Howdens driver killed

newsandstar.co.uk/news/polic … -1.1174324

Richard Brown, aged 48, of Bristol Road, Hull, died at the scene of the incident on Monday afternoon.

It is understood he was a lorry driver making a delivery and the incident involved a forklift truck that was helping to unload his vehicle.

A post mortem examination was due to take place yesterday.

Mr Brown’s family are being supported by specially trained officers.

An investigation has been launched by the police and Health and Safety Executive into the tragedy at Howdens Joinery, Clay Flatts, Workington.

Detective Inspector Ian Harwood said: “We are currently investigating the circumstances of a work related incident at Howdens Joinery at Clay Flatts Industrial Estate.

“We will be speaking with members of staff from Howdens to establish the facts of what happened and why on behalf of the coroner.”

Emergency services, including an air ambulance and four fire engines, responded to the incident at about 1.20pm.

An ambulance service spokesman said a man had been trapped under a pallet.

Crying shame, he was a fantastic bloke. RIP mate.

That is so sad, and unnecessary, even looking at the forklift it looks like a battery one, therefore doesn’t lift much weight, r.i.p.driver and condolences to your family.

<Unverified “facts” removed.>

conor i have tried to respond to this twice and deleted both replys, its easy to point the finger no matter how much we may have done the job prior, what i will say is you have a driver killed and a forklift driver who will have to live with what happened, family who are no doubt devastated and a site discussing it.

for me RIP driver but the thread is not needed nor is the discussion (and yes am aware i have contributed).

Removed as it was a reply based on what was written in Conor’s post.

This is an absolute tragedy, but I’m sure that the real facts will be established by the Police/HSE.

This is the important part of what we have so far, and it’s from the newspaper report:

An investigation has been launched by the police and Health and Safety Executive into the tragedy at Howdens Joinery, Clay Flatts, Workington.

Detective Inspector Ian Harwood said: “We are currently investigating the circumstances of a work related incident at Howdens Joinery at Clay Flatts Industrial Estate.

“We will be speaking with members of staff from Howdens to establish the facts of what happened and why on behalf of the coroner.”

So Conor… this means that the facts are not yet known.

Following a report on your post, I’ve removed your extremely unhelpful opinions before they cause any more upset.

To other posters, a driver has died and the investigation is not yet complete, so PLEASE show some respect and consider what you’re writing before posting.

Thanks for your understanding.

R.I.P. to the driver.

well said dave i did try!

dieseldave:
To other posters, a driver has died and the investigation is not yet complete, so PLEASE show some respect and consider what you’re writing before posting.

R.I.P. to the driver.

Sad that you would even have to post the first bit. RIP to the driver… paid the ultimate price just doing his job.

RIP drive.

As much as we hate it H+S is something we must take to heart.

dieseldave:

Following a report on your post, I’ve removed your extremely unhelpful opinions before they cause any more upset.

Did you have to be such a prick and slag me off on the forum when you did it? A modification of the post as you did and a PM would’ve sufficed.

Shouldn’t really be surprised I suppose.

If you really think that’s being “slagged off” you need to get out more :wink:

RIP ‘drive’, and whatever happened, horrible for the forkie too :frowning:

dieseldave:
This is an absolute tragedy, but I’m sure that the real facts will be established by the Police/HSE.

This is the important part of what we have so far, and it’s from the newspaper report:

R.I.P. to the driver.

+1

A word to the wise, Dave has followed totally the rules of this forum , we understand that emotions can run high in these circumstances, but calling a moderator simply doing his job names does not help- It is a sad situation and our thoughts are with the family and friends of the driver.

If anyone has an issue on how this thread has been moderated can I suggest they e-mail me so as not to derail such a sad situation

Looks like whoever took the photo was well out of order. Looks like they were in the process of dealing with it at the time and the photo has been taken over the cordon.

Unbelievable the agency saw fit to pass on the news to his partner with an answerphone message. :imp:

RIP driver ,
Thoughts and prayers with his family and friends

Conor:

dieseldave:

Did you have to be such a prick and slag me off on the forum when you did it?

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :exclamation:

Did you have to be such a prick and slag me off on the forum when you did it? A modification of the post as you did and a PM would’ve sufficed.

There is only one prick on here, and you are it big time, you Gob on legs.

It does make me wonder why so many potentially valuable discussions on truck net end in the gutter.

Condolences to all those tragically effected.

A lot and I do mean a LOT of members here need to grow up a bit.

What a truly sad incident. RIP Mr Brown, and condolences to your family. As for the rest of you I can’t believe you are using this topic to slag each other off. Grow up the lot of you and show some compassion.