I hope the lorry drivers are all ok

i was delivering to coop store at burghfield common (reading) and a hovis driver was there . hesaid they told them at there depot morning after about the crash and that the driver was a agency driver filling in for the day
what a shame another driver doing his job killed by an act of another driver in a rush
we see it all day especally on the morning run why do people do it
he said they told them that the van was overtaking two trucks and came into the path of hovis truck and one of the trailers hit him as well and only passenger survived in van hed idnt say about other drivers just hovis driver and those in the van. 7 in thevan were ment to be imigrints and so far no blame at all was on hovis driver

Very sad news indeed. I was due out of our marston cold store at 0430 that morning and that would have put me in the thick of it. Thank goodness some one bought the trailer up to Belle Eau Park.

It probably does call into question the hgv limit of 40mph and the fact that the normal road user has a higher limit. It is a notorious section of road and like Jammy says even hgv’s have a go overtaking.

My thoughts are with the families of the deceased.

It probably does call into question the hgv limit of 40mph and the fact that the normal road user has a higher limit. It is a notorious section of road and like Jammy says even hgv’s have a go overtaking.

Well a ■■■■■■ will do 80ish, many drivers dont even find that fast enough, so even if the HGV limit was raised to say 60, it would have just meant the ■■■■■■ hitting a lorry doing 60. On many A roads it’s not practical to do more than 40 anyway, due to the bends etc

TheBear:

Krankee:
Whilst I’ve no direct evidence of the fact, I am fairly certain that these workers are probably paid at Minimum Wage LESS Travel, which, to me suggests that these vehicles are effectively PCV’s and should be licenced as such and only driven by persons who are appropriately qualified.

Krankee, what the hell has that to do with the driving of the vehicle■■?

Go on, please explain that to me!!!

You should be ashamed dragging that into a post where people have been killed

I understand what Krankee means by that Bear.
If the immigrants are not well paid then they won’t get a minibus taxi or anything like that, they will just hire one for the week and shove any old driver in it. If one of the blokes are new to the workforce and possibly the country then they will get lumbered with the driving eventhought hey dont fully understand our road system and laws.

I may be wrong and correct me if i am but was’nt this the cause of the accident that happened on the level crossing last year when a couple got killed?

Not looking for an argument here, just trying to put across what i think Krankee meant.

Regardless of blame, condolences to all involved.

It is a sad thing that these people have died in thses cercumstances.

It seems to me that everybody in this country is always in a hurry & that they need to get to where they’re going at any cost.

I am willing to bet that people were driving along the same stretch of road hammer & tong as soon as the road was open again.

My concern regarding the migrant workers is

As we all know these people are paid as low a wage as their guvnors can get away with,So how are their families expected to afford to repatriate their bodies?

Are the directors of the companies that take advantage of the “cheap labour” they have provided going to dip into their share dividend to help them out?

north surrey haulage:
As we all know these people are paid as low a wage as their guvnors can get away with,So how are their families expected to afford to repatriate their bodies?

IF they had insurance that would cover it woudlnt it??.

jammymutt:

north surrey haulage:

IF they had insurance that would cover it woudlnt it??.

The reason they’ve come here to work is because they are poor and when they arrive they are paid a pittance.

So my gut feeling is that they wouldn’t be taking out insurance policies that are going to be costing them.

I was sat here this afternoon looking at this thread and suddenly realised there was a whole host of jokes that could be made here.
As this is my last day on the sick, I can disappear for a week or two but after just on 5 weeks off doing my best to wind as many people as possible up, I thought I will leave it for now :unamused: