I give up

Had my class 2 since September 2010 yes I have done abit of work here and there but othing regular, I have applied to jobs in the Jobcentre but there mostly all agency, I have gained my Hi-Ab and ADR in gases but still can not get a permenant job. I have set 100s of CVs off made hudreds of phone calls, this whole year has been a constant struggle on and off the dole etc, there just dosn’t seem to be any jobs around the Ipswich area that are permenant, just feel I have wasted my money and a year of my life trying to get in somewhere. I have been told if I had a class 1 I could get a job tomorrow (by a class 1 driver I know) but I just haven’t the funds to pay for class 1 as I dont have the work and I can’t get a loan because of bad credit so I’m at a loss no idea anymore what to do, I have even walked in a few places asking near begging for a job :unamused:

Have you tried 3663 at stowmarket I’ve heard they take on new drivers

I do think it’d be much easier getting a job if you did have a class one licence but thats purely academic to your situation. All I can say is go round the companies in person, emails and cv’s in my opinion almost always result in nothing. If your there knocking on doors and making yourself known you stand a far better chance. I hope things improve for you, I know its a hard ladder to get on to!

i imagine you have tried the local bottle gas dealers this time of year in dorset they are looking for temps, with class 2 and adr gasses and it runs untill the end of march. i wish you luck but good jobs are hard to find.

No agency work for class 2?

Lots of us have ended up on agencies at various times for a variety of reasons, helps to keep a few quid coming in and you get to hear where proper jobs are going.

Good jobs are not advertised, its word of mouth via internal ads at the company, the more drivers you meet the more chance of hearing where that elusive job is.

Don’t stop cold calling though, it has worked for me in the past and again recently, it’s how the hordes of Europeans got a foothold here.

Take a tip though, if you cold call approach the company looking presentable but working presentable if you know what i mean, be polite and respectful and ask politely for a couple of minutes of ‘the mans’ time, try to get his name before you visit.
If you impress ‘the man’ then you’re in, and you impress him by him visualising you in his company’s uniform approaching a valued client.
Carry a CV with you at all times, and accept any blinking job thats going, once feet are under table then you can move within.

This approach does not work with big logistics type companies who’s recruitment staff wouldn’t know a real truck driver if he sat on them.

Tsco does loyts to London with Rigid
send ya PM

LORRY DRIVER CLASS 2
Vacancy from
Job No:ISF/51972SOC Code:8211WageNegotiable depending on experienceHours40+ PER WEEK, MONDAY TO FRIDAY, BETWEEN 7AM AND 4.30PMLocationIPSWICH, SUFFOLK IP3DurationPermanentDate posted22 November 2011Pension detailsNo details held
Description
Must have a minimum Class 2 licence. Previous experience is preferred, but not essential. Will be based at Ipswich. Main job will include delivering and collection of heavy and small plant, delivering in the East Anglia area. Some overtime may be required.
How to apply
You can apply for this job by sending a CV/written application to Wendy Ketteridge at Newmarket Plant Hire Ltd., wendy@newmarketplant.co.uk.
Employer
Newmarket Plant Hire Ltd.

Go there. Go there this afternoon. Don’t send a CV, jump in your car right now and go chat to them.

Good advice there Harry…Cut out the middleman and walk in with a smile. (Don’t grin they’ll think you are loco!)
Also…I have just e-mailed around 20 agencies this week, and not one has e-mailed to acknowledge me. FFS.

Thanks guys, yes I have already sent my CV to that one Harry thanks though guess I took the wrong approach, yes I have tried the Gas companies I had a interview this morning at one of them he recons there will be work for me (through an agency though) on an on going basis, I asked if its not permenant he said no but often I say I want a driver for 2 days a week it turns out to be a weeks work, he goes I got 14 drivers and I have got one agency driver here everyday for 3 years so who knows

A lot of it depends on luck. The best approach is and always has been to drive around these places, taking your driving licence and any other gear and all your PPE and being prepared to start RIGHT NOW. Not next week, not tomorrow, now.

