I am being attacked

On another forum I use, I came across this list of things that wind people up about bad driving.

1. People sitting in the left lane by a slip road on the motorway, oblivious to traffic wanting to come onto the motorway, and not moving to the empty middle lane.
  2. People hogging lanes on the motorway
  3. HGVS/coaches in the outside lane [yes it happens occasionally on the M20 with foreign drivers ]
  4. 50mph sunday drivers in NSLs. I had one flash me for doing 70 on a NSL dual carriageway because I was “speeding”.
  5. Drivers not paying attention - talking with children, reading, playing with make up, CD changing, talking on the phone

I immediately took umbrage at number 1 and said that it was the vehicle joining that should give way, not the vehicle being driven already in lane one.

How about:

Idiots who think that you should give way to them to let them onto a motorway when there’s actually no safe way that you can give way to them, and then blame you for their own incompetence

as happened to me on Sunday.

Wheel Nut:
3. HGVS/coaches in the outside lane [yes it happens occasionally on the M20 with foreign drivers ]

i had one last week on the M74. im overtaking a tanker and this foreign ■■■■ overtakes me in L3. not only that but he couldnt stay in his lane and nearly forced me into the tanker. i backed off and pulled in behind the tanker, this ■■■■■■ pulls over and halfway into lane 1 forcing the tanker onto the hard shoulder :imp:

I had a guy who a few weeks ago,started gesticulating to me in a coffee shaking bean fashion,because I wouldn’t let him onto the motorway,from the sliproad.

What he failed to realise,is that I couldn’t move over,because the middle and outside lanes were blocked,and once he did get out,and eventually around me,I gesticulated to him to pull over onto the hard shoulder,where we could have a ‘discussion’ about it.

Needless to say,he didn’t stop.

Why do people think they have a God given right to enter the motorway,despite the fact you can’t physically let them on,and the fact the rule in the highway code states that you do not enter a motorway unless it’s safe to do so?

The number of times that I have moved over for a car,only for them to not acknowledge me,and then leave me hung out to dry in the middle lane,while they speed off,has now meant that I do not move over for a car,even if the middle lane is clear.

Ken.

1. People sitting in the left lane by a slip road on the motorway, oblivious to traffic wanting to come onto the motorway, and not moving to the empty middle lane.

Well note it does say ‘empty middle lane’ if the middle lane really is empty then it’s common decency to move over. Granted there are ■■■■■■■■ who leave you there to dry once you have let them out, but look at it another way, if a truck is trying to join a motorway and you’re coming along the left hand lane in your car would you move over for him if the middle lane was empty? Or would you make him slow up and lose momentum, and have to pick it up again.
Bit of common on both sides makes life easier.

Indecisive people annoy me though, you see them go for it, so you ease off a little so they can slot in front of you, but then they change their mind and hit their brakes.

the way the lanes go from 2 to 3 at folkestone northbound its easy for a lorry to end up stuck in the outside lane…especialy if a train has just unloaded …its easy for us that live there and use it regular… :unamused:

can work the other way too when you’re heading coastbound (BTW the M20 runs east/west at Folkestone :stuck_out_tongue: ) you pull out to the middle lane in good time, as the nearside lane becomes the slip road and then you’re down to 2, then you get idiots right on your arse and undertaking you etc etc…

Doesnt matter what you;re driving either, 70 just isnt fast enough for some people.

In my view cars can accellerate and slow down much better than me so I generally stay in the lane and maintain my speed let ting them use their skills to get into the flow.

dennisw1:
Well note it does say ‘empty middle lane’ if the middle lane really is empty then it’s common decency to move over.

Strange you say this Dennis :wink: :wink: :wink:

I actually did this on my C+E Test on the Dual Carriageway A19 and got a Minor for it,

And I was the only vehicle on the road at the time apart from the car coming up the slip road & wanting to join :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

perhaps this thread highlights just how bad the attitude of drivers is in this country, if theres something in the midle lane it’s impossible to let something pull on from a slip road■■? it’s impossible if your not prepared to back off for a fraction of a second which of course would make no difference what so ever to your journey time but would simply make things easier for the other driver!
seems the majority, no matter what they’re driving think that the piece of road they happen to be on belongs to them and nobody else is sharing it for any reason, end of.

