I put this question on another site!

I put this question on another site and some of the answers where quite shocking!!!

right guys got a scenario to put to you lot and see what your answers will be?..

A driver has a full 15hr shift his start time is 06.00 and finish at 21.00.

He will not do more than 4hrs 25 minutes driving during the whole shift.

He starts at 6 and works till 11.45 at which point he takes a 15 min break.

He then carries on till 17.00 and takes another 15 min break.

He then carries on till 20.30 taking another 15 min break and then finishes at 21.00.

The question is has he done anything wrong? please no comments about he shouldn’t be doing a 15hr day ect, its just a wtd question, either he has broken the rules or he hasn’t its that easy

He works at our place :smiling_imp:

But yes he’s in the wrong.

Finished on a break hasn’t he■■?

Oh no he hasnt, so nothing wrong with it. Long assed day though.

I will add if you think he is wrong then why?

tacho and Rog just hang fire before you answer :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The way i see it,he has broken the rules by working more than 6hrs and not taking a 30 min break . . i think :neutral_face:

I have worked 15 hr spreadovers and only had 45mins break. I know it was legal because I was paid for it and I would have had the second 45 deducted if it hadn’t been. It all depends on what you are actually doing, if it is a mix of other work and driving there multitudes of different combinations to contend with.

I have also taken two 45’s on a 15 spread and got an infringement. You have to get your timings spot on.

no dont think its an issue you can split wtd beaks into 15 min slots but some tacho reporting software seems to disagree with that

He should have taken another 15 mins break before his 9 hrs from the start of his shift run out, which means he should have taken another 15 mins before 3pm, but majority of drivers, so called professional drivers have no clue regarding WTD regulations, they listen what they gaffer tells them, and take it on board as a gospel.
No wonder no one has any respect for drivers, they love to be pushed around and lied to, and prefer to discuss colors of their lorries and talk carp in general ( these types of posts always get 20 pages of replies) , rather than educate themselves and treat what their managers say with suspicion.

He should have taken another 15 mins break after working more than 9 hours.

internetfan:
He should have taken another 15 mins break before his 9 hrs from the start of his shift run out, which means he should have taken another 15 mins before 3pm, but majority of drivers, so called professional drivers have no clue regarding WTD regulations, they listed what they gaffer tells them, and take it on board as a gospel.
No wonder no one has any respect for drivers, they love to be pushed around and lied to, and prefer to discuss colors of their lorries and talk carp in general ( these types of posts always get 20 pages of replies) , rather than educate themselves and treat what their managers say with suspicion.

He should have taken another 15 mins break after working more than 9 hours.

nope :confused: :confused: :confused:

hi m8 been living Canada 9yrs coming home nex month for good but pretty sure 0nce u get to 4hrs 25mins 15 mins no good u must have at least 45min and even stop/start u must av 45min once u get to 6hrs and think still same u can only 3 fifteens per week gd luck .hope this helped a bit

OK, looks like I will finally learn something valuable then, that can actually be useful.
I’am awaiting the correct answer to this.

He should have had 30 minutes before 15:00

^^^^this

not sure if my reply was clear enough, so let me rephrase it.

1. His first 15 minutes break was OK at 11:45 am
  2. His second break of 15 mins should have been taken before 3 pm
  3. His third break of 15 mins should have been taken if worked more than 9 hrs.

If that is incorrect, I’m happy to be corrected.

As far as I can see he has worked 15hours with only 45 minutes break therefore he has worked 14 hours and 15 minutes so I would say yes as your working hours cannot go over 12 hours.

Nothing wrong with that

RULE 1 : you must not work more than 6 hours without break

RULE 2 : break must be a min of 15 mins

Working time between 6 and 9 hours = min of 30min break must be taken

Working time over 9 hours = min of 45min break must be taken

Working time does not include breaks or poa

scally2:
As far as I can see he has worked 15hours with only 45 minutes break therefore he has worked 14 hours and 15 minutes so I would say yes as your working hours cannot go over 12 hours.

there is no limit on hours worked in a day but you must have a rest period of at least 9 hours within the 24 hour period starting at the begining of your shift

He hasn’t done anything wrong.

stevejones:
hi m8 been living Canada 9yrs coming home nex month for good but pretty sure 0nce u get to 4hrs 25mins 15 mins no good u must have at least 45min and even stop/start u must av 45min once u get to 6hrs and think still same u can only 3 fifteens per week gd luck .hope this helped a bit

It’s 4.5 hours total or accumulative driving .

bald bloke:
He hasn’t done anything wrong.

i’ll go with you on this …

I know it seems wrong because of the way the reg is set out and worded but as Tacho and Rog keep saying it only states the breaks need to be a min of 15 min to count and the other stipulation is that you

must NOT

work for more than 6 hours without a break…

In my opinion I think it should be re written or done away as the old reg was better . at 5.5hrs a break must be taken this was accumulative driving and work providing driving time didn’t exceed the 4.5hrs.