Ideas for new threads

1. Which was the finest marque of British HGV, Atkinson ?
  2. Why were Fodens crap. :blush: :cry:
  3. Which part of the UK produced the best Drivers , ■■■■■■■ ?
  4. Which area of the UK were most proficient at sheeting and roping , ( I won’t make a suggestion! :wink: )
  5. Why was Scania superior to Volvo.
  6. Which part of the UK do the best Tipper operators come from.
  7. Why did Dave Fergie get exiled to France. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:
    :sunglasses: Why did “H” get chased out of East Lancs ( and many other places!).
  8. Does “CF” really live in Leatherhead
  9. Anyone got any other suggestions for a thread that will stimulate debate !

Have we had Bewick trailers yet ? you could post thousands of them ,then every time someone quotes the same pic could be repeated over and over :laughing: :laughing:

Or a thread why didn’t Bewick have fodens ? Was it bewick drivers couldn’t master the 12 speed or the management could get finance on them ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe there wasn’t such a lucrative market for Foden strokers as there was for those 240 Gardners. Imagine all those Fodens flying up the M6 in SoM livery leaving at least 40 two-strokes in a barn “somewhere” in ■■■■■■■■ He’d have struggled to find customers in Hong Kong for those!

How about a thread on how the Scotch lads were the best at roping & sheeting…

Bewick:

4. Which area of the UK were most proficient at sheeting and roping , ( I won’t make a suggestion! :wink: )
    :sunglasses: Why did “H” get chased out of East Lancs ( and many other places!).

(1) Scammell with Bedford a close second.

(2) They weren’t.

(3) The saf east.

(4) An unusually very small part of the Norf West of England known more for its sheep and rain while some say Scotland.

(5) Because Volvo didn’t know how to make a decent V8 motor.But shame that neither of them knew much about gearboxes either.

(6) The saf east ( London ).

(7) By all accounts it’s a long story.

(8) Because he was the exception that proved the rule regards 4.Although some say he was driving the wagon in this video at 10.58 so as not to upset them and to make them feel superior.

youtube.com/watch?v=5sYR4-nqeI0

1. Not exactly but the general environs and no one from anywhere else in the country seems to know anywhere around here other than Leatherhead on the M25.

10 ) See above. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

(6) north Essex, that’ll be orrright bouy, let at develop,

And they carried the same ideas on into European haulage and further points east…

I still carry the flag for old traditions like that too this day :smiley: :smiley:

How about a confessions thread? Where we can all admit to all the awful things we have done and never told a soul.

New thread maybe? Mr B what I would like to know is why a lump of metal brings so much love hate n debate ? I did it for 10yr n I,m here but not on any other forum. Is there an accounts forum, brickies,shopkeepers,factory,surgeons ? Maybes. But what on earth causes us to do this ?

ChrisArbon:
How about a confessions thread? Where we can all admit to all the awful things we have done and never told a soul.

C B you talking haulage now I hope! Sounds good to me

ChrisArbon:

What a good idea,Dennis would never be off such a thread!!!

David

5thwheel:

ChrisArbon:

What a good idea,Dennis would never be off such a thread!!!

David

They’d have to change Priests three times if I went into the “Box” David ! :blush: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Sorry, it’s not a new thread, but my wife is Catholic (I’m not, but we married anyway) was telling me about confession when they were kids. One of her friends did the ‘forgive me father…etc’ there was a pause and money was pushed across and the priest said ‘Patricia, nip down to the corner shop and get me ten senior service and you’re forgiven!’

John

Punchy Dan:
Or a thread why didn’t Bewick have fodens ? Was it bewick drivers couldn’t master the 12 speed or the management could get finance on them ? :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s one here who never mastered it. I only ever used one for 2 weeks…never once got a ‘clean’ gear. :blush: :blush: :blush:

grumpy old man:

Punchy Dan:

There’s one here who never mastered it. I only ever used one for 2 weeks…never once got a ‘clean’ gear. :blush: :blush: :blush:

They were like card game crib,if somebody didn,t show you how you,d struggle. Boss took me out for a day to put me right, cocked up down shift to 1st low n cracked gearbox casing. He,d been driving em for 30 odd yrs

grumpy old man:

Punchy Dan:

Well at least your honest, I new some drivers years ago who used to boast about the Foden 12 speed box being a doddle, When I challenged them on they way they handled the 12 gears, They were talking ■■■■■■■■ IMO They had never ever drove a Foden 12 speed, The only way to drive them is the correct way, The way they were designed to be use, & Im very proud to say that I drove 12 speed Foden motors & made a good living at the same time, Happy long gone days, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Larry.

Bewick:

Dennis my friend you surprise me when you use the word crap regarding Fodens, Now can you tell me in all honesty that one of you old Akis with a 6 speed D/Brown G/B would be able to stop on a very steep incline & be able to pull away in crawler fully freighted, When I say steep I mean very steep, The old Foden wouldnt even have to engage its lowest gear to achieve moving off trouble free,So you see you missed out on having one of the best british motors ever made, Your old mate frea Carlisle ran loads of them along with many other road hauliers, :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Regards Larry.

Hiya Larry, I just included Fodens in the suggestion list for a “bit spice” guessing quite correctly that there would be “response” from your good self eh! :wink: With regard to Robsons I recall that years ago, when I were lad on the Octopus, there was joke which did the rounds and it went like " How can you spot a Robsons Driver in the Café ? easy it’s the one with a neck shaped like a “U” bend with having to look under the cab roof to see out the windscreen" ! Cheers Dennis.

Reading the Robsons quote, reminded me of times gone by crawling up Shap on the M6 (too young for the old one)and passing on quite a regular basis some of Robson’s two stroke Foden’s who were going so slow they were having to use the hard shoulder to keep out of harms way.

dave docwra:
Reading the Robsons quote, reminded me of times gone by crawling up Shap on the M6 (too young for the old one)and passing on quite a regular basis some of Robson’s two stroke Foden’s who were going so slow they were having to use the hard shoulder to keep out of harms way.

Robsons running 2 strokes on the M 6 On the Shap bit, What year did you see these ? Regards Larry.