This problem is just one of many I encounter every day out on the roads. Personally I think the standards of driving in this country have got progressively worse over the last few years, and I dont just mean car drivers. The amount of accidents and near misses I see happening every day just because everybody wants to be somewhere yesterday is quite scary. And the road rage aggression scenario isnt getting any better either. I know we`re all under pressure to get the job done, but it just seems to be a constant ratrace in this country now. Maybe its quieter in your neck of the woods, if so enjoy it while it lasts.

perhaps this thread highlights just how bad the attitude of drivers is in this country, if theres something in the midle lane it’s impossible to let something pull on from a slip road■■? it’s impossible if your not prepared to back off for a fraction of a second which of course would make no difference what so ever to your journey time but would simply make things easier for the other driver!

I think that you are under the impression that most car drivers have a clue how to join a motorway. I had one the other week where he was travelling at the same speed as me, level with a gap (in front of me) that was at least 4 truck lengths long and STILL didn’t pull out, instead he hit the anchors hard… Nothing I could do but carry on (couldn’t pull out if I wanted to), last I saw he was stationary in the chevrons.

G

Gazzareth:
I think that you are under the impression that most car drivers have a clue how to join a motorway. I had one the other week where he was travelling at the same speed as me, level with a gap (in front of me) that was at least 4 truck lengths long and STILL didn’t pull out, instead he hit the anchors hard… Nothing I could do but carry on (couldn’t pull out if I wanted to), last I saw he was stationary in the chevrons.

I had one similar today on the A19, a little old lady in a Nissan Micra who was both in front of me and going faster than me on the slip road, but instead of pulling out decided to slam on the brakes and then pull out straight in front of the 8 legger tipper who was about 200 yards behind me! Going by the use of his full beam headlights I would think he wasn’t best pleased…

I also had a minor road rage incident along similar lines not long after I had started driving, a small van was next to me on the slip road, accelerating as fast as he could but as it was a bit of an uphill he couldn’t get enough speed up to pull out in front of me, so being the nice kind soul that I am, I let off the gas to let him in as he was about level with my cab. Unfortunately this was at exactly the same second as he had also decided to back off. We both spotted each other do this and then simultaneously got back on the gas, by which time he had run out of slip road and had to slam on hard and then merge behind me. Then when he came past me a mile or so up the road his horn was blaring and he was making hand signals at me and so on, before he then pulled in front of me and slowed down to about 30mph and just sat there for the next few miles (this was on the A1, I’ll add!). Thankfully I was in no rush, paid by the hour, and coming off only a couple of junctions later anyway so it wasn’t a big deal in the end but it just serves me right I guess for trying to be helpful…

Paul

Dont bother trying to help them . Its up to them to join , those white lines dotted along the slip road mean give way . They have to make their own decisions .

Gazzareth:

G

just assumed we were talking about wagons?

yesterday morning on the M18 south @ Doncaster J3,Tesco truck wanted out into flow, I had cars in middle and outside lane( he was not in tesco uniform) and gave a a lovely wave as he had to travel in the hard shoulder he then went off to the A1M
who was that chimp?

And I am still hunting the total bozo who works from EMA with a yellow truck who came from Northampton onto the A14 last night, he joined the road between 2 trucks by bullying and brute force and not happy to get into their lane he then came straight into lane 2 and tried to sideswipe me. I was on my bike at the time. Beware, I will find him because Paul and myself both did this run and we know the times, even if DH Hell have changed the runs a little

i for one stick to the rule that the piece of road i am on is mine…and i got so fed up with moving over to the middle lane (when i could ) to let others out…and then not letting me back in after, that i never move over now…i have laughed my head off at times when i looked in my mirror only to see clouds of dust where they have run out of slip road…and serves them right too…as was quoted above…its in the highway code to give way to traffic already on the carriageway…i always think to myself when an idiot tries to get out of a slip road…would you do that if i was a police car

I have also become vary wary in moving over for car drivers. You can tell the type that’s going to bugger you up by their approach…

You know, those will I or won’t I types, even though I’ve left a large enough gap I won’t flash them in cause I just know they’re going to brake :unamused:

I will move to lane two and even slow a little for car or truck just out of courtesy, but what really annoys me is the muppet who believes they have the god given right to join the motorway regardless, the lines defining the boundary between slip road and carraigeway are give way lines, thick, white closely spaced give way lines.