If there was a driver shortage

…then surely we would all be able to pick and choose jobs/ hours/ shifts etc?

I’ve been looking around at a four day week. Monday to Thursday, or Tuesday to Friday. Happy to do 15 hour shifts, any start times, whatever.
Class 2 only, and can’t get a look in anywhere.

So this ‘’ alleged" driver shortage really must be garbage, as many on here have stated.

Butcher:
So this ‘’ alleged" driver shortage really must be garbage

Stop the presses! :laughing:

Of course the driver shortage is a myth created by training schools and agencies. It’s been going on for years. Until the UK stops letting in thousands upon thousands of Eastern Europeans there will never be a driver shortage.

Butcher:

I’ve been looking around at a four day week. Monday to Thursday, or Tuesday to Friday. Happy to do 15 hour shifts, any start times, whatever.

So this ‘’ alleged" driver shortage really must be garbage, as many on here have stated.

Only thing I see wrong with this is who’s driving the truck on the day you don’t want to work? How many full week jobs are there?

Only wanting to work 4 days means another driver needs to be found for the other days, and agency cover will cost more than you.

You need to have a class one to do those sort of shifts in my opinion, as you are severely limiting your options with just a class 2 licence.

4 on 3 off would be as rare as hens teeth I’d say. I think there might be a driver on here who is working that pattern though.

Mickey mouse:
Of course the driver shortage is a myth created by training schools and agencies. It’s been going on for years. Until the UK stops letting in thousands upon thousands of Eastern Europeans there will never be a driver shortage.

Therefore…

If we hadn’t been inundated with EE drivers, there would be a driver shortage.

think the only way you get that is on agency but you be on the bottom of the pile if you only want to work them shifts. Now if you want to work Fri sat sun mon each week they be kissing you arse!

The fabled 4 day week and no weekend working. There’s a reason you can’t find it.

Some of us already have it. I don’t want to drive full time any more so I don’t. I’ll occasionally put in the odd 5 day week from time to time mostly during October and the week before Xmas when its really busy but usually I just do 3-4.

However the downside is it pretty much means agency and being willing to go to more than one place if you don’t want to end up on a 4 on 4 off shift pattern working weekends. Also it only tends to be a situation you end in once you’ve been at an agency for a while and have gained a decent reputation with the agency clients so you can pick and choose what jobs you do because if you’re any good you’ll get to a point where the clients start asking for you. Upside is that being agency the money is usually more per hour than it would be on a fulltime job so it makes up for some of the shortfall. I don’t want to drive full time any more so I don’t. I’ll occasionally put in the odd 5 day week from time to time mostly during October and the week before Xmas when its really busy but usually I just do 3-4.

Conor:
Some of us already have it. I don’t want to drive full time any more so I don’t. I’ll occasionally put in the odd 5 day week from time to time mostly during October and the week before Xmas when its really busy but usually I just do 3-4.

However the downside is it pretty much means agency and being willing to go to more than one place if you don’t want to end up on a 4 on 4 off shift pattern working weekends. Also it only tends to be a situation you end in once you’ve been at an agency for a while and have gained a decent reputation with the agency clients so you can pick and choose what jobs you do because if you’re any good you’ll get to a point where the clients start asking for you. Upside is that being agency the money is usually more per hour than it would be on a fulltime job so it makes up for some of the shortfall. I don’t want to drive full time any more so I don’t. I’ll occasionally put in the odd 5 day week from time to time mostly during October and the week before Xmas when its really busy but usually I just do 3-4.

This weeks pay slip for you (51.75 hrs) must have been one of those rare occasions then. Even though they mostly occur in October…

i think were looking like a bit of an OOPS!!! scenario in hull tonight… :smiley:
memo…if your gong to spout pish and lie,make sure your consistent… :wink:

Some valid points made here.

