If I Get My Hands On

this happened to me coming down the a1 from berwick to newcastle last night.some tth truck sat doing 37mph on the cruise control,the entire length of the single track,as soon as he hit the dual he was away…however,i crawled past him at alnwick,gave him the obligatary horn,hand gesture and 50mph sign,pulled in front of him and slowed him down on the dual.IF he pulled out i would have kept him there to return the pure selfish consideration he showed to the 2 mile queue(i exaggerate not) behind him.its easy really and courtesy.sit at whatever speed you want on the single,but every so often,show consideration to other motorists and pull over to let the traffic clear,and if you stick to the speed limit on the single,pay the same compliment to the dual.i feel,its more dangerous to other road users for hgv"s to be limited to 40mph,just take a look at the queue behind me last night tells me all i need to know.people taking risks to overtake,after frustration eventually gets the better of them,and what about an emergency service vehicle that could be sitting at the back of the queue trying to get to an incident as quickly as possible.the sooner the speed limit is raised the better,i firmly believe accident rates involving hgv"s would decrease.

Wheel Nut:
It is a lovely drive up there, why the rush? :laughing:

Your I shift gearbox must have been happy enough to pootle along in top gear, 10.2mpg as well. Well done!

sorry wheel nut,but some of us dont all drive supermarket trolleys stretching the job and pay out without a care in the world.some of us are trying to get a load off before the place shuts.(dont anyone reply with the “well your allocator should blah blah blah…heard it all before,but some of us live in the world called reality”).

Olog Hai:
i just love it. an irish motor pulling a norfolk line fridge and its driver is lecturing on reckless and inconsiderate driving.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

some guys out there reeeeeealy need to calm down and chill out a bit.

you obviously dont use the a1,a9,a7,a77,a76,a75,a69,on a daily basis do you?,otherwise you wouldnt make a comment like that.nuff said!.

ROG:
He may have had a faulty speedo :bulb: but even if he had, then seeing a large queue building up behind, I would have thought that a driver not in a hurry would have pulled over somewhere safe for 10 seconds to allow others by.

I do this myself. Quite often I use the A48 Gloucester to Chepstow road which is littered with speed cameras so whilst being cautious of the speed camera (& being in no patucular rush) & feel that it’s common sense to do so.

ROG:
He may have had a faulty speedo :bulb: but even if he had, then seeing a large queue building up behind, I would have thought that a driver not in a hurry would have pulled over somewhere safe for 10 seconds to allow others by.

paulfromwire:
I do this myself. Quite often I use the A48 Gloucester to Chepstow road which is littered with speed cameras so whilst being cautious of the speed camera (& being in no patucular rush) & feel that it’s common sense to do so.

I think a lot do :smiley: - it’s always the minority that get noticed when doing something selfish

I don’t understand the speeding up on the duals thing either tbh. On a slightly different note, I ended pulling into a layby on the A444 the other day heading north from Nuneaton. Was stuck behind a tractor at twenty five. There was no way I could get my truck past him because of the volume of traffic coming the other way and the shelfish git went past three laybys without stopping. Once I saw the third potential accident involving frustated car drivers I pulled into the next layby and pulled back out to join the back of the queue. The problem was the car drivers were seeing a lorry, pulling out for the overtake and then getting caught out when they realised there was a tractor pulling a huge trailer in front of it.

tofer:
The problem was the car drivers were seeing a lorry, pulling out for the overtake and then getting caught out when they realised there was a tractor pulling a huge trailer in front of it.

I’ll bet you know what I am about to ask…

… why didn’t you leave a large gap between your truck and the tractor so the little darlings could play leap-frog :question:

ROG:

tofer:
The problem was the car drivers were seeing a lorry, pulling out for the overtake and then getting caught out when they realised there was a tractor pulling a huge trailer in front of it.

