I feel guilty as hell

JS you did the right thing!
you were as you say unfamiliar with the truck ect so unaware if it would cause any probs…

I have seen a battery explode whilst trying to jump start, not a pretty site and very lucky no one got hurt, and as for onboard computers ect it is possible to damage them through jump starting, we had a merc axor which was being jumped off renault, blew some of the fuses in the renault!

lok at it from an owners point of view, es its great if the driver recieves assistance and everthings ok, no call out breakdown,late delivery ect
but what if something happens and knackers the truck?

and as you say there was a shunter about in a vehicle that was less value in money, less electronics, ect

jessicas dad:
but the circumstances were that my fuel was on red light from keighley and i had to get back to south leeds and also the daf cf i have is all electric with the as tronic gearbox and as its my first week i didnt want to fry anything.

Based on the above facts, i don’t blame you.

BUT if it had of been me, (its happened a time or to, can’t think why? :laughing: )

if it had of been me, would you of helped?

I would have helped, but then I am very familiar with my truck and I also know the proper way to jump start another truck- you would be surprised how many truck drivers don´t.

There is a distictive bad mood on this thread

little enis:
There is a distictive bad mood on this thread

Not from me!

I beleive that at each time you have to weigh up the circumstances, as with j d he was himself in a difficult situation ,imagine the call back to the boss “erm me batteries flat or me electronics are shot cos i jump started another motor and by the way i have run out of derv as well”
In the past i have jump started /towed and rerigged wiring so some other driver could be on his way but on a few occaisions when i have needed help i have had a 50/50 response but i will still try to help someone if i can BUT not at the expense of me being in trouble for it.
I applaud JD’s post insofar as he at least admits his uncertainty and his regrets.
Basicly if the batteries or anything else is a problem then some part of it is due to lack of maintenence or likewise,not always the drivers fault so why risk you own vehicle/job cos some bosse’s won’t pay for proper maintenence.
J D i think you made the right choice and in reading past posts i think you would in other circumstances have “done the right thing”
as to MR VAIN’S comment ,it does not matter who you are it matters in the situation your in as in both you and him (no offence intended) i once spent the best part of a daily rest helping a new driver with a well tasty motor sort his lights out whilst waiting for the ferry crossing no problem a few years later i saw him on telly talking about the F1 team he owned. (no names no pack drill) and at the time he was very grateful for the help but also kept saying he understood if it was to much trouble. so each case on there own merits.
this post is not intended to criticise anyone’s viewpoint

Harry Monk:
I would have helped, but then I am very familiar with my truck and I also know the proper way to jump start another truck- you would be surprised how many truck drivers don´t.

just out of curiosity, what is the proper way? I’ve never needed to jump start a truck, but i guess i would just connect negative to negative, then positive to positive, starting with the ‘donor’ vehicle.
:question: :question:

crickrichard:

Harry Monk:

just out of curiosity, what is the proper way? I’ve never needed to jump start a truck, but i guess i would just connect negative to negative, then positive to positive, starting with the ‘donor’ vehicle.

correct but with the onslaught of computerized vehicles and stuff the best way is to
1 either phone your boss and ask permission
2 phone the breakdown people for advice
3 do nowt and hope he gets going again
my choice 1 or 2 :smiley: to do that

Gotcha. Probably shouldn’t of asked, coz a pound to a penny i’ll break down tomorrow! :slight_smile:

crickrichard:

Harry Monk:

Make sure the ignition systems on both vehicles are turned off, ideally by closing the battery isolator switch (this will mark your tacho card if you have an anologue tacho like me but all you need to do is write on the card why the power was interrupted) and make sure you connect to both outside terminals to each other- I have seen people get this wrong on more than one occasion even after I have added my two pennorth.

You are supposed to connect the negative leads to the chassis but I personally have always connected them to the battery. Be extemely careful in cold weather if you suspect that the dead battery may have frozen, this is when they can explode.

Harry Monk:

crickrichard:

Harry Monk:

Make sure the ignition systems on both vehicles are turned off, ideally by closing the battery isolator switch (this will mark your tacho card if you have an anologue tacho like me but all you need to do is write on the card why the power was interrupted) and make sure you connect to both outside terminals to each other- I have seen people get this wrong on more than one occasion even after I have added my two pennorth.

You are supposed to connect the negative leads to the chassis but I personally have always connected them to the battery. Be extemely careful in cold weather if you suspect that the dead battery may have frozen, this is when they can explode.

see after all my years in this game. bugger along comes someone with a tad more knowledge and experiance :slight_smile:

Exploding batteries!!! That would surely liven up a nacho break alright! :smiley: :open_mouth: :smiley: :open_mouth:

crickrichard:

Harry Monk:

use a ratchet strap attached to 4x4 and get them to pull you and 18 tons backwards!!! worked for me.

Yebbut that´s a bump start, not a jump start.

Harry Monk:
Yebbut that´s a bump start, not a jump start.

yeah i meant as an alternative :laughing: :sunglasses: :exclamation: :exclamation: he didnt bump me though he pulled me :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses: :exclamation:

Harry Monk:
You are supposed to connect the negative leads to the chassis but I personally have always connected them to the battery.

Just out of interest, why is the chassis preferable to the battery?

Harry,

never had the Tacho switch off when using the battery Isolator as far as I can remember anyway, but then again maybe its a french thing! :slight_smile: :wink:

Would I have helped yes I would JD but I can see your point. If you are really bothered about blowing your electrics (lights on always helps, definately don’t start the flat truck until your have run up the batteries for a few minutes also) to jump start someone just disconnect the positive feed from your batteries and jump him it takes 2 minutes. Make sure they don’t shoot off though before you reconnect and start your own as you will feel a complete mug if they are flat!! LOL :laughing: :wink:

right to be honest ive have jumped started another vehicle before it was a polish fella at birch services but the differance was i had a n-reg 95 daf so as far im aware no onboard computers, i turned off both vehicles and proceded as normal and everything was fine. but this i felt guilty cos i had let these drivers down but the point is i wasnt sure of my daf cf with all the electrics nowadays in them plus the auto gearbox plus i was worried about lack off fuel.

imagine me jump starting someone off then phoning explaining why everything is scrambled.

im sorry ive let those drivers down.

MR VAIN:
Based on the above facts, i don’t blame you.

BUT if it had of been me, (its happened a time or to, can’t think why? :laughing: )

if it had of been me, would you of helped?

first rob i think we would have had a cup of tea why we dilberated the situation then we could have pumped our muscles and started pushing.

switchlogic:
[I raised the Actros point merely to illustrate that trucks electrical systems are more robust than people think.

Although mine does’t know this and trips its ABS fuse everytime i hook a trailer up with the ignition on.

mrpj:

Harry Monk:
You are supposed to connect the negative leads to the chassis but I personally have always connected them to the battery.

Just out of interest, why is the chassis preferable to the battery?

I understand, but wait to be corrected if wrong, that should the connection spark you are away from explosive battery gasses. Probably a slim chance but one that has happened hence the added caution.