How will truck driving end up?

Am I the only one that thinks the job of a truck driver is becoming more and more impossible as the years go by due to extensive and needless over-regulation and the impending 5 yearly drivers CPC that we’ll soon all have to have if we want to drive so much as a 7.5tonner. Most of the time I feel more like a law student than a truck driver. Driving a truck is easy enough, all the other [zb] is that ruins the job and definetly will ruin it when more and more and more and more and more regulations from our government and our EU transport industry experts are pilled upon us.

I really love driving trucks, if I can even get a job that is but I seriously have to say that IF I could find anything else I liked doing as much, I’d definetly give serious consideration into stop being a truck driver because the risks and responsibilities to follow endless laws and the risk of prosecution for absoluetly everything just isn’t worth it. Its like living in a totalitarian communist state, you’ll soon need permission and a licence to even walk out of your house, which to do so you’ll need a hard hat, steel toecaps, a vis vest and a tracking chip in your shoulder so that you can be tracked and prosecuted if you break any of the millions of laws that’ll be covered in the “European good citizens book of rules and regulations, 367th edition”

if it needs stars to get past the autocensor you know it’s not allowed…Denis F

If you think about all the laws some of us have had to accept, more laws, regulations and restrictions might not make much difference. We have learned to accept others and keep going, so we will just absorb them and keep going.
Remember what we do is get goods from point A to point B then C D E through to Z and pick those goods we dropped and point B and take back to point A, because some muppet in a suit couldn’t organise a drinking session in a factory making alcoholic beverages. Cor managed not to say ■■■■ up in Brewery Doh! :blush:
As long as goods need to be moved and the best way is by truck then we will be needed. regardless of laws or reglulations.

People probably said the same thing about the introduction of driving licences, the log book, the tachograph etc. We will just adapt and carry on. I don’t see it as being a major problem.

robinhood_1984:
Driving a truck is easy enough,

There are some who would say (I’m just taking a neutral stance on this one :wink: ) that driving is the easy bit of being a professional truck driver, however, it shouldn’t be just about the actual driving of the vehicle. There is a lot more required besides, to be a truly professional driver.

robinhood_1984:
the risks and responsibilities to follow endless laws and the risk of prosecution for absoluetly everything just isn’t worth it.

And there is a reason for the proposed ‘5-yearly CPC’ as you called it. We can’t have it both ways; we want to called professional drivers and we want to be treated like professional drivers. You don’t ‘get owt for nowt’ in this world and so to prove to those who would doubt us, we need to be able to portray a professional image with professional qualifications and training so as to earn a professionals wage. Being able to back it onto a bay, blind-side, first time, every time is not the be-all-and-end-all of being a professional! :arrow_right:

Tin hat time maybe, but remember I said I was ‘neutral’!!

I also think i could be a good idea maybe get rid of the deadwood in the industry

simon

it is a vastly over regulated industry, some of the regs are just plain daft, i had to stop at woodhall services on friday afternoon for a 45, i was no more than eight mile and thirty minutes from base and yet i’d spent the best part of two hours crawling up the m1 probably never getting above forty mph! if thats makes sense to someone? i wish they’d explain it to me!
they’re called ec regs but it seems only the uk enforce the regs to the letter.

paul b:
it is a vastly over regulated industry, some of the regs are just plain daft, i had to stop at woodhall services on friday afternoon for a 45, i was no more than eight mile and thirty minutes from base and yet i’d spent the best part of two hours crawling up the m1 probably never getting above forty mph! if thats makes sense to someone? i wish they’d explain it to me!

It is vastly over regulated, in my view anyway. I have absoluetly no problem with regulations so long as they are well founded, realistic and make sense and aren’t contridicted by other regulations and arent so vague as to exist but leave you wondering what they mean.

As for the proposed Driver CPC, from what I’ve heard about it, which may or may not be true, I’m totally against it 100%. In my view it wont make me, or anyone else any more of a professional driver, it’ll just add even more cost, even more complications to an already over regulated instustry and add yet more uncertainty to our own employment future for any number of reasons.

I don’t think that there any problem with the Law.
The Problem is just that they make Truck Driver to go in courses to get a deplom to make you liable in Case of Accident :confused:
I have just the situation that they load that stupid as just possible.
Most is last Quarter of Trailer overloaded,as