How would you distribute this load?

So I’m asking as an inexperienced driver to experienced drivers for help here…

The other day I collected a load which was 2 metal plates which took about 4 pallets spaces each, and weighed about 5 tons each. Then I had 6 euro pallets which weight a total of approx another 5 tons. So approx 15 ton load in total. What would you have put over which axels, against the head board, etc etc to safely distribute this load over the trailer?

I made a guess, and all the way I was thinking “hope dvsa don’t pull me in case I’ve made a right pigs ear of this”. I was glad when I got it off at the other end and could go back to loading something I was used to.

But I’m interested from experienced drivers, in case I get anything at all similar again.

Thanks

I’d of put the 6 pallets on the head board so you’ve got weight on your front axel and then out the other 10 tonne over your back 3 axels and secured according.

And personally, I’d never ever guess! You ■■■■ that up you look a nob, might lose your job or worse still if it causes damage with weight causing blow outs on your unit. Another time the weights won’t be the same but you’ll get used to it.
Ask once, do it right. We all have to learn somewhere.

OllieNotts:
I’d of put the 6 pallets on the head board so you’ve got weight on your front axel and then out the other 10 tonne over your back 3 axels and secured according.

+1

daftvader:

OllieNotts:

+1

Might need to fill the empty space between with empty pallets so you get a “positive fit”. DV$A seem to be quite keen on that at the moment.

i would have put the sheet steel against the head board to stop it moving forward in case of heavy breaking one on top of the other, then a stack of pallets if possible then the six pallets over trailor wheels ,seen to many accidents with steel sliding to do it vice a versa

scrotumscratcher:
i would have put the sheet steel against the head board to stop it moving forward in case of heavy breaking one on top of the other, then a stack of pallets if possible then the six pallets over trailor wheels ,seen to many accidents with steel sliding to do it vice a versa

If it was pack of steel plates then definitely up front. Euro pallets at the back straps round the front and back and across. 3 straps across the steel. Possibly two across and one round the back.

Or just shut the curtains and drive carefully. :laughing: Saw that the other day. Plastic bins with metal parts in them (heavy plant components). I always strap, pallets I don’t bother because the load on them weight about 10kg. Guy was ranting on about gays. Telling me his daughters friend is gay and he stuck up for him, how some gay bloke flirted with him. I considered scaring him by pretending to be gay but we were on the same job so I knew I’d see him again.

The 6 Pallets i would load
1 Pallet in middle to headboard
1 Pallet in middle just behind first Pallet
4 Pallet ,2 on 2 without Gap to any one other
Metal Plate one behind the other,with no gap between any Pallet or Metal plate.
:arrow_right: the 6 Pallets will give ya 4 load Meter and 2 Metal plate 4 Meter too. Thats 1 Ton before Kingpin and 14 Ton between Kingpin and 2nd Trailer Axle. (You would have a Problem to chain the 2 Metal plate down,but from load weight distribution you were just fine :slight_smile: )

htmldude:

scrotumscratcher:

If it was pack of steel plates then definitely up front. Euro pallets at the back straps round the front and back and across. 3 straps across the steel. Possibly two across and one round the back.

Or just shut the curtains and drive carefully. :laughing: Saw that the other day. Plastic bins with metal parts in them (heavy plant components). I always strap, pallets I don’t bother because the load on them weight about 10kg. Guy was ranting on about gays. Telling me his daughters friend is gay and he stuck up for him, how some gay bloke flirted with him. I considered scaring him by pretending to be gay but we were on the same job so I knew I’d see him again.

On a head-on Collision would the Metal Plate cut the Cab off as a Hot Knife in Butter

scrotumscratcher:

Metal on Metal is slippery as Ice cream!

Stack the steel to the headboard ,pallets behind ,that way if an other part load comes on its easy to get the pallets moved to accommodate the other load.

Tricky without seeing the load but defo sheet steel butted up against something solid ideally headboard.

