How would an agency driver go on the dole?

If they just stop giving you work would that be like being made redundant?

direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ … /DG_173252

As usual everything depends on what your CONTRACT stipulates. Check the link above, it doesn’t look promising.

My son has been out of work since being made redundant in May.
He has signed on several agencies,and also the dole.
You are allowed to work for 16 hours a week in addition to your dole,so one long shift,or a couple of 8 hour shifts are permissable.
As my son is only able to claim £64 per week,that doesn’t go very far,so a few hours a wek bumps it up a bit.
If he is lucky enough to get a few more hours from the agency,he signs off the dole,it maybe for only a week before he has to sign on again.

LASHHGV:
If they just stop giving you work would that be like being made redundant?

OK here’s how I used to do it during the quiet periods:

If you’ve not got work for the following week by Friday, go sign on. If you get offered work more than 16hrs IN A SIGNING ON WEEK* then you need to go sign off. As soon as you’ve stopped working then back to the dole office and do a rapid claim which is a shorter form.

• A working week and a signing week are not the same. If you sign on on a Wednesday, your “dole” week is Wed to Tues. So if you sign on on Wednesday, did 12hrs the following Tuesday and another 12hrs the day after that then nothing until you sign on again, even though you’ve done 24hrs in one working week, you’ve actually done 12hrs in week one of your fornightly signing period and 12hrs in week two so are under the 16hr rule and only need to fill in declaration of income.

I gave up claiming, its too much hassle for £40 a week or whatever it is.

Just to add to what Connor stated. The initial process can be a PITA, if you have to go through the laborious 1st contact telephone process, then go through the follow up 1hr+ long telephone interview prior to getting an interview at the dole office several days down the line.
As I discovered ages ago, you get to pt1 or pt2 then get offered 1-2 days work with the agy while waiting for the actual interview in person, which throws a spanner in the works.
So you end up back at the start of the process. Sod going back to square 1 while waiting for pt3, do the odd days your offered, go sign on, declare what you’ve done. But you
may be told you either can’t sign on, or ain’t entitied to anything ATM
But by perserving and gritting your teeth you will be in the position at least be on the system amd be able to do a rapid re-claim on/off/on/off etc

You can do it online, it’s much easier.

So, let me get this straight, if i work ONE shift a week, 12 hours [11 worked, 11.25 paid] for £200, I can still claim the dole ■■?

By being on the dole i get my council tax paid + other benefits [?], seems a good number, what`s the catch ■■?

Is it means tested, it seems worth the hassle, for the rewards :open_mouth:

£200 = 05.00 start on a SUNDAY :wink:

when i tried to get the dole last jan they said because i still work for the agency then no dole,even though i was getting no work and no money i was still employed by them.

Stanley Mitchell:
So, let me get this straight, if i work ONE shift a week, 12 hours [11 worked, 11.25 paid] for £200, I can still claim the dole ■■:

You could sign on, but because you’ve exceeded the £60 odd earnings limit for that week you wouldn’t be entitled to any payment of benefit

mac12:
when i tried to get the dole last jan they said because i still work for the agency then no dole,even though i was getting no work and no money i was still employed by them.

I’m surprised by that statement as all agy work is deemed adhoc casual/temp
( unless you work for the likes of manpower)
So by it’s very nature, the agy has no obligation to provide you with work so signing on shouldn’t be a problem. All you have to tell the jobcentre is that you’ve been laid off for an indefinite period.

To keep them from knowing you bank account details. You can be a PITA and ask for dole money to be paid by giro cheque
Just explain-that due to having no money in the bank, and having various direct debits, standing orders etc, ANY money that the dole want to pay will be swallowed up by the bank to cover those standing obligations BEFORE you will get you hands on it to feed yourself & you family.
The jobcentre really hate giving giro’s out in the post, but will give them for short periods 2-6 weeks.
Which I found ok as the nature of post Xmas agy work leaves you Yo - Yo’ing, signing on/off the dole repeatedly.

As far as Im aware you can now only earn £5.00 pw when claiming jobseekers ( may depend which 1 as they have 2 )

So be careful the other way is by having a bank account not in your name that money can go into

peirre:

Stanley Mitchell:
So, let me get this straight, if i work ONE shift a week, 12 hours [11 worked, 11.25 paid] for £200, I can still claim the dole ■■:

You could sign on, but because you’ve exceeded the £60 odd earnings limit for that week you wouldn’t be entitled to any payment of benefit

So that`s the catch, 16 hours max, or £60ish max, which ever is the cheapest option for DWP :open_mouth:

I have`nt seen any mention of the £60ish, but if your working 16 hours for a £60ish return, you are being paid less than the minimum wage :blush:

No you can only earn £5.00 per week before they deduct it for your jobseekers

If you work 16-30 hours per week you get no help at all

If you work 30+ hours per week depends how much you earn but you may qualify for working tax credit also working child tax credit

I never quite grasped this whole work 16 hr thing and still get Jobseekers, Say Im on the usual Jobseekers and get £65 a week, what if a agency offers me 8hours work at £7hr which is £56 how much in total do I get ? Is it £56 for the work + my dole of £65 in a week or if less how is it calculated ?

I thought if you sign on and get a job you arent alloud to sign on again for 6months ? :question:

keebs26uk:
I never quite grasped this whole work 16 hr thing and still get Jobseekers, Say Im on the usual Jobseekers and get £65 a week, what if a agency offers me 8hours work at £7hr which is £56 how much in total do I get ? Is it £56 for the work + my dole of £65 in a week or if less how is it calculated ?

I thought if you sign on and get a job you arent alloud to sign on again for 6months ? :question:

So did I, it now adds up, regarding some guys I have met, who only want to work Sat+Sun, mega buck days, then they retreat back on the “dole”, where you have your “out goings” [council tax ect], paid by the suckers :smiling_imp:

Lets hope Cam+Cleggy sort it out, whats the betting theyll have a struggle :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

keebs26uk:

If you earned that much you would get nothing

Depends now you can sign on at any point now & they even make allowance for those people who take short term contracts ( christmas work etc )

:bulb: at least it won’t worry all those heroes who were telling us all 2 years ago on here how they were earning £200 a shift and working when it suited them - they’ll have put much of it away to cover such lean periods, of course :unamused:

My prediction is that sometime early next year there will be a new TruckNet forum entitled “Drivers on the Dole” and it will be sub-titled…

“Were you once a truck driver during Gordon Brown’s Great Economic Fraud, delivering goods which people couldn’t afford to buy but relentlessly bought on an endless cycle of credit? Were you there when the money run out?”
:sunglasses:

oh right I was thinking about tryig it as I havent got alot of work at the moment only getting 3days a weeks max for the last 2 weeks (2days llast week) and if it carries on Im going to struggle to pay my rent. I suppose the 16hr system is good to have your rent paid through hard times, trying to save the pennies at the moment and hoping it gets better in the near future