i have a trivia question

this is probably the easiest one but here goes

1 how many hours can you work under EU regs in a day between daily rests and just to make sure there is no confusion its a 24 hour period :wink:

delboytwo:

1 how many hours can you work under EU regs in a day between daily rests and just to make sure there is no confusion its a 24 hour period :wink:

Well I guess it would depend on what you were doing

Single manned:
Assuming that you’re talking about EU driving regulations and the WTD regulations the maximum spread-over between daily rest period is 15 hours if a reduced or split daily rest is to be taken, how much of that could be working time would depend on how much driving you were doing but the maximum you could legally work in that 15 hours would be 14 and quarter hours.

Multi manned:
The maximum you could legally work would be 20 and quarter hours but again it would obviously depend on how much driving you were doing weather or not you needed to have more breaks.

Is there a catch to this question ? :confused:

tachograph:

delboytwo:

Well I guess it would depend on what you were doing

Single manned:
Assuming that you’re talking about EU driving regulations and the WTD regulations the maximum spread-over between daily rest period is 15 hours if a reduced or split daily rest is to be taken, how much of that could be working time would depend on how much driving you were doing but the maximum you could legally work in that 15 hours would be 14 and quarter hours.

Multi manned:
The maximum you could legally work would be 20 and quarter hours but again it would obviously depend on how much driving you were doing weather or not you needed to have more breaks.

Is there a catch to this question ? :confused:

that would be telling mate, you are right in a way but wrong in an other :wink:

Are you referring to actual work or the time someone could be paid for :question:

ROG:

delboytwo:
how many hours can you work under EU regs in a day between daily rests and just to make sure there is no confusion its a 24 hour period :wink:

Are you referring to actual work or the time someone could be paid for :question:

I suspect this has something to do with the “six 24 hour periods” discussion again :imp: :wink:

tachograph:
I suspect this has something to do with the “six 24 hour periods” discussion again

OH no… please not …

To answer the question -
If a driver gets paid for every hour from when they start a shift to when they end a shift, then it is 15 hours.

If not getting paid for breaks (or POA :open_mouth: ) then it will be less.

tachograph:

ROG:

delboytwo:
how many hours can you work under EU regs in a day between daily rests and just to make sure there is no confusion its a 24 hour period :wink:

I suspect this has something to do with the “six 24 hour periods” discussion again :imp: :wink:

sorry mate its not do you think i would do a thing like that :wink:

ROG:

tachograph:
I suspect this has something to do with the “six 24 hour periods” discussion again

OH no… please not …

To answer the question -
If a driver gets paid for every hour from when they start a shift to when they end a shift, then it is 15 hours.

If not getting paid for breaks (or POA :open_mouth: ) then it will be less.

your not reading my post properly mate :wink: never ask about pay just want to know how many hours can you work under EU regs :stuck_out_tongue:

come on this as to be the easiest one so far by far :wink:

depends what the definition of ‘work’ is and that definition is not in the regs - ‘other work’ is though.

15 hours possible if paid time

Are you including the minimum statutory breaks in your question :question:

delboytwo:
your not reading my post properly mate :wink: never ask about pay just want to know how many hours can you work under EU regs :stuck_out_tongue:

But you have some strange ideas about the definition of what is and isn’t work so who the hell knows what the answer is? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

The maximum time available for work, for single manned operation under EU rules, between ending one daily rest period and beginning the next is 15 hours. Multi-manned it is 21 hours. Work in this case means everything you do from clocking on to clocking off - Driving, other work, breaks, POA. If you are not counting breaks it is as tachograph already posted.

Dunno why I’m answering this as you ignored my quiz question to you on this thread on Monday. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Daft answer = 15 hours of POA :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

But you have some strange ideas about the definition of what is and isn’t work so who the hell knows what the answer is? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

The maximum time available for work, for single manned operation under EU rules, between ending one daily rest period and beginning the next is 15 hours. Multi-manned it is 21 hours. Work in this case means everything you do from clocking on to clocking off - Driving, other work, breaks, POA. If you are not counting breaks it is as tachograph already posted.

