I give up

Truckulent:
Actually a lot of harm done. If you do ‘train’ for nowt you are setting a precedent for all the following drivers and they will be expected to do the ‘training’ for nowt too.

Keep your desire to work for free to the local charity shop and out of haulage!! :smiling_imp:

What a crock of excrement. If you want to do a bit of work for free in order to secure a permanent paid job then do it.

I went out one night unpaid with another driver to see if I liked the job. The boss said if I was willing to do that and I liked it, I would have the job. I did it and now I have a job.

Ok matey - if you’re happy to work for free that’s your business.

But, I also have work and i have NEVER worked for free and never would…

You’re a mug fella,they must love you…Do you do overtime for free too, just to keep your job? Maybe you could clean the truck for them as well - after all you’ve got a job… :smiley: Oh and what about the gaffer’s motor?

Each to their own but if I work - they pay…

Always worked for me but then i ain’t gullible… :smiley:

have u never heard the saying “sprat to catch a mackeral”

WTF is this mon on about the poor op has been out of work for near 12 months a day or so unpaid is here nor there - I also wouldn’t work for nothing but I’ve got the experience but had I not worked for a year i would do owt to get a start.

Simon

here here

Have a look at Bolton’s in Gt Blakenham, their putting up a new larger recycling shed at theyre yard, maybe, that might mean more work, if so thats more skip drivers. This is purely speculative though, but worth a look all the same. And recycling is one off the few growth industries. :wink:

personal attack removed

SmashedCrabFace:
a young, good looking, fine example of a man is going to steal it from you because he shows a bit of willing and is much easier on the eye. That’s what I think.

But I dont want Truculents job, He’s probably got hi bars and low lights or whatever there called :wink:

Some of the above may contain errors :wink:

Harry Monk:

pavaroti:
Try your local tipper firms, if you need training on tippers offer to train/work for free for a week or two.

WADR, I would strongly disagree with that, don’t ever offer to work for free.

+1 ■■■■ that , work for free :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

so you would rather stay on the dole for a year :open_mouth:

mrx:
so you would rather stay on the dole for a year :open_mouth:

No if I would have been on the dole for a year with a hgv licence I would have a good look

at my interview technique. :confused:

if you had been unemployed for a considerable amount of time and someone offered you a job if you could show you were capable after a short unpaid trial period(bearing in mind you have no previous experience)then you would take it or you`d be a fool

commonrail:
if you had been unemployed for a considerable amount of time and someone offered you a job if you could show you were capable after a short unpaid trial period(bearing in mind you have no previous experience)then you would take it or you`d be a fool

I have never been in that position but if someone asked me to work for free to “prove” myself I would decline their "kind " offer and continue my search for a employer who wasnt a ■■■■ taking ■■■■■

Thanks for the replys guys I will chase them companies up 1st thing in the morning see if anymore doors open thanks

I do believe if you offer to do a days work for free it goes well for you, this is how I got my job many years ago as a car sprayer, I offered to do 1 day for free he gave me the trial and slipped me £60 cash at the end of shift and I got the job back then so sometimes it do pays just hope I can have that sort of luck in this trade :unamused:

i doubt youd actually be doing the job,youd probably be out with another driver learning the ropes.if they expected you to pull your weight and still not get paid then fair enough tell em to stick it

Suffolk ReeferBoy:

commonrail:

I have never been in that position but if someone asked me to work for free to “prove” myself I would decline their "kind " offer and continue my search for a employer who wasnt a ■■■■ taking [zb].

You forget its that Cameron and his big society, work for free after all Mummy and Daddy will pick up the tab, oh ! we dont all live like that. certainly not in my world.
And I’ve got to say, that any firm that asks you to work for a free trial period is going to keep coming up with good reason’s to “just pop in on saturday morning” for free, and other such wheezez. Steer well clear. And watch that working for a free trial period, doesnt leave you Unavailable for work when signing on, coz that lot will see it as work regardless of remuniration or lack off.

I’ve got to agree with Harry - the 2 best jobs I’ve had I got by knocking on doors.
In fact one job, they turned me away twice, but I kept going back and they gave me a job.
And the 3 best lads I have working for me got their jobs by knocking on my door.

Face to face is best, in my opinion.

Look at it from an employers point of view. I might need an extra driver, or maybe I can manage with who I’ve already got?
I’ve got a handful of CV’s on my desk, but I don’t know these guys, might be pricks, can I be chewed interviewing when I’m not 100% sure I actually need more drivers?
Then a guy walks in asking for work, within 5 mins I’ve formed the opinion he’s a good guy, and he’s obviously keen or he wouldn’t have came in person.
Can’t do any harm giving him a trial I suppose…

Juddian:
No agency work for class 2?

Not unusual in the current climate. Wrong time of the year for builders merchants, which used to form the bulk of my last stint of agency work, plus the agencies will be trying to hang on to their Class 1 drivers so they’ll get first dibs of any rigid work, assuming any of them are willing to do a proper day’s graft for a change… dons tin hat and awaits incoming… :wink:

cieranc:
Can’t do any harm giving him a trial I suppose…

But would you offer him a days pay for that work, or would it be a free be.

Though I agree about just pitching up, worst that can happen is have the dogs set on you.

gnasty gnome:
[ assuming any of them are willing to do a proper day’s graft for a change… dons tin hat and awaits incoming… :wink:

I’ll have you know Containers are very techinal, first you have to locate the bog, then coffee machine, and after all that excitment a lie down is in order :wink: