Ice Road Truckers... Ask Hugh anything

Hey guys,

Really wasn’t sure what part of the forum to post this in… I thought maybe here…?

I’ve had permission from the Admin (Rikk-UK) to post here on behalf of The History Channel, about season 2 of Ice Road Truckers, An extreme truckers show that some of you, being truckers, may be interested in. We are currently looking for your feedback and thoughts on the series, all of which will be taken on board.

We also have a great chance for fans of the show or anyone interested in trucking on the Ice roads! We want you guys to submit your questions to Hugh from the show, we will put the best ones to him in an interview later this month…

So, ever wondered how cold it gets, how treacherous it is, and what it’s really like to be trucking out on the Ice Roads?

Post your questions here and the best ones will be asked to Hugh… Of course, we’ll let you know of the answer…

Thanks for your time, and we look forward to hearing your feedback/questions.

:smiley:

I thought series 1 was compelling stuff, and have watched the repeats a numbers of times.

Series 2 though for me is rubbish, only watched the first 3 - 4 episodes and then never bothered anymore. not even close to being as good as series 1.

And that idiot Drew makes me want to switch off, he is a total cretin.

Ask hugh if he has any jobs :laughing: :laughing:

bubsy06:
Ask hugh if he has any jobs :laughing: :laughing:

ditto

Agree with TC , series 2 has been boring , boring , boring.

Also can you tell us the truth about why you didn’t film the second series with Tci Clo lan Tran ■■? Is it true that they were not happy with the way you portrayed thier operation and refused to let you film ■■

Why not do a series on Canadian trucking in general , let us Brits see how Canadian truck drivers do the job . Im sure the many drivers thinking of emigrating would be more than interested , and it would give Canadian Transport companies a great oppourtunity to sell themselves instead of putting adverts in the trade press over here :bulb:

or why not do a brit road trucking programme, make sure they visit plenty of rdcs and show how rediculous it is at most of them, also highlight how rubbish msa are.

I’ve got to drive from the Midlands to Liverpool tomorrow, & some snow & rain has been forecast.
The local Police & Highways Agency will almost certainly say “Stay at home unless your journey is absolutely essential.” but I just know my boss will insist that I go.
I’ve already got a super thick sleeping bag, 5 days of food & water rations, a few copies of Razzle, a portable DVD player,& a .303 rifle in case I come across any polar bears, or robbing scousers.
You got any more advice on driving in these extreme conditions, & what to do if Lymm truck stop is closed ?
Oh yeah it will be in the early hours so it will be dark as well! :open_mouth: :laughing:

I do agree that Season 2 wasn’t at all as exciting as Season 1. BUT thats not my main gripe.

My big issue is with the commentator totally blowing little things out of proportion.

There was one episode in S2 where Rick said “Oh that was a bit of a bump” or something along those lines, we immediately get commentary saying “A bump on the ice can cause a truck to overturn, spill its load, plunge through the ice AND EVERYBODY DIES”

Ok I went a bit over the top but really there’s just some things that were so obviously exaggerated that it is laughable.

Keep it real, the kind of people who watch those shows do it to see how other people live their lives, its not a soap drama designed for the kind of people who want to see death at every corner.

OK now my question:

How is Alex doing, and is he still driving?

You could always ask him what it feels like to not be a British trucker, and thus not the best in the world :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_imp:
Of course, you could get him over here, see how he copes with the M25, or the Antwerp ring, the Brussels ring, or the A6/A61 run up through Germany.

Serious question “Does he drive the ice roads because there’s no 4 wheeler traffic up there to get in the way?”
There you go, I even used the local lingo… Now, if he could spare me -20 and 3 foot of snow, I’d be happier than in this flipping drizzle…

yeah agree with most of the above 1st series good but the 2nd got totaly boaring same thing over and over.
I dissagree with above statement saying its not a drama show, im afraid it is the comentators gets carried away a bit.

john

until it goes onto ch5 i wont be seein it,probably the same for a lot o people! :blush: but not heard best of reports,from repeating the same part,to annoying commentary.ist series good tho :slight_smile:

I thought the first series was pretty good, haven’t seen the second one as don’t have Sky.

As has been mentioned. How about a series on British truckers emigrating to Canada. There are shed loads of drivers that emigrate to Canada every month, and there are also a shed load that come back. Why do so many come back broke and disillusioned?

For Hugh, What does he think of the British drivers going out to Canada to work for Canadian firms? Would he come over here for a series on how a Canadian copes with driving a truck in the UK? (if he can find a job that is■■?)

You could ask Hugh…“How many times have you been punched on the nose?”

Nah…Only joking, he is a real person who tells it like it is, I think he does well not to punch some of his drivers on the nose, people are far too soft these days…They forget what it is like to do a real days work in hard conditions. :wink: :wink:

mm havent seen much of s2 but it is abit bzbish as for one of them comin over here :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: i doubt he would get the millions he would be charging still havent seen all s1 been to busy chasing after mi tail in uk. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp:

Series 1 was good, series 2 was ok but in reality it was just a revamped series 1 as it was similar stuff.

It did make a change seeing new faces though :wink: As for Rick ? well I suppose every country has their own pratts including the UK.

However, why not make a series about the drivers whilst the Ice roads are closed or does everything stop and all the drivers hibernate? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Alex has to be the star of that show being twice the man Hugh is, you dont hear Alex boasting about his driving experiences, he’s happy to get on with it. And why did the producers not feel it necessary to update the viewers on Alex’s health after he was out of driving for the remainder of the series after his blood clots on the lungs resulting in hospitalisation?

Surely 2 minutes at the end of the last episode of series 2 letting everyone know how he was wouldn’t be too much to ask?

Although I found IRT interesting I feel it could of been made more interesting by spending a little more time promoting the towns and the businesses that exist there, after all, there’s more to life than an Ice Road and the history around those locations would far outweigh the views of Hugh about other drivers :wink:

Anything out of Hughs mouth is ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■ and ■■■■■■■ .
Ruins the viewing for younger ones , as in they can’t watch what is an interesting series due to this.
Rick the truck wrecker is the same.
Everyone else manages to get by without a potty mouth.

couldnt the history channel send hugh or one of the ice road men tot he uk for a one off special and see how they cope driving our rigs.

paul@midway:
Anything out of Hughs mouth is [zb] [zb] [zb] [zb] and [zb] .
Ruins the viewing for younger ones , as in they can’t watch what is an interesting series due to this.
Rick the truck wrecker is the same.
Everyone else manages to get by without a potty mouth.

You ever sat in an RDC waiting room for several hours?
Can’t say that drivers anywhere in the world are the best trained in elocution and linguistical prowess!

Hugh, did you fail as an owner/operator ?
In series 1 I got the idea you were in your own truck with the other 2 guys working for you.
Series 2 sees you working for someone else ,what happened ?

Would you consider making a series of programmes for the American/Canadia market showing the adventures of U.K based truckers? It could feature many of the exciting scenaros we face everyday such as,

Stuck in a jam on the M6,
Night driver failing to refuel, meaning the day driver has to refuel twice
Numberplate on trailer falling off.
Being told off by TM for trying to defect a vehicle without using the correct defect form.
Being pelted with eggs by children in Willenhall.
Queing up in Sainsburys RDC for 8 hours for the sake of 2 pallets… then having them refused! (this could be a 2 hour special, possibly the basis of a feature film?)

Im sure you agree, the idea has legs. Let me know when you intend to start filming.