Dunno why I’m answering this as you ignored my quiz question to you on this thread on Monday. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

if you work a six days and have not reached you 48 average hour you can in fact do 10 hours work in a day.

or if you work 48 over a 5 day week your only allowed 9.6 hours of work

i said work just how many hours you an work in a day between rests

Neil sorry not answered yours mate but did not see it will have a go now :wink: :blush:

delboytwo:
if you work a six days and have not reached you 48 average hour you can in fact do 10 hours work in a day.

Sorry Del but you are talking out your arse. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

delboytwo:

You did almost say that, you said daily rests not just rests, and you also said under EU rules, to which the answer is 15 hours, or 14.25 if you don’t count break as being at work.

Now you’ve come up with an answer which is the average you can work each day to achieve the weekly maximum or average for the WTD. That’s an answer to a totally different question to the one you asked. If that was the answer you were looking for the word average would need to be in the question, maximum and average are different things. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

Sorry Del but you are talking out your arse. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

delboytwo:

You did almost say that, you said daily rests not just rests, and you also said under EU rules, to which the answer is 15 hours, or 14.25 if you don’t count break as being at work.

Now you’ve come up with an answer which is the average you can work each day to achieve the weekly maximum or average for the WTD. That’s an answer to a totally different question to the one you asked. If that was the answer you were looking for the word average would need to be in the question, maximum and average are different things. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

not talking of my arse :stuck_out_tongue: i said in the regs, and did say EU reg all i asked was how many hours not the average or a maximum so as i said if you look in the regs there is a note about it

1. The weekly driving time shall not exceed 56 hours and
    shall not result in the maximum weekly working time laid
    down in Directive 2002/15/EC being exceeded.

and i know it says weekly but in a day that would mean 10 hours of 9.6 hours depending on how many hours you have done in your average reference period

cos if we go back to your 14 hours work in a day ,that would in fact only give you a 3 days a 6 hour of work in a week and therefor you would in fact never ever need to use 7 charts in six day :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

You asked

delboytwo:
1 how many hours can you work under EU regs in a day between daily rests

To which the answer is 15. You need 9 hours rest so that leaves 15 for work, including a 45-minute break.

delboytwo:
so as i said if you look in the regs there is a note about it

and i know it says weekly

That’s because it is talking about the weekly average. there is no such thing as a daily average.

delboytwo:
but in a day that would mean 10 hours of 9.6 hours depending on how many hours you have done in your average reference period

There is no such thing as a daily average.

delboytwo:
cos if we go back to your 14 hours work in a day ,that would in fact only give you a 3 days a 6 hour of work in a week

Who said anything about doing 3 days at 14 hours? You might just do one 15 hour shift in the week and therefore the answer to your question is 15. :stuck_out_tongue:

delboytwo:
and therefor you would in fact never ever need to use 7 charts in six day :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I wouldn’t do 7 charts in six days but I would, and do, do 6 shifts of 14 - 15 hours between weekly rest periods and each one of those shifts is between daily rest periods and I don’t exceed the WTD average or maximum.

Going back to your question. You might only work two days in the week and you might do a shift of 15 hours on each of those day, which will be less than half of the WTD maximum and less than two thirds of the WTD average. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

hi Neil

we had this before i know some employees get paid all hours worked but work under the RTD is or EU regs is work

i am not on about how you or others get paid it was a very simple question which as being take of of proportion,
i know you can work 15 a day or 13 a day but not if you work a normal job in a normal life, i did 18 month on night trucking 5 night a week i got a salaries for the job some nights i was in work or at work for 13 hours but only worked 9.5 to 10 mon tes wed thur and on fri i was only allowed to drive there and back(check done of course) which was 8 hour on average there firm never had a opt out of the ten hour rule and in the every reference period we got a report on are hours of work and we would be given a night off if we were not going to fit the hours in, every company as a different way of paying employees for the hours the work but under regs work is defined as work and that all i was asking :wink:

when i worked for a truck rental company there requirement for working time was that it had to be what your tacho said IE if you were driving a car it would be other work if you were a passenger it would be POA and rest would be rest and if i worked in the yard all day there wanted you to fill a tacho in with every bit of detail you did in that day, but when the end of the week came you time sheet print out would that you have worked 48 hours this week and you pay sheet would say that i would be getting 65 hours pay.
we could disagree with what is or is not work but as you go bay the regs, and you know them a dam site better than me :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: you should know what i am asking.

