I feel guilty as hell

well last night i at a big company at skipton doing a trailer swap. i was just hooking up to my trailer going back to leeds when a couple of italian drivers came over. :question: could i give them jump start as they had flat batteries and were stuck :exclamation: :open_mouth:

and i said no :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

normally i would do anything i could to help them, but the circumstances were that my fuel was on red light from keighley and i had to get back to south leeds and also the daf cf i have is all electric with the as tronic gearbox and as its my first week i didnt want to fry anything.

i feel quite guilty especalliy when i said no and they stayed where they were looking at me in disbelief. :blush: another point is they could have asked the shunter there who has a crappy old fl10 and there isnt anything fryable on there.

You did right…

Those DAF CF’s can be prone to blowing the Engine Management module if not connected properly for jump starting…

Was always told by DAF mann dealers to turn headlights on main beam before connecting batteries, as this should stop the ECU from getting a jolt and frying…

Modern trucks aint designed for jump starts methinks. :cry:

no christams spirit there then
but if you did fry anything then it could be you whom was left high and dry
dont worry

Don’t feel guilty, just remember that them drivers are descended from the gits who let Hadrians wall fall down.!!!

I did the same thing in France, a poor guy walking round the park with jump leads and I wouldnt let him use my batteries because of the on board computer, luckily another driver understood my broken French and he explained the reason why I had refused. He then pulled his older truck alongside and helped him on his way.

Modern vehicles with computers are very different to vintage Morris Minors and this conversation led to the suggestion that an ABS lead can be used to start another truck if you let the charge trickle through for half an hour. In the words of Wikipedia. (CITATION NEEDED)

jessicas dad:
well last night i at a big company at skipton doing a trailer swap. i was just hooking up to my trailer going back to leeds when a couple of italian drivers came over. :question: could i give them jump start as they had flat batteries and were stuck :exclamation: :open_mouth:

and i said no :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

normally i would do anything i could to help them, but the circumstances were that my fuel was on red light from keighley and i had to get back to south leeds and also the daf cf i have is all electric with the as tronic gearbox and as its my first week i didnt want to fry anything.

i feel quite guilty especalliy when i said no and they stayed where they were looking at me in disbelief. :blush: another point is they could have asked the shunter there who has a crappy old fl10 and there isnt anything fryable on there.

you were right in not helping so don’t feel guilty you had a reason for why you could not help

but let’s say you did and all your electrics blue how guilty would you have been then as you knowingly damaged the truck

you have to make the right choice and i think you made the right one for your situation

del

I think you did the right thing.

Its one of the reasons I’ve been thinking about buying one of those battery boosters from maplins, about £60ish if I recall correctly.

Would have been useful in the situation I think.
Has anyone ever used one on a truck?

Alex

the maoster:
Don’t feel guilty, just remember that them drivers are descended from the gits who let Hadrians wall fall down.!!!

Yeah the same gits that obviously didn’t hang about long enough to educate you!

:unamused:

ANDY1961:

the maoster:

FPMSL :laughing:

Cheer up Andy, it’s not yet 3pm on a Friday, you’re sat in front of a pc. Could be worse dude, you could be sat in traffic being wound up by an English rep in a Mondeo. :laughing:

Yes, feel guilty! This proves a point I was trying to make on another post, that people in this country are just looking for excuses not to do something.

Have any of you, and not your mates brothers aunt, actually had anything blow up from jumping? I have been on both sides of the situation many times and have never had a problem (I even spent 3 days starting an Actros, a highly electronic truck, with a screwdriver when working for Nolans!). Only this morning I had to help my brother who had flat batteries, me in an 06 Scania and him in an 05 Volvo. He only passed his test a couple of months ago and we now work for the same company. I told him next time to ask anybody passing, they will help. Obviously not.

well last night i at a big company at skipton doing a trailer swap. i was just hooking up to my trailer going back to leeds when a couple of italian drivers came over. Question could i give them jump start as they had flat batteries and were stuck Exclamation Shocked

and i said no Exclamation Exclamation Shocked Shocked

Well lets hope you don’t need help from anyone in the future. I have never had a problem being jumped started or helping others and I run newish trucks.

You need to get out more. Offering to help those in need is what its all about.

I hope your wheels fell off on the way back !
[/quote]

the maoster:

ANDY1961:

the maoster:

FPMSL :laughing:

Cheer up Andy, it’s not yet 3pm on a Friday, you’re sat in front of a pc. Could be worse dude, you could be sat in traffic being wound up by an English rep in a Mondeo. :laughing:

It’s going to get worse! I’m on nightshift tonight heading down to Melton Mowbray!

:wink: :wink:

Oh deep joy, loads of muppets breaking their necks to get past you just before the roadworks on the border, then slowing to 30mph all the way thru. :smiling_imp:

ok for what its worth here’s another reply. Applies to cars, so don’t suppose trucks any diffrent. There are on sale for cars a set of jump leads with some sort of electrical thing between the leads that are for starting cars with flat batteries. The electrical piece that both the leads run through is to damp out the spark so not to damage the computer electrics. Otherwise used in exactly same way as the old leads.

Plambert:

well last night i at a big company at skipton doing a trailer swap. i was just hooking up to my trailer going back to leeds when a couple of italian drivers came over. Question could i give them jump start as they had flat batteries and were stuck Exclamation Shocked

Well lets hope you don’t need help from anyone in the future. I have never had a problem being jumped started or helping others and I run newish trucks.

He might “need to get out more” (according to you anyway), but you need to chill out!

“J’s dad” says he feels guilty (and he obviously does if he’s writing on here about it!), but he did give his reasons.

:unamused: :unamused:

Believe you should be ok giving a jump start if you have the ignition shut down when you connect the leads… I´ve never had problems giving or getting a jump start.

we use the "anderson " connections on our daf 85 to jump another daf 85, not encountered any problems yet and the other week i needed a breakdown callout to jump it and again from a proper battery jumper no problems. no extras like lights or stuff.

Plambert:

thanks for your quote and you would be pleased to know that my wheels were firmly attached when i returned, thanks for your concern :laughing: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: and in future i wont help anybody in case its you.

switchlogic:
Yes, feel guilty! This proves a point I was trying to make on another post, that people in this country are just looking for excuses not to do something.

Have any of you, and not your mates brothers aunt, actually had anything blow up from jumping? I have been on both sides of the situation many times and have never had a problem (I even spent 3 days starting an Actros, a highly electronic truck, with a screwdriver when working for Nolans!). Only this morning I had to help my brother who had flat batteries, me in an 06 Scania and him in an 05 Volvo. He only passed his test a couple of months ago and we now work for the same company. I told him next time to ask anybody passing, they will help. Obviously not.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

im not going to be lectured by a nolan driver who starts his lorry with a screwdriverski who thinks his tacho is something to put his cup of teaski on.

jessicas dad:

switchlogic:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

im not going to be lectured by a nolan driver who starts his lorry with a screwdriverski who thinks his tacho is something to put his cup of teaski on.

Fair enough, was not trying to lecture you, just putting my point. I raised the Actros point merely to illustrate that trucks electrical systems are more robust than people think. Also, I’m an EX Nolan driver from Oxfordshire so the ‘ski’ on the end of things is a bit misplaced. Thank you, have a pleasant evening.