All you need to do is turn up at a firm where the regular driver has just phoned in sick, and there’s your start.

keebs26uk:
Had my class 2 since September 2010 yes I have done abit of work here and there but othing regular, I have applied to jobs in the Jobcentre but there mostly all agency, I have gained my Hi-Ab and ADR in gases but still can not get a permenant job. I have set 100s of CVs off made hudreds of phone calls, this whole year has been a constant struggle on and off the dole etc, there just dosn’t seem to be any jobs around the Ipswich area that are permenant, just feel I have wasted my money and a year of my life trying to get in somewhere. I have been told if I had a class 1 I could get a job tomorrow (by a class 1 driver I know) but I just haven’t the funds to pay for class 1 as I dont have the work and I can’t get a loan because of bad credit so I’m at a loss no idea anymore what to do, I have even walked in a few places asking near begging for a job :unamused:

Don’t give up. The work is there. Try your local tipper firms, if you need training on tippers offer to train/work for free for a week or two. Cash in hand casual work is to be had on tippers as well, + they might have some snow ploughs.

pavaroti:
Try your local tipper firms, if you need training on tippers offer to train/work for free for a week or two.

WADR, I would strongly disagree with that, don’t ever offer to work for free.

Harry Monk:
A lot of it depends on luck.

A lot of it is reputation as well. Once you get a reputation as a good driver, you’ll find getting work a lot easier and the easiest way to do that is build it up doing agency work. You’ll know you’ve got that reputation when companies ask the agency if you’re available.

As I’d done agency work for just short of a decade and been in pretty much most haulage companies in my areaa I got to the point where if I saw a permanent job advertised at a place I just picked up the phone and didn’t even need to go for an interview. I’ve had 5 permanent jobs as a HGV driver and only had to have an interview for one of them. At one of those not needing an interview I’d never worked there and it turned out that the TM had been at a place I’d done on agency.

Harry Monk:

pavaroti:
Try your local tipper firms, if you need training on tippers offer to train/work for free for a week or two.

It’s more training if needed, get his foot in the door, his name known. Worked for me back in the 90’s when i was wanting to be a tipper driver but no experience. A few days, no harm done.

Lovlyperson:
Tsco does loyts to London with Rigid
send ya PM

Whaich of Shakespeares’ plays is this quoted from?

Ah I know…
Comedy of Errors.

I’m fed up reading how people post by Tapatalk.

NTSA…HE ISN’T ENGLISH!!!

Try Dooley Rumble at Claydon, they were looking for a permanant class 2 driver with nights out a few weeks ago.

Or alternatively if you dont mind abit of graft, i can ask at my place (3663 Stowmarket)

AaronR

Harry Monk:

LORRY DRIVER CLASS 2
Vacancy from
Job No:ISF/51972SOC Code:8211WageNegotiable depending on experienceHours40+ PER WEEK, MONDAY TO FRIDAY, BETWEEN 7AM AND 4.30PMLocationIPSWICH, SUFFOLK IP3DurationPermanentDate posted22 November 2011Pension detailsNo details held
Description
Must have a minimum Class 2 licence. Previous experience is preferred, but not essential. Will be based at Ipswich. Main job will include delivering and collection of heavy and small plant, delivering in the East Anglia area. Some overtime may be required.
How to apply
You can apply for this job by sending a CV/written application to Wendy Ketteridge at Newmarket Plant Hire Ltd., wendy@newmarketplant.co.uk.
Employer
Newmarket Plant Hire Ltd.

Go there. Go there this afternoon. Don’t send a CV, jump in your car right now and go chat to them.

Worked for me straight to depot manager not hr with cv and bingo interview wednesday :slight_smile:

Have sent you a pm…

pavaroti:

Harry Monk:

pavaroti:

It’s more training if needed, get his foot in the door, his name known. Worked for me back in the 90’s when i was wanting to be a tipper driver but no experience. A few days, no harm done.

Actually a lot of harm done. If you do ‘train’ for nowt you are setting a precedent for all the following drivers and they will be expected to do the ‘training’ for nowt too.

Keep your desire to work for free to the local charity shop and out of haulage!! :smiling_imp: