I think I've made a big mistake

I’ve been training since mon for my c licence and I think I’ve messed up , I’ve been learning in a manual which was a big mistake on my part . After driving it for 3 days I’m absolutely useless on it . My fault completely , as I havn’t driven a gearbox for 12 years only an auto at work and at home . Been a bit pig headed really I thought I could crack it but I can’t , I’m just gonna grit my teeth and hope for the best on test day gonna b 50/50 at best me thinks

That’s depressing. If you want to mention what the difficulties are, I’ll try to help.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Do a bit of role playing and sit in a chair and go through the gears. Imagine being at a junction, roundabout etc. May sound daft but it may help you take your mind off the negative.

I just think its been to long away from the gears , with more time and without the pressure I could get it , but in four days it’s a bridge to far , I’ll just give it my best on the day and if I blow it I’ll try an auto

Seems reasonable. All the best with it. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanx

curious …does passing a car test in an automatic car allow you to take lessons in LGV?.. im thinking maybe not,just wondering … i know i could look it up but am sure will get answer quicker here thanks

Not according to DVLA must be full B

Does beg the questions if your were allowed to though :

If you take test in auto are you restricted to auto only as your car licence is auto only as well?

If if you pass in manual does that mean your still limited to auto in a car but can drive any type of LGV?

What helped me with the gears (I had to learn by myself as I passed in a auto) is to talk yourself through it. As daft as it sounds it works.

Try this.

“Ok, in second gear, clutch in, over to 4th. I’m now in 4th. Prep the box, clutch down, into netural, wait for the range change, into 5th.” And so on. The biggest thing with gears is not to rush it. The instant you try to fight the box it will win everytime. Take things nice and slow and try not to let things get to you.

to answer the question above, if you have a car licence with an automatic restriction and then pass your truck driving test in an automatic truck you will also receive a restricted truck licence showing you can drive only an auto truck.

or in other words, you must have a manual car licence to get a full manual truck licence, what gearbox the truck has doesn’t matter.

i have 99% of my 25 years driving in manual ,and have “C” test in 4 over 4 slapbox coming soon, I dont feel as though im too worried about it as its all ive known, and can see it clearly in my mind how it works, and am sure will pick it up pretty quick, once i get the feel of the speed to ratio, once passed im thinking i may need some kind of training or practice in an Auto LGV as there seems to be more Auto than manual trucks out there.

that really handicaps a driver i would say only AUTO category.

TROTSKY3:
i have 99% of my 25 years driving in manual ,and have “C” test in 4 over 4 slapbox coming soon, I dont feel as though im too worried about it as its all ive known, and can see it clearly in my mind how it works, and am sure will pick it up pretty quick, once i get the feel of the speed to ratio, once passed im thinking i may need some kind of training or practice in an Auto LGV as there seems to be more Auto than manual trucks out there.

Auto driving is a doddle. Just plate your foot and let the computer do the work.

to answer the question above, if you have a car licence with an automatic restriction and then pass your truck driving test in an automatic truck you will also receive a restricted truck licence showing you can drive only an auto truck.

or in other words, you must have a manual car licence to get a full manual truck licence, what gearbox the truck has doesn’t matter.

Just to add that someone with an auto car licence can train and pass in a manual truck and they will end up with manual car and truck licence. That’s unusual but we’ve had it a couple of times.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

when i done some tow bar fitting , every now and then an AUTO car would come in to be fitted ,I never liked reversing them up the ramps , much prefer gears.
good to get the manual car entitlement ,by passing in manual truck. BOGOF :smiley:

TROTSKY3:
when i done some tow bar fitting , every now and then an AUTO car would come in to be fitted ,I never liked reversing them up the ramps , much prefer gears.
good to get the manual car entitlement ,by passing in manual truck. BOGOF :smiley:

Nearly all trucks with a auto box have a crawler selection.

Last day on the manual today , a little better but not much test on Monday keeping everything crossed , if I blow it auto next week . Just got to say I can’t fault the trainer he’s been a saint with me but there’s only so much he can do

jeffeddie:
Last day on the manual today , a little better but not much test on Monday keeping everything crossed , if I blow it auto next week . Just got to say I can’t fault the trainer he’s been a saint with me but there’s only so much he can do

i really hope you do it, and gain some EXP incase you get some manual driving work after the pass .GL

I think you’re being a bit too hard on yourself. Your trainer wouldn’t put you forward for the test if he/she thought you was incapable of passing the test. Negative thinking won’t help - trust me.

I was in your boat a few months back. I failed my cat C twice, mainly because of nerves, secondly because I kept doubting myself. I chose a different trainer in the end, but it was on a manual truck, the same truck I’d trained in with my old trainer - a DAF CF. I passed first time with the new trainer, but I was confident this time round. Positive thinking, in my opinion, paid off for me. 3 months later I passed my C+E test with only 1 minor. Again - I was confident this time round, and I personally think state of mind plays a big role in the outcome.

Try not to worry about it too much. On test day, have a good breakfast, make sure you get plenty of sleep the night before and try to put yourself in the right state of mind.

Good luck with your test, buddy.

Excellent advice from endgame there. I failed C first time, and I went into test not believing I would pass, and sure enough I didn’t. The only difference the 2nd time was that I was chilled out.

If you can stay calm, keep nerves under control, concentrate, and drive safely you stand a good chance of passing. I found it helped to ask the examiner if it was ok to talk to him to help keep nerves under control.

You don’t say what gearbox it is, if it’s a 4 over 4 then keeping ahead of the game is the thing, particularly approaching roundabouts, always get into low range and 4th for the approach then you can stop or carry on without problems.

All the best for your test. Positive thinking!