shift. So pay changed depending on which one.

Admittedly I’m currently earning below my tax allowance. But that includes NI, Umbrella fees, and any other fees. I think £134.5 a day is okay - especially as I spend half the day on ‘other work’ which means I’m reading my kindle.

And no I didn’t get the offer for class one in writing. They brought it up and I told them no. Simply because I know where I want to do it. And i have no intention of either working full time or being ties to anyone.

But for now, I’m happy. It seems like to me there is a shortage. I’m being paid well and offered loads of work. So I can’t complain.
[/quote]
There is no need for you to forward your payslip to me, I’m not HMRC.

If you are paying Umbrella fees, you will generally be paying both your NI and employers NI contributions, which do amount to a fair bit, Umbrella fees, am guessing what £20 - £25 quid,and other fees which I don’t know cos you didn’t mention what they are for. Your tax per week is (should be…) pro-rated, but regardless are you really saying you are on the equivalent of what £42 - £45K a year as a new Class 2 pass ? If so, who is this wonderful agency then?

I’ve PM’d you agency and exact numbers.

Before tax and fees my wage two days was: £316.25

So: £13 for umbrella. £18.98 employers NI. £15.27 employees NI.

After everything I got paid £269. Which I’m happy with.

Apparently I’d earn even more if I went Ltd. So I might look into this.

sammym:

It’s ok you don’t have to do this, it wouldn’t be fair for me to look at another man’s wages, so I will delete your PM unread if ok.

But let me ask you this. Which part of the country are you in that is paying such fantastic money?

maybe op you’ve done any shift / hours before and are ok with it , but 15 hrs at midnight I m h o is a lot different to 5/6 am , I would think long term it would be detrimental to your health , isn’t it known as graveyard shift :exclamation: , that said I’ve not done the 4 days your on about so maybe that would make a difference , best of luck whatever

dieseldog999:
i think were looking like a bit of an OOPS!!! scenario in hull tonight… :smiley:
memo…if your gong to spout pish and lie,make sure your consistent… :wink:

What are you bleating on about? Oh and I don’t live in Hull. There’s more distance between me and Hull than there is between Belfast and Bangor.

eagerbeaver:
This weeks pay slip for you (51.75 hrs) must have been one of those rare occasions then. Even though they mostly occur in October…

They might only occur in October for someone like you when the demand for drivers is so high that they’ll take any incompetent halfwit and allow them to get away with making cockups that any other time of the year would ensure you were never asked back but for those of us who’ve been there quite a while we can have them whenever. In 2016 before I took 10 months out from driving I was doing full weeks there when I wanted them from the beginning of the year to when I knocked it on the head in December because like this year the post October lull didn’t happen.

sammym:

That works out about ( 316 ÷ 27.5) £11.50 per hour. Sounds about right.

bullitt:

Butcher:

:confused: :confused: … Seriously? Youd be "happy" to work nearly twice as long in one day / night/ day-night-day, whatever, shift than most of the rest of the population? Youd be “happy” starting at what ever time, 0100hrs, 0400 hrs etc, putting in a 15 hour working shift?
There is being keen to work, then there is being absolutely desperate to do any work, at any time, for any amount of hours for…how much??

+1. :laughing:

Quality driver.png

Just bang it September till April… .then take the rest of the year off.
You won’t pay any tax till Xmas… either :wink:

And…as a tramper…you’ll still drag,what an unskilled factory bod,earns all year.

bullitt:

Butcher:

I’d rather NOT do 15 hours etc…but to be able to do it over 4 days is better than 5. That was my point.

As I see it the only shortage is one of experienced drivers and companies ain’t doing enough to help new recruits gain said experience.

This leads them hobbling down the agency path which is fine to get some experience but risks are high from the get go with those agency recruits being a little over zealous with their experience claims, leading to the enviable catch 22 of having agency experience which isn’t the same as fulltime work experience.

Let’s face it you could be god’s gift to limping but never be anywhere near as good as an average fulltime employee looking for a new job.

Agency Drivers CV:
1998 - 2018= 10 years on the limp…

Next!!!

Londontrucker123:

sammym:

It’s ok you don’t have to do this, it wouldn’t be fair for me to look at another man’s wages, so I will delete your PM unread if ok.

But let me ask you this. Which part of the country are you in that is paying such fantastic money?

Birmingham. Agency in Nottingham only give me £9/hour but that’s paye. Would be £11 again if i was self employed.

Been told I’d get £2/hour more an hour for class 1 so I’ll be doing that whenever I’m totaly comfortable in class 2. Apparently the self employed trampers at the agency invoice a grand a week. But that’s wouldn’t be for me.

sammym:

Londontrucker123:

sammym:

Birmingham. Agency in Nottingham only give me £9/hour but that’s paye. Would be £11 again if i was self employed.

Been told I’d get £2/hour more an hour for class 1 so I’ll be doing that whenever I’m totaly comfortable in class 2. Apparently the self employed trampers at the agency invoice a grand a month. But that’s wouldn’t be for me.

So you are 'self employed '? And not paying tax? And working at Uni?

Am I the only one who finds sammy’s style very similar to a certain refrigeration expert?

Now the grand a week line has been dropped. Wind-up.

Dipper_Dave:
As I see it the only shortage is one of experienced drivers and companies ain’t doing enough to help new recruits gain said experience.

This leads them hobbling down the agency path which is fine to get some experience but risks are high from the get go with those agency recruits being a little over zealous with their experience claims, leading to the enviable catch 22 of having agency experience which isn’t the same as fulltime work experience.

Let’s face it you could be god’s gift to limping but never be anywhere near as good as an average fulltime employee looking for a new job.

Agency Drivers CV:
1998 - 2018= 10 years on the limp…

Next!!!

Think your maths skills need updating Uncle Dave…

Londontrucker…its often advertised as class 1 drivers wanted £145-£150 a shift for london firms…if you approach the right ones…thats cash in hand…one firm close to me offers a guaranteed take home of £600 for a 5 day week…so all is not gloom my friend…there are some good paying companies around.