I’m quite envious of you Conor!
Unfortunately, I’ve never wanted to go down the class one route.
I gained class 2 when I was 40 and have been very fortunate to work for some decent outfits with decent pay and conditions, so never " needed" to go to the next level.

Now 16 years later, I’m just after a bit more family /hobby time. Can’t retire, but don’t need to chase the money as much, that’s all.
Present company have offered me a day per month off, which is not to be sniffed at.

I’ll keep sniffing around. It’s not an issue for me yet.
Agency is an option to think about. Started off on agency and was kept busy so I know what to expect. ( Well to a degree anyway)

Brexit may, or may not change things during this ," transition period" being talked about. No one knows for sure.

If the EE drivers do leave our shores, then any vacancies could maybe get filled with employer funded training. Just means that “Newbies” will have to agree to stay with that employer until all training costs are re paid, and they’ll be on minimum wage, but at least it would be a start for them.

dieseldog999:
i think were looking like a bit of an OOPS!!! scenario in hull tonight… :smiley:

Watch this space Brother dog… I’m going for the old, " I did 4 day’s Mon - Thurs to help them out. 3 x 13 and a 12.75 hour early dart Thurs " :grimacing: :wink:

Butcher:

It’s the old supply and demand scenario, no? If companies can offer Class 1 drivers around £9 per hour straight thru for up to 60 hour weeks then think it’s safe to say there is an over supply. There are exceptions to this of course, but it’s pretty much the norm now almost everywhere in my experience. Will it be changing anytime soon? Who knows…?

With the hours most drivers do everyone should be on a 4 day week, most of us do a weeks work in 4 days so you are doing your 5 day for nothing and thats a fact
The sad thing is we Will all be fools and love been taken for a ride weather it be the bling or the stubbornness of it
We Will never learn, there is too many jobs out there paying buttons and too many fools to do it

If there was a driver shortage then new passes would be able to sign up for an agency and be offered work the same day. They would be offered so much work they were turning it down. And when they signed up for two agencies they would be able to pick and choose where they work from.

That’s my experience I passed less than a month ago (just). This is in the ‘slowest’ time of the year.

Rate might be too low for some on here at £11/hour for days and £12/hour nights. That’s for class 2. But I think it’s fair for my total lack of knowledge/experience. I’m going to do 8/9 more shifts and then go class 1. However the agency did say that after a few months they would put me through class one if I agreed to work for them for another 6 months. However that doesn’t work for me so I’ll pay myself.

eagerbeaver:

dieseldog999:

Watch this space Brother dog… I’m going for the old, " I did 4 day’s Mon - Thurs to help them out. 3 x 13 and a 12.75 hour early dart Thurs " :grimacing: :wink:

Aye more like 4days thinking what pish a can spout.Or the old chestnut of im the most respected driver on the agency books but only do night trunks.

sammym:
However the agency did say that after a few months they would put me through class one if I agreed to work for them for another 6 months.

Welcome to the world of complete and utter agency bollox.

Londontrucker123:

sammym:
However the agency did say that after a few months they would put me through class one if I agreed to work for them for another 6 months.

Welcome to the world of complete and utter agency bollox.

They are paying me £130 a day after tax to drive a wagon. Admittedly those are long days - but I think the rate is great for a new pass. I know this rate as it’s what’s gone into my bank account.

I don’t see the problem with agencies personally. They have been good to me, they have done what they promised etc… I’m not knocking them until they mess me about. I was already working for them when they said this… And i had already paid my deposit with the forum sponsor for class one at a discounted rate. So they gain nothing by being dishonest.

I said I couldn’t work tomorrow because of an appointment in the afternoon. They came back and gave me an earlier start time and a guaranteed finish. I couldn’t ask for anything more.

I’m just not cynical yet. But I have not been messed around yet. When I signed up I signed to say I’d cover any damage - when I smashed two trucks on the first shift they still paid me my full wage. And they are still offering me work - and lots of it. They are great as far as I’m concerned.