Hypothetical question

If you were to suffer a heart attack and your GP asks you if you drive a truck for a living and you reply ‘no’ (even though you do), and you don’t inform Swansea yourself, what happens?

As far as I know your occupation is not held on your medical file and there is only a legal obligation for them to inform Swansea if you are a truck driver.

:confused:

NOTE: this thread is not for discussion of the rights and wrongs of informing/not informing Swansea so if that’s what you want to discuss please start your own thread. :bulb:

Good question mate - I dunno officially. But I DO know someone from a firm I used to work for had a heart attack - took 4 weeks off sick, didn’t tell his doctor he was a lorry driver, then came back to work telling the TM the doc had cleared him to come back to work. He was still there when I left 3 years later…
Hope you’re not thinking of having one - I’m told they HURT!!

Rob K:
If you were to suffer a heart attack and your GP asks you if you drive a truck for a living and you reply ‘no’ (even though you do), what happens?

People who drive large goods vehicles (LGV) or a passenger-carrying vehicles (PCV), have to inform the DVLA about their heart attack and they will be temporarily suspended, for a minimum of six weeks, until they have adequately recovered. Their license will be reissued after passing a basic health and fitness test as long as they do not have any other condition or complication that would disqualify them from driving.

If youve said no your tellin fibs and as such you will be up ■■■■ creek without a paddle if something else goes wrong or are found out grassed up whatever.

Thanks for that Matt, did you get that from the DVLA site?

mattcollin:

Rob K:
If you were to suffer a heart attack and your GP asks you if you drive a truck for a living and you reply ‘no’ (even though you do), what happens?

People who drive large goods vehicles (LGV) or a passenger-carrying vehicles (PCV), have to inform the DVLA about their heart attack and they will be temporarily suspended, for a minimum of six weeks, until they have adequately recovered. Their license will be reissued after passing a basic health and fitness test as long as they do not have any other condition or complication that would disqualify them from driving.

If youve said no your tellin fibs and as such you will be up [zb] creek without a paddle if something else goes wrong or are found out grassed up whatever.

OP edited.

I did mate, funny enough I was thinking just the same thing the other day :open_mouth: You know what its like I’m 40 odd and you feel every twinge. Stressed out one day and I thought ■■■■ me I’m havin a heart attack! That or bad indigestion (had a ruby the night before) :smiley: But seriously, I thought my God thats me goosed, what do I do for a living?

Hope to God it never happens but it does get you thinkin :unamused: Suppose I should stop drinkin and smokin, said to my doc, if if I give up drinkin and smokin will I live till 109? He said er…no but it will feel like it :smiley:

I haven’t been back for the medical yet Rob. I did a treadmill test and in your words…

FAIL.

Not my heart though, the old legs gave up again at 8 minutes. Apparently 9 minutes means 9 kilometres. :open_mouth:

Ways and means I reckon.

But to your question, the answer to, “are you a driver,” is NO

Rob K:
If you were to suffer a heart attack and your GP asks you if you drive a truck for a living and you reply ‘no’ (even though you do), and you don’t inform Swansea yourself, what happens?

My guess is that this is one of those things where nothing comes of it until something bad happens (an RTA for example) but anything that causes your medical history to be looked into then sees you in the ■■■.

Paul

repton:

Rob K:

My guess is that this is one of those things where nothing comes of it until something bad happens (an RTA for example) but anything that causes your medical history to be looked into then sees you in the ■■■.

Paul

I totally agree with Repton on this you’ll get away with it until you have or cause s bad accident and then you could be looking at maybe a stretch in clink. :frowning:

This pre-supposes that the GP would ask the question… I actually doubt he would; the onus is on you to tell him and the DVLA.

I would bet that there are quite a number of people driving trucks with medical conditions that would disqualify them - This would include diabetes, eyesight problems like cataracts and high blood pressure.

The same applies to car drivers - many of them would fail a sight test and I often wonder why the cops dont do the numberplate test when they stop someone.

Santa:
This pre-supposes that the GP would ask the question… I actually doubt he would; the onus is on you to tell him and the DVLA.