… why didn’t you leave a large gap between your truck and the tractor so the little darlings could play leap-frog :question:

It started out as my usual safe stopping distance but once I had a couple of cars in it and one idiot tried to go the whole hog and nearly got wiped out by a truck going the other way I took the oppurtunity to pull over and let them have their accident without me.

tofer:

ROG:

tofer:

It started out as my usual safe stopping distance but once I had a couple of cars in it and one idiot tried to go the whole hog and nearly got wiped out by a truck going the other way I took the oppurtunity to pull over and let them have their accident without me.

AH !! - you tried to be ‘nice’ but they still went silly - YES? - in that case you did the right thing as in get out of it asasp

That about sums it up Rog, yes.

Olog Hai:
i just love it. an irish motor pulling a norfolk line fridge and its driver is lecturing on reckless and inconsiderate driving.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

some guys out there reeeeeealy need to calm down and chill out a bit.

Totally agree Olog! I’ve yet to come across a Manfreight driver (whether he’s irish or not!) that doesn’t tailgate 2ft up the arse of all other road users!

You should spend less time polishing your shiny red trucks and learn how to drive them.

:unamused: :unamused:

Whilst were are on this subject -
How many truckers leave that ‘leap-frog’ gap when there is no chance of an overtake :question:

I love the fact that drivers who stick to the speed limits and value their licences are given ■■■■■■ signs and v signs , and get the horn blasted at them for doing their job. Kinda gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

:smiley:

scottishcruiser:

Kenny1975:
I’m working out there at the moment, and no it wasnt me lol

I agree on roads like the A77 or the A75 going to the Newton Stewart shop its insane to hold up traffic so much, we have trackers on our vehicles, but then again ive been working there on and off for a few years and never have been pulled up for speeding by the tracker.

Plus as well the Mercs we have now are pieces of crap, he was prob sitting on the cruise control at 40mph but these are such gutless trucks even thinks there is slight incline will drop to 30mph !

Is no need for it on roads like the A77 or the A75 to hold up traffic that much espec since there is people on much tighter deadlines, if i were forced to go such slow speeds which i have been in the past i’d be pulling into layby’s every so often to let people by. Tesco trucks on the A75 used to always let me past when i was going for the boat when i worked outta Cairnryan.

Are you working for Sainsburys just now?? If so are use not allwed to take the A714 from Girvan through Barhill then onto Newton Stewart? Maybe not as good a road but it be quicker than the route these numpties are taking (Girvan - Stranraer - Newton Stewart), especially when there meddling with boat traffic. Wouldn’t surprise me the least if you find one in a ditch somewhere as not many people (Some fast trotting lorries of the boat) will stand for that carry on wether its the rules or not. Ive never been that slow to let people by but if I was then I would as I dont think I could face teh embaresssment of holding X amount of traffic knowing it was down to me.

Yeah i,m there just now, ive not been to the newton stewart store yet, in fact i prob will never see it i’m agency so always get hit with the localish stuff central scotland, which suits me can rack up 13-15 hours doing a three cental Scotland stores compared to going somewhere like Newcastle or Aberdeen which is a 10 hour shift. Kinross is a big long trip for me these days, even got to go to Saltcoats once.

Seen the sheet for Newton Stewart store and they route they suggest is A77 down to Stranraer then along the A75, but it is only a suggestion (i think). Ive never been specifically told not to go a certain route, i do the Peebles store and your told to go along the M8, then city bypass, then down the A703, but i always cut across country along the A72, then A721 to Carluke and ive never been told off for doing it. Then again going from EK to Stewarton the route sheet tells you to go into Kilmarnock and out to Kilmaurs, where id go across the old Eaglesham moor road and then the B778 to Stewarton.

Depends whos driving a lot wont stick to the 40mph speed limit, some will though never normally been as heavy handed about it like other supermarkets. If i were doing it prob would go down the A714 cause ive done the A77 and A75 far too many times. Infact i’d prob give going across the Galloway Hill, up by the Stincher a shot, past Kirkmicheal and Straiton, see plenty of timber trucks up them roads, i prefer making the journey more interesting.