As mentioned plan your load expecting an emergency stop situation or sudden change of direction.

Axle loading is important obviously but priority is driver and other road user safety.

That said I’ve took some right abortions out in my time.

Safety first, VOSA second. :wink:

Thanks for replies everyone. It seem an it 50/50 though with it being pallets at headboard then sheets over the trailer axels as one option, then the other being sheets up against headboard and pallets further back.

I saw a flat bed on this run with 2 similar sized sheets of metal on the trailer and he had both these over the trailer axels and nothing up against head board which made me thing that was right as on a flat bed that’s probably the kind of thing he hauls all the time?

Is there a DVSA answer for how this load should be loaded?

Captain Caveman 76:
Might need to fill the empty space between with empty pallets so you get a “positive fit”. DV$A seem to be quite keen on that at the moment.

Is that what it is called (making sure there is no empty spaces on the bed, so even without securing it could not slide forward) I have never heard that expression before. But a tactic I have always used where possible, nice to have a buzz word for it now.

to the OP, i would have the steel butted against the headboard, if that was at the rear and the chains snapped in an accident, we would be taking five ton frizzbies.

agree with most on here - metal at front pallets behind.

Im truly amazed at how much faith people put in trailer headboards :open_mouth: . mdf and fibreglass and a thin sheet of alloy - not much of a restraint is it really ? and a bit of steel square bracing if lucky . Why wouldnt you secure a load with potential forward momentum :question: and prevent a lateral movement :question:
We used to carry oiled rolled steel tubes ,
that headboard didnt stop a tube coming straight through into the cab one day and pinning the driver to the steering wheel through his arm :cry:

I have had steel move on me too, but its far better being up against the headboard with something to attempt to prevent the movement than half way down the trailer where it has 5/10/20 foot to gather momentum.

The 6 Pallets i would load
1 Pallet in middle to headboard
1 Pallet in middle just behind first Pallet
4 Pallet ,2 on 2 without Gap to any one other
Metal Plate one behind the other,with no gap between any Pallet or Metal plate.
:arrow_right: the 6 Pallets will give ya 4 load Meter and 2 Metal plate 4 Meter too. Thats 1 Ton before Kingpin and 14 Ton between Kingpin and 2nd Trailer Axle. (You would have a Problem to chain the 2 Metal plate down,but from load weight distribution you were just fine :slight_smile: )

This way for me, this would be how it was likely to be loaded in Germany, with the addition of anti slip mats between the pallets and floor, and strap protectors to prevent the steel cutting the straps, and chains if possible, (ie if you carry them).

trux:
Im truly amazed at how much faith people put in trailer headboards :open_mouth: . mdf and fibreglass and a thin sheet of alloy - not much of a restraint is it really ? and a bit of steel square bracing if lucky . Why wouldnt you secure a load with potential forward momentum :question: and prevent a lateral movement :question:
We used to carry oiled rolled steel tubes ,
that headboard didnt stop a tube coming straight through into the cab one day and pinning the driver to the steering wheel through his arm :cry:

You’re quite right headboards are no where near as strong as one would suspect, however, the headboard is many many times less likely to fail if the load is abutted against it as opposed to the load being able to slide a short distance before hitting the head-boad.

If the Metal plate are on the Head Board you cant chain them down :exclamation:
Its not helping to put a Chain from Left to Right only. You need to go with the Chain on the Side down and hook it in on the Bottom of trailer Frame. The Spanner musst be between Trailer Bed and Trailer Fram,otherwise you just chain Sidewards,which may help on Bends but wouldnt hold much in Case of a sudden Stop.
On the Front you cant have much Trailer Frame to do so,First,and Second,having the Heavy Weight on the Head Board gets your Drive Axle weight quiet high. Remember. 10 Ton over 8 Pallets. Just above the 5th Wheel plus Front of Trailer gets you over the 5th Wheel Max Weight.