1. What counts as working time?
    2.1 Main Points
  • Working time is not attendance or shift time. It does not include travelling between home and
    work (however, it should be noted, that in certain circumstances such periods may count as
    “other work” under the separate European drivers’ hours rules), lunch breaks, other breaks,
    periods of availability, evening classes or day-release courses.
  • Working time includes job-related training associated with normal work and training that is
    part of the company’s commercial transport operation.
  • Work carried out for another employer (who undertakes road transport activities within scope
    of the European drivers’ hours rules) counts towards the total working time performed by the
    mobile worker.
  • Voluntary work and activities performed by mobile workers who are part-time retained fire
    fighters, special constables and members of the reserve forces should not be counted towards

below is what is not counted as work

Working Time does not include:

• Routine travel between home and their normal place of work.
  • Rest and breaks when no work is done.
  • Periods of availability (see below).
  • Evening classes or day-release courses.
  • Voluntary work or time spent as a Retained Fire Fighter, a Special Constable, or member of
    the Reserve Forces).

and i will shut up :wink: if you can show me any where in the regs that it say that all you 15 hours at work are work cos if it does then your breaking the law

delboytwo:
and i will shut up :wink: if you can show me any where in the regs that it say that all you 15 hours at work are work cos if it does then your breaking the law

Hang on Del. The answer to your question is that you can do 15 hours work in a day, well minus your 45 minute break. It does not say that in any regs either but the fact that we have to have a (minimum) 9 hour rest period within 24 hours of starting work makes that a certainty !!
I work a normal job in a normal life (well sort of !!) and i regularly do more than 10 hours work a day, mind you i also have some short days of 8 hours. What my average is (and this is a different question than you asked) i’m not sure, but it is under the 48 hour average WTD, i sort of know this because some of the other guys in my place have been told they need to reduce their hours and i havn’t :smiley: To confuse the issue further, average is very different to ‘typical’ :smiley:

delboytwo:
…but as you go bay the regs, and you know them a dam site better than me :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: you should know what i am asking.

I do know what you asked, you asked

delboytwo:
how many hours can you work under EU regs in a day between daily rests

And the answer is 15, or 14.25 if you don’t count a break during your shift as being at work. 24 hours in a day - 9 hours minimum rest = 15.

Right, I’m off to bed as I have to be in work at 03:00 for a run to Stranraer and on to Belfast. BTW I’ll finish at 17:30 - 18:00 tomorrow, that’ll be 14.5 - 15 hours work between daily rest periods. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

delboytwo:

Del you asked the question “how many hours can you work under EU regs between daily rests”, depending on weather you mean work or working time as defined in the regulations the answer is either 15 or 14.25 maximum.

Sorry mate but we all got it right and you got the answer to your own question wrong :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

delboytwo:
not talking of my arse :stuck_out_tongue: i said in the regs, and did say EU reg all i asked was how many hours not the average or a maximum so as i said if you look in the regs there is a note about it

and i know it says weekly but in a day that would mean 10 hours of 9.6 hours depending on how many hours you have done in your average reference period

That’s driving time not working time, the maximum working time you’re allowed in a week is 60 hours but as already said it wasn’t your question anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

Now here’s a question for you … Why am I wasting my time on this ? :imp: :imp: :wink:

delboytwo:

above is the question i asked so the answer form you all is 14.25 plus a break of 45 Min’s

now look at it again and think of this a new forum member comes along and as not driven a truck in anger before as he /she as just passed and was looking for a answer to how many hours can you work in a day between rests and sees this form us and see that its 15 hours well ok that’s answered my question for me.

But lets look at that how many time can you do 15 hour in a week can you do 15 hours every day, so i will ask you again how may hours can you work in a day every one including me know the right answer but some times you look at a question and don’t look at it properly

and as said taking into consideration of all the regs that we as drivers have to work to there could be many answers to my question

so this is what i would of expected as a reply

“Del what context do you mean and have you considered all the regs or are you just pulling are legs” :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

delboytwo:
But lets look at that how many time can you do 15 hour in a week

Six in a fixed week.

delboytwo:
can you do 15 hours every day,

Yes, it is possible to do 15 hours every day.