I would bet that there are quite a number of people driving trucks with medical conditions that would disqualify them - This would include diabetes, eyesight problems like cataracts and high blood pressure.

The same applies to car drivers - many of them would fail a sight test and I often wonder why the cops dont do the numberplate test when they stop someone.

Because it takes 2 coppers to check - one who is good at numbers, and one who is good at letters :laughing:

If you do inform the dvla of any medical condition that requires it, these days they will usually insist you grant them permission to access your full medical records .
We have had drivers with heart complaints who have had their licence returned after a TC docters medical but the companies insurance have refused to insure them to drive . :confused: :confused:

I have had 8 heart attacks and a quintental bypass in 2000 and also suffer from Diabetis 2 but only on meds not insulin and just got my class 1 renewed, so you might aswell tell everyone, its fine.

Rob as you know my dad had a bad heart attack nearly 17 years ago ( heart stopped for 8.5 min ) he was advised not to drive for 3 mth afterwards he then went back to his GP who then gave him the all clear ( although due to age & previous heart probs his licence was taken away including his 7.5t ) although he didnt fight this ( think he could have if wanted to but would have to take the treadmill test although he would have passed he let it go ) he still drives his car now & is fine to drive

In my opinion you should inform DVLA but can understand if you dont ( for those that dont know I have had dealing with DVLA medical section more than once )

Less said, soonest mended :stuck_out_tongue:

would bet that there are quite a number of people driving trucks with medical conditions that would disqualify them - This would include diabetes, eyesight problems like cataracts and high blood pressure.

High blood pressure does not disqualify you from holding a HGV licence.
I’ve had HBP for at least 20 years and have had no problem with renewing licence etc.

Firstly to Malc…i too have to have a treadmill test, and yes it is 9km on an uphill gradient…passed the last one after the 2 bods held me up to finish the test…there is a myth that one has to finish the test…thats not true, although your results will be sent to DVLA, and be judged on what you actually did. I found that the heart didnt give any problems, it too was my legs…ask any driver to run 9kms, and he will run a mile :laughing: :l
Swansea have told me that there is a stress related test that they can give either in place or instead of the treadmill test, i`ve yet to find out.

With regards to the original post…IF…you have had a heart attack ( you will need a medical expert to confirm this ) then a doctor or hospital must by law, notify: 1. your doctor. 2. DVLA and of course it would be noted on your medical records, and dvla would eventually find out, and fine you £1000 for not telling them.
As other posters have said, you would be a fool not to be honest, and tell them anyway…a lot of heart attacks can be treated with medication ( depending on the seriousness ) if you were to have a bypass, or other type of surgery, i doubt if dvla would give you back a vocational licence, if they did, then more stringent tests would be carried out, compared to the person who only needs medication.
I`ve just booked my medical £90 which is more expensive than most, but dvla prefer you to use your own gp, who has direct access to your medical records, than the cheapo doctor who doesnt, plus it flags up suspicion. I will keep you all informed of my outcome, and if successful, will be running the london marathon. :laughing:

9 Km on a treadmill :open_mouth: the thought of that would give me a heart attack!

The chances are you doctor already knows you drive for a living, and if he does, he will inform the DVLA, otherwise he gets in the doo doo, I did the treadmill test after having a stent fitted 12 mins, but i’m not braggin, honest.

Since this is a hypothetical question I will give you a hypothetical answer. I was at the doctors Friday did the usual taking blood pressure ect. I had blood tests done 2 weeks before, takes 2 weeks to get results. :unamused: I have below normal cholesterol even though I normally eat 4 ex lg eggs on toast for breakfast. I do not eat pork or red meat. I am not a candidate for a heart attack. Now if something happened and I did manage to have one will I tell her (my doctor) I am a professional driver ; yes I would, would I report it ; yes I would. Why because my mom has had 3 heart attacks, you never know when one could possibly happen. No point in taking a chance in killing yourself or someone else. There are alot of people who have had heart attacks and have been cleared after treatment to drive again.

Courtney