Hoyer atkinson borderer

Just come across this topic, I could not believe what I was seeing, I used to own this lorry and the living wagon shown in the last photo in the 1980s. we used it on the fairground to pull our old skid ride. I bought it from a general dealer in Ramsdell near Basingstoke, he used to have a scrap waste paper business, and I believe this may have been a unit under an artic trailer. I took the 5th wheel off it, put the chariot sides on it, mounted a 5 cylinder gardner lighting set on the back, and a tico arm on the back end. It always was a pleasure to drive, lovely easy gearbox, although the drivers door did fall off once,and I did replace the wooden door pillar. I have some really good photos of the lorry in my ownership, I will try to upload them. I sold it to some hippies, along with the living wagon, and I believe they painted it green.

killsville:

Wheel Nut:
Front mounted exhaust but no visible firescreen or rear window clips Dave.

The exhausts were always mounted there on Atki’s - well at least on everyone I have seen! See picture below

Absolutely, all Atkinsons had the exhaust across the front.

Now I’ve never mentioned it on this forum before, but I’ve always rather fancied driving a Borderer, especially if it has a ■■■■■■■ motor and 9-speed Fuller. I think it’s because it was the last English lorry to have an old-fashioned exposed radiator grille and split windscreen, and for me it was still a real lorry like the ones I grew up with in the '50s and '60s. Well, there you go, I sat in one or two but never drove them. But I have a question: did the Borderer have that cable-change transmission technology that blighted (for some) later models? Or did it have the immediate, direct feel of the ERF? I’d love to know! And also, when did that cable change business start? Robert :smiley:

NPC405LMayssmall.jpg

robert1952:
Now I’ve never mentioned it on this forum before, but I’ve always rather fancied driving a Borderer, especially if it has a ■■■■■■■ motor and 9-speed Fuller. I think it’s because it was the last English lorry to have an old-fashioned exposed radiator grille and split windscreen, and for me it was still a real lorry like the ones I grew up with in the '50s and '60s. Well, there you go, I sat in one or two but never drove them. But I have a question: did the Borderer have that cable-change transmission technology that blighted (for some) later models? Or did it have the immediate, direct feel of the ERF? I’d love to know! And also, when did that cable change business start? Robert :smiley:

There’s no cable linkage nonsense in an Atkinson! The cable change came with the Cabtec-cabbed Strato.

A well-kept Atkinson (let’s not compare people’s tales of un-maintained 15 year old yard shunters!) is a pleasure to drive

240 Gardner:

robert1952:

There’s no cable linkage nonsense in an Atkinson! The cable change came with the Cabtec-cabbed Strato.

A well-kept Atkinson (let’s not compare people’s tales of un-maintained 15 year old yard shunters!) is a pleasure to drive

Thanks for this reply. Didn’t the 400 and 401 have cable-change? It’s so long since I drove one, I can’t remember. I do remember it in the Cab-tec Strato (and in the Foden). Robert

robert1952:
Thanks for this reply. Didn’t the 400 and 401 have cable-change? It’s so long since I drove one, I can’t remember. I do remember it in the Cab-tec Strato (and in the Foden). Robert

You’re welcome. No, the 400 range didn’t have cables either, just the Cabtec Strato. The joint in the linkage, and which enabled cable tilting, resulted in the 400 Series gearchange being turned through 180 degrees - not sure why, when other manufacturers managed not to do that! Having said that, it never bothered me, but Seddon did correct it on the 401 and 4-11. Thinking about it, I vaguely remember that a Fuller-equipped Hino was also reversed, but I never ever drove one

240 Gardner:

robert1952:

You’re welcome. No, the 400 range didn’t have cables either, just the Cabtec Strato. The joint in the linkage, and which enabled cable tilting, resulted in the 400 Series gearchange being turned through 180 degrees - not sure why, when other manufacturers managed not to do that! Having said that, it never bothered me, but Seddon did correct it on the 401 and 4-11. Thinking about it, I vaguely remember that a Fuller-equipped Hino was also reversed, but I never ever drove one

Wow! Then I must reopen the LHD SA 400 thread because my already happy memories of the 400, added to this new intelligence rockets the model to my top category of preferred units! Your info about the 180 degree turned gearchange probably accounts for it being orientated right-to-left (in addition to being U-shaped!). My goodness, we were just sent out in them - nobody warned us - at 3:00 on a frosty morning. Today’s drivers would refuse to take it out because they hadn’t been trained on one (quite right too!). Robert :smiley:

hia, dose anyone no the owner of JMU 266K, a 1971 atkinson borderer? and if he may sell the truck? thanks

I believe it is owned by a chap called John Murphy.

Don’t quote me on this but I am sure his son, also called John, has connections with Hoyers in Huddersfield so you might be as well contacting them.

Any particular reason for your interest in the Atki?

hi yes i think it is john murphy who owns it,he also has a few other classics like shaws old 8 wheeler S80,i think it is stored down at hoyers in huddersfield but not 100%,dont know if it is for sale tho,not got his number but he does sell some stuff in cvc from time to time,hope this helps :unamused: :laughing:

That Silver Knight was up for sale a few times - don’t know if it ever sold, but I remember seeing it rallied a few times with a ballast box instead of pulling a tank, so it may’ve been.

killsville:
I believe it is owned by a chap called John Murphy.

Don’t quote me on this but I am sure his son, also called John, has connections with Hoyers in Huddersfield so you might be as well contacting them.

Any particular reason for your interest in the Atki?

thanks for that. i am wanting an atki with the ■■■■■■ and fuller box. i was wanting a restored one as i am unsure if i can restore the cab. i am fine with the spanners but the timberfame? but i would love the challenge. the truck was at the scammell gathering a few years ago and i thought it was a very good restoration. thanks

paul allen:
hi yes i think it is john murphy who owns it,he also has a few other classics like shaws old 8 wheeler S80,i think it is stored down at hoyers in huddersfield but not 100%,dont know if it is for sale tho,not got his number but he does sell some stuff in cvc from time to time,hope this helps :unamused: :laughing:

thanks for that. i will have to try and find out his number.

marky:
That Silver Knight was up for sale a few times - don’t know if it ever sold, but I remember seeing it rallied a few times with a ballast box instead of pulling a tank, so it may’ve been.

when it was at the scammell gathering it had the box on. but a friend said that it used to be a joint ownership, so has one sold it to the other? who no’s? thanks for the help tho.

road-ranger:
thanks for that. i am wanting an atki with the ■■■■■■ and fuller box.

If I wasn’t so attached to it, I sell you my Atki!

It is a pity that Atki has not got a nice Butterfield barrel to go behind it.

They will mainly have been cut up for scrap or are being used as fuel tanks and the chassis well rotted

:open_mouth: Blimey!! A blue air susie. :open_mouth:

Are the airline taps still there too. :question:

That’s a cracking picture too road-ranger, many thanks for sharing it. :smiley:

That takes me back a while. :grimacing:

dieseldave:

Wheel Nut:

dieseldave:

Yes, a real milk bottle scatterer. :unamused:
And ear drummer as well. :smiling_imp:
Nice picture though. :wink: :laughing:

Spardo:

Wheel Nut:

dieseldave:

Front mounted exhaust but no visible firescreen or rear window clips Dave

As far as I’m aware, it doesn’t have any history in tanker operation - I believe it was new to J & J Maybank in Charlton so it will have done more with waste paper than Butterfield barrels!

Looks like it doesn’t have power steering, looking at the steering wheel position and the lack of a fluid reservoir - so it can take you back even more!