I know it sounds kind of ridiculous but

Do any of you wave back or beep your horn to people who wave at you on bridges or in traffic. A young lad waved at me on M25 the other day during standstill traffic and I waved back to him and the biggest grin on his face appeared. It does somewhat give you some sort of satisfaction as it just reminds me of being young and waving to lorries on motorways in traffic ect. Especially when I was a young kid and whilst on my bike i’d stop on bridges locally to me and wave to passing lorries on the motorway underneath. May sound daft but it just does make your day a little bit better… If thats even a thing anymore :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Haha yeah I also beep my horn when they do the signal :slight_smile:

Yes, always. I don’t think it’s rediculous. Like you, I also love the smiles you get back. I’m always a bit wary of sounding my horn though, not least because of the girly ‘meep meep’ sound it makes :unamused: haha

Well this new DAF i’ve got came with airhorns so I take full advantage :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

JollyJack:
Well this new DAF i’ve got came with airhorns so I take full advantage :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

In that case I’d be blasting it all day long haha

BigTipper:
Haha yeah I also beep my horn when they do the signal :slight_smile:

Nothing more embarrassing when you’ve got the kids on the bridges giving it the old American truck airhorn gesture and you’re driving an Actros MP2 and the horn sounds like a [zb]ing strangled road runner :imp:

I used to just flash the lights and wave instead. :blush:

Nothing sad in making a young kid smile and wave. We spend all day dealing with miserable goods in staff, stressed out motorists who wouldn’t give us the time of day and unhappy customers.
Sometimes it’s just nice to do something that makes someone else’s day a bit happier.

Its when they wave with a brick from a bridge you have to worry

Do it all the time, in fact I’m the other way, I’ll wave at kids just sitting in the car to try & get a smile out of them, then watch the reaction on Mummy’s face when the kid pipes up about a Big Nutty Trucker waving at 'em [emoji12]

TheNewBoy:
Its when they wave with a brick from a bridge you have to worry

This happened to a mate of mine last year on a dual carriageway. It was 3am and next to the road was a housing estate that uses some type of slotted slabs as fencing probably about 5 ft long and a good 3 inches thick. They put two of them across the road as a barricade and then when he hit them they threw a large ceramic flower pot with a palm tree off the bridge. It must have taken three of them to lift it. The thing was massive and he was lucky he didn’t get injured…or worse!

So long as they’re not throwing flower pots off bridges, sure…give em a wave!

sent using my Nokia 3310 via tapatalk

waving in good will…■■ :open_mouth: :confused: didn’t think anyone still did that any more

only time I ever see any waving is by impatient (usually Audi or BMW) drivers giving it the ole w4nker or 2 fingers.

Of course, I never bother returning the gesture they’re hoping for, just a courteous nod of the head and a smile, to wind 'em up even more.

Does tooting up fanny count?
Or sounding the horn because some div has parked in our yard gateway?

I’ll beep me horn with one hand whilst the right hand pretends to operate one of those airhorns you get on American trucks with the bit of string that you pull down similar to a trains emergency stop, I’ll only do this to kids though .

Yeah I do it too, draw the line at the horn thing though cos as someone else has pointed out a Sturmy Archer bicycle bell would be more effective than a Merc horn :blush:

Also when in slow or standing traffic and I spot a dog in a car looking at me I will often bark at it and bare my teeth. Bloody things go wappy and it’s fun watching the owners try to calm them down.

Bet some of you try this now! :smiley:

I must confess to flashing and giving the horn to youngsters.
To see them jump up and down and wave frantically brings a right smile to my face.

Time it right and there’s a young mum and a 3 year old on a walkway on the way into Felixstowe, always toot toot them if they want me to or not.

Improper use of the horn aside it’s nice to bring a bit of joy to someone when most of the time I’m ■■■■■■■ folk off.

I also wave at coach loads of kids when required, although this gets a little awkward when stuck in traffic and the same coach keeps passing or being passed by me as we crawl along.
Not sure at what point to stop waving so usually shut me side curtain when I’m all waved out and play peekaboo instead. Followed by some lite mooning.

Always, I used to stand and watch trucks come and go myself as a kid and do the horn signal so I always oblige along with a smile and a wave. So rare for anyone to be pleased to see a truck so when this happens it always cheers me up!

Yes I do. Not hard to oblige a kid when he does the air horn gesture. We get a bad enough press when it’s not justified, so it’s not a good idea to be miserable and give the public a reason to hate us.

Tooted yesterday going past a school full of kids shouting ‘beep, beep!’

Half a second out my day to make a playground full of kids happy for a minute. That’s some mighty fine karma coming my way :sunglasses:

A.

I remember this time last year I was running a local firms trailer up to their other yard in the midlands, whilst hitting a bit of traffic on the M40 I saw a young lad wave at me, so intentionally I wave back and give a toot of the horn. Smiles as usual. So about 2 hours later I turn up at their yard and go into their office, to be grabbed by the manager saying I’ve been reported for improper use of the horn. A member of the “public” reported me to the company on the side of the trailer. I work for myself, run my own motor which is plain white so they obviously picked me out as working normally for the company. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the maoster:
Also when in slow or standing traffic and I spot a dog in a car looking at me I will often bark at it and bare my teeth. Bloody things go wappy and it’s fun watching the owners try to calm them down.

Bet some of you try this now! :smiley:

Robroy tried that, they fell out! :open_mouth: