Idiots guide to container work

hello been driving for over 20 years and now im going on containers (fun i hope) i have pulled skellys before but they were preloaded just hooked up and brought them back empty but never shortened one or had to go to docks can anyone give me any advice it would be a great help cheers

idiots guide to container work

Hmmm… it might look as though you want an idiot to give you a guide :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29268

try that for starters mate

cheers mate seems to tell you all you need to know, all the bed time is starting to appeal to me at my age just come off walking floor which was rush rush all the time thanks again

remember if the skelly is set at 40ft and the box is lifted off that the pins are in :slight_smile: as it will split as the container is holding the skelly together :open_mouth: :open_mouth: it has been known for drivers to extend the skelly for the container whulst at the docks and forget to put the pins back in :blush: :blush: :smiley: watch out for the bed sores :wink: :wink: :smiley:

beechams0:
just come off walking floor which was rush rush all the time

Should have set it to run a bit slower then! :wink: :laughing:

I like when I stop at a tip and the guy Say’s what you got on drive ■■ I say I have not got the faintest idea, Remember you are just the chauffeur no loading or unloading just plenty of time on the bunk…ZZZZZZ… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

Smee:
I like when I stop at a tip and the guy Say’s what you got on drive ■■ I say I have not got the faintest idea, Remember you are just the chauffeur no loading or unloading just plenty of time on the bunk…ZZZZZZ… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

Smee i love this too !! I usually describe my underwear to them first and then when they laugh, i say i have the container your arranged to be delivered to you!!

ROG:

idiots guide to container work

Hmmm… it might look as though you want an idiot to give you a guide :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Im an Idiot
But seeing that im so lazy nowadays its an effort to get out my cab,I really cant be bothered to explain at the moment :wink:

cheer boys start monday so ill let you know how ive got on with the bed sores oh yes and the skelly thanks

Good luck!

cheers :open_mouth: :confused:

If like me you have been through the mill and done all the s****** jobs in haulage you will take to containers like a duck to water mate just remember to tell the loaders / unloaders not to rock the wagon too much as it “Disturbs Your Beauty Sleep” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Oh and BTW join a library as you will need something to do as even (if your like me) you still need to leave some sleep for night time or as my dearly beloved (the chief test pilot in the broom factory) sez I could sleep on a clothes line at any time :wink: :wink: :wink: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you mean ill have to learn to read ,oh no :unamused: cant i just look at the pictures :open_mouth: , next ill be getting a job in planning :smiling_imp: . scarry thanks for the advice ill get back next week and tell you how ive got on the lads have said no unloading whatever seems strange to just let them do it but here goes

It does seem a bit strange at first mate cos I after all these years find it strange to say the least that you just open the doors and say “let me know when you are done” but the reason is simple “the shippers don,t insure you to work in the box” end of story. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

You will get the odd one who puts a pallet truck in the box and says things like ok driver it,s all yours to which my reply is sorry mate it won,t fit on the bunk :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Some will offer you a “Financial Incentive” to unload the box usually 25 or 30 quid and my answer is still no ta mate I am not that short of money :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

love it first week went well no problems well appart from felixstowe being closed due to the weather but enjoyed it

make sure you have a good book to read or a tv to watch, I used to go into Southampton about 5pm to drop off empty can and pick up a loaded one for Woolworths , i could watch neighbours, home and away, emmerdale, corrie, the bill before I was ready to leave the docks most nights!

Bit off topic but container related (apologies). I’ve been trying to get on container work for 2 or 3 months now, ideally I wanted to get on with Maritime Transport (Southampton), every time I phone I’m told they’ll call me back but never do :confused: Maybe I’m too zb old for them? clean licence, experienced class 1, good references, what more do they want? Is there anyone working for Maritime on here?

Tiger.

Just a thought “Fastrantiger” but as they don,t return your calls for whatever reason how about paying them a personal visit to ask for an application form.

A visit might be a better idea for a form or even an possible interview as it might look like you are more interested in a job.

Some companies let you fill in the form and hand it in on a visit.

Good Luck

NEJ:
Just a thought “Fastrantiger” but as they don,t return your calls for whatever reason how about paying them a personal visit to ask for an application form.

Good Luck

Visited them, filled in the forms (twice). But I’ve been reliably informed through a member of this forum that they dont return phone calls, you just have to pester them. Not easy when you’re on the road Monday to Friday :confused:

Tiger.