I need some advice

Can anyone give me some advice on like how to start a company and be on curtainsiders,boxes,flats,blocks and tipper work. i am 14 years old 15 in august and i am really keen on becoming a O-D/small company about 6 trucks
I would like to see if any one could give me some info on what i should spend on what and so on i no that container work pays crap so theres no point wastin my time about that if people think that im just another kid that thinks that he knows what he’s on about but i do know what i talk about things that are putting me off is the fuel costs and the low rates they are the two things that are putting me off now if any one can give me some information then that would be great and if anyone could how could i get fuel a bit cheaper lol :laughing:

Hi Jonny,

Welcome to TruckNet and good luck with your dream.

You have seven years to go until you can get an HGV licence, so my advice would be to get yourself the best school qualifications you can, then learn a trade to fall back on during the lean trucking times.

As for getting fuel cheap, that’s a doddle. Just buy it in Belgium!

All the best, Harry.

thanx for that harry yess i have got good years and well when i leave college in 3 years i will be going on a young driver scheme which allows me to drive trucks at an early age i already work in a finance office at saint gobain glass (aprenticeship with selby college) which will give me a good oppertunity to go into a finance office if i choose to do so mainly because i will have the qualifications to do so but i still need to know like for what would a owner operator say to someone like me who is wanting this advice and ifor the fuel thats abit pointless cause i wanna start up in scotland as thats where most of my family live and its a dream and something to prove to my family and has bin friends that i can start a company and if someone could give me like proper info on the work i said i like doin then please do and also how do i make sure i don’t ■■■■ up on one of the weeks of being an owner driver

I will leave it to others to offer specific advice but I wish you the very best of luck. You have a fantastically positive attitude and that is enough to succeed in life, whatever you do.

thanx very much and the very best for you aswell and if you can even ask some people to help me out that wud be ausome

would also suggest a few years in a garage n college to learn whats makes em tick it’s something i should of done :open_mouth:

TRY working in a transport company when
you have your holidays,talk to the owner explain
way you wish to exploit, him–her ,by learning
from the experience of the owner ,and that
of the employees,if possible see about
learning and takeing the TWO exams
that you will need to start up the company
the NATIONAL;aölso the INTERNATIONAL
cpc,a second language would help as well
start reading the different journels and magazines
Talk to truck divers about the why andwherefores of the
job,rRESEARCH on what types of transport are around
in the area where,you wish to set up and see if you can see
any way to better the way, it is being done ,as some times
a person looking in on a problem may oftensee a better
way of doing things,
others will also put their pennys worth here and from all
of the intake you should get some very good help
WHAT EVER happens all the best,

thanx for the info n i agree bout the transport side lol but wat do i say to the company cause it is only few yards away from my house and i wanna do a young driver scheme with them but ya know there is a good time to phone em and a bad time
plus what do ya say to the transport manager if u already met him lol cause i been to the company twice on business trips and i goin to study mechanics at college before you say again lol

also the company i want to do the young driver scheme with will probably end up giving me a hino or a foden cause i doubt them letting me use a 2008 man tga and a brand new scania also the foden is the new one so if any one cud tell me how to use the zf gearbox that wud be so ausome

jonnytruckfest:
i doubt them letting me use a 2008 man tga and a brand new scania also the foden is the new one…

By the time you can get behind the wheel of these vehicles none of them will be anything like new. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I think you need to slow down and take a breath as you seem to be getting more than a little ahead of your self. :wink: :smiley:

lol i no but come on i goin for the yds in 2-3 years aint a long time n the trucks will be like 2-3 years old not many companies give trucks like that to young people lol
n i still need to talk to em about it cause i dunno the best time to talk about it

I can recommend a good child psycologist if required. :smiley:

You can get the answers to all your questions by doing a CPC Course
I don’t know if there is an age limit though.

jonnytruckfest:
when i leave college in 3 years i will be going on a young driver scheme which allows me to drive trucks at an early age

When you leave college the young driver scheme will be no more.
It will be replaced in September 2009 by the driver cpc scheme which allows 18 year olds to do what 21 year olds do now.

kool thanx for that n rog i don’t think i will have the money for to go for ma license but i can always see how much it will hurt ma wallet and if people think cause i wanna be truck driver n own ma own company is bein crazy then well you’ve met the right person lol and think the trucks will be 2-3 year old wen i go on to em

The 1st thing you’ll need to do is win the lottery, 6 lorries are going to cost you a good few quid, you’ll need £30,000 in the bank for an O licence, then you have to insure them, tax them, put diesel in them, pay your drivers wages, rent a yard & pay for your 1st lot of 6 weekly inspections BEFORE you get a single invoice paid out, so call it another £30,000 at todays prices, so that’s £60,000 you need before you buy a single lorry, hope you got a bloody good paper round mate :exclamation:

Best thing you could do is to go on a business studies course when you leave school & then get a driving job so that you know what happens in the real world of road transport, it’s not all chromed up Scanias you know, save as much as you can & get a small van on courier work, you’ll probably earn more profit than you can with a 44 tonner :exclamation:

Start from the bottom & work your way up the ladder, that’s the only way you’ll get the experience you’ll need to run a successful business :wink:

First things first young man, learn to write a well composed letter, with correct spelling, grammar and punctuation. This will lead people to believe that you’re not an un-educated waster. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

lol i no about that lol n i no it aint just scanias and all that lol everyone keeps tellin me all the bad things about it and i have to business studies and geography and i shud be going to do business finance and mechanics when i go to college also i no i need 60k lol which is y im gunna save up quite a bit lol if i get permanent job in finance office at saint gobain then hopefully ill just be 2-3 years in there then ill be able to do that stuff

Start of by using correct words on here for a start…this is not a txt spk forum for teenagers, it’s a chuffin truckers forum for ‘allegedly’ grown up and inteligent people…Oh and the best of luck, I think you will need plenty of it.
Just one more thing you will need a sense of humour…and a good brief.

yeah i no sorry bout that and thanx and well if got a sense of humour but dunno why i need one