A lot of the ones doing Newton Stewart supposedly go down the coast one way and go back the other way via Dumfries and the A702 back onto the 74.

andy best:
wot i the carnt under stand is the A1 newcastle to edinburgh is 40MPH for trucks so why do certain supermarket trucks sit at 40 cos if they speed its breakin the law but wen they get on the duel carrage way they speed up to 56mph wots that about

that wont be iceland then :laughing:
the timesheet tells us when we are due to leave the depot and when we are due back. the normal practice is to hammer it round the route and get some kip on the way back :sunglasses:

or in my case spend 2 hours stuffing my face, drinking coffee and having a chinwag with Adam at the burger van at the border :blush:

ANDY1961:
Totally agree Olog! I’ve yet to come across a Manfreight driver (whether he’s irish or not!) that doesn’t tailgate 2ft up the arse of all other road users!
You should spend less time polishing your shiny red trucks and learn how to drive them.
:unamused: :unamused:

Not many polish the trucks, but those that do is those that pride themselves in there units and dont want to live in what seem like tatty metal tins. We dont treat (try not to nyways) the lorries as just a work horse, although thats what it is, as we live in these 3 nights a week etc…

As for tailgating, cant say I do it much, cant comment for others, but if someone is being a ■■■■■ as this Sainsburys driver is then I will be right at his arse so he knows I want by and by god he better let me by. Trust me im tame to other drivers I have seen lately.

It should be common sense that if you wish to travel at a stupid speed, one that is seriously not safe to do, then pull over and let everyone by, as everyone knows FRUSTRATION CAUSES ACCIDENTS.

At the end of the day 40mph on A roads is the law, if you dont like it, overtake or respect the guy for keeping his license clean…

Little thing I did the other day, went to Cwmbran from Mold, going down did 45 - 50 all the way, took 3 hours 47 minutes (Light load apx 6 tons) Coming back thought sod it, set the cruise at 42mph, ran up to 49 on dual carrigeways, took me 3 hours 56 minutes to get back (Came back empty)…

Big difference eh?

Arent some of the newer lorries fitted with trakkers by the supermarkets, i assume thats why they stick religously to the speed limit, so they dont lose their job :question:

Been running up and own the A303 alot this week and come up against a few trucks, not just supermarket ones sticking to the limit and then flooring it on the duel carriageway sections, bloody frustrating :angry:

myself im not bothered about their speed ,if it means their job then so be it obey company rules after the law of the land.
I am getting well fed up tho when i let a trolley dolly on from a slip road etc and just when you are nearly past them in lane 2 they speed up and leave you standing :unamused: you do them a favour and get no thanks in return. in future asda/tesco/stobbies/sainsbury etc etc can go whistle cos i for one am not gonna do that anymore. i am fed up with being made to look a pratt sitting in middle lane on my own. sorry to the guys who do say thanks but your all tarred with the same brush now. :frowning: :frowning:

It doesn’t matter what sort of vehicle it is, this is all too common now. I would have thought that as we are all professionals here and we all have to put up with the same crap every day we could at least manage not to leave someone who has just helped you out hanging.

[/quote]
i would have got out and walked lmao

Not many polish the trucks, but those that do is those that pride themselves in there units and dont want to live in what seem like tatty metal tins. We dont treat (try not to nyways) the lorries as just a work horse, although thats what it is, as we live in these 3 nights a week etc…

As for tailgating, cant say I do it much, cant comment for others, but if someone is being a [zb], as this Sainsburys driver is then I will be right at his arse so he knows I want by and by god he better let me by. Trust me im tame to other drivers I have seen lately.

It should be common sense that if you wish to travel at a stupid speed, one that is seriously not safe to do, then pull over and let everyone by, as everyone knows FRUSTRATION CAUSES ACCIDENTS.
[/quote]
aye thats all ture