I hope the lorry drivers are all ok

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/linc … 711412.stm

Does not sound nice.

One of the lory drivers is dead but is is sad for all who have lost their life or been injured.

Just heard about it on the news , sounds like botched overtaking involving a MINIBUS :unamused:

Trouble is though that the report is conflicting. If you read Brian Thompsons statement, it says he saw a LORRY light halfway down his trailer, supposedly doing an overtake, and the minibus at the head of a queue of oncoming traffic.

Methinks it may end up being the Hovis drivers fault.

I couldn’t work that bit out either Conor, seems to be one version directly conflicts the other and the only thing for sure is that someone tried overtaking when they shouldn’t. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

There would (possibly) be more traffic than normal travelling that route as the A46 was closed between Farndon and Saxondale r/bout and traffic sent down the A52 via the A1.

Same for tonight and tomorrow allegedly.

I know this stretch of road very well, used to live at Sedgebrook and my parents still live in Bottesford. The section of 52 between the crossroads at Sedgebrook and Taylors farm going west is a series of short but sharp bends with poor visibility in either direction, anyone attempting an overtake there needs their head examined :open_mouth:

As Saxon stated the A46 is closed at night at the Hobbyhorse so A52 traffic is likely to be much heavier.

Just seen BBC news - 6 dead, preliminary reports state minibus full of migrants was overtaking lorries.

Condolences to all involved.

John

Condolences to the workers in the minibus and the Hovis lorry driver :frowning:

By watching Sky ch.950 BBC East Midlands news a short time ago the road looked straight, the police said it was dry and visibility was good. So two things I was wondering: (1) When the minibus attempted to overtake the 2nd lorry (Knowles Transport), how could the driver not see the Hovis lorry coming towards him? … and (2) The “Knowles” driver said he saw the headlights of the overtaking vehicle in his mirror, so, he too should’ve seen the oncoming Hovis wagon in plenty of time. Why didn’t he brake hard then knowing some idiot was trying to pass him when there wasn’t room to do so safely?

Yeti:
Condolences to the workers in the minibus and the Hovis lorry driver :frowning:

By watching Sky ch.950 BBC East Midlands news a short time ago the road looked straight

The BBC news on line picture I saw was not that clear as to where it was, I assumed it would be in the usual place, on the bends at the top of the small hill. There have been so many accidents there over the years. The straight road is more likely to be the section towards Muston and the Bottesford by-pass. The bit between the bends and the old, now removed railway bridge is straight but medium to long distance visibility is very poor due to the slight kink and dip in the road. The bit from Sedgbrook crossroads up to the top of the hill with the layby’s on either side is a long slow right hand curve, again not a place to be overtaking.

Whatever happened, Condolences to all those involved.

Conor:
Trouble is though that the report is conflicting. If you read Brian Thompsons statement, it says he saw a LORRY light halfway down his trailer, supposedly doing an overtake, and the minibus at the head of a queue of oncoming traffic.

I know an Accident Investigation Officer and he says that witness statements are notoriously unreliable.
Most of us are subconciously observing thing when we are driving and we react to the unusual.

The mind doesn’t process what it see’s like a video camera, people see what they want to see, an example is they say the motorbike was speeding past at well over the limit, but the bike turns out to be a 50cc not capable of more that 30mph or they’ll say the same thing about a truck or a boy racers car. :confused: It comes down to prejudice and expectations playing tricks on the mind.

So in this case the witness sub-conciously observed a vehicle start to overtake and then saw a vehicle coming towards him. Then in a split second there is a collision involving these vehicles and everything gets muddled in his mind. He’s not lying, but his mind will play tricks on him.

Yeti:
… and (2) The “Knowles” driver said he saw the headlights of the overtaking vehicle in his mirror, so, he too should’ve seen the oncoming Hovis wagon in plenty of time. Why didn’t he brake hard then knowing some idiot was trying to pass him when there wasn’t room to do so safely?

From what I heard on the radio he only noticed that someone was overtaking him in time to hold on for dear life. I don’t think he had time to hit the brakes even. If the road was as rubbish as people are saying, he’d likely not be expecting someone to try to overtake.

The mini bus was overtaking two LGV’s when it hit the Hovis bread van head on, I’m not to far away from that part of the world and it is an accident black spot.

Tragic news, but on a serious note, it again highlights the matter of “Gangmasters” and their operations.

Whilst I’ve no direct evidence of the fact, I am fairly certain that these workers are probably paid at Minimum Wage LESS Travel, which, to me suggests that these vehicles are effectively PCV’s and should be licenced as such and only driven by persons who are appropriately qualified.

Krankee:
Whilst I’ve no direct evidence of the fact, I am fairly certain that these workers are probably paid at Minimum Wage LESS Travel, which, to me suggests that these vehicles are effectively PCV’s and should be licenced as such and only driven by persons who are appropriately qualified.

Krankee, what the hell has that to do with the driving of the vehicle■■?

Go on, please explain that to me!!!

You should be ashamed dragging that into a post where people have been killed

A very sad loss indeed. :cry:

condolences to all families.R.I.P. :cry:

Conor:

Not so sure Conor, the picture on the tv clearly shows the Hovis vehicle on his correct side heading east and the tanker which had been overtaken on the verge heading west. The minibus, on the other hand was on the eastbound verge yet was supposed to be heading west towards Mansfield.

Yeti:
The “Knowles” driver said he saw the headlights of the overtaking vehicle in his mirror, so, he too should’ve seen the oncoming Hovis wagon in plenty of time. Why didn’t he brake hard then knowing some idiot was trying to pass him when there wasn’t room to do so safely?

We have all been in this situation at one time or another, surely. What do you do, hold course and speed or slow down? I always keep going unless they are almost past, because if you brake you can be sure they will at that moment lose their nerve and brake also, trying to slot back in behind you. So all you do is hang them out to dry with nowhere to go. I don’t blame the Knowles driver in this situation.

Where was it exactly, somewhere near that café on the eastbound side?

Salut, David.

Dapper Scavenger:
From what I heard on the radio he only noticed that someone was overtaking him in time to hold on for dear life. I don’t think he had time to hit the brakes even. If the road was as rubbish as people are saying, he’d likely not be expecting someone to try to overtake.

I use that road frequently and i do 40 on most of it its not unusual for the Fowler Welch, Brake Bros and the A.N.C. wagon to overtake at about the same time most nights, the same motors at about the same time most nights.

Is it really worth it?.

A very sad affair, and my thoughts are with the families of those affected.

With regard to comments about the KnowIes driver - I live a few miles from Knowles Transport, and the roads around here are full of their trucks. I have yet to see any of their vehicles being driven badly.

I dont know the full facts like everyone else and full condolences to all involved, no one deserved to die at fault or not.
I drive this route sometimes in my car and also working for a company out of grantham driving class ones. The speed limit on that type of road is 40mph and many a time i get flashed etc for keeping to it, i just think its about time that all drivers took a chill pill and if overtaking isnt safe dont take the risk, often truckers on this route are doing full pelt, makes overtaking very risky even for an experienced driver.

Im not looking for angry replies its more of a general comment as i dont know the facts but i think chilling out would help us all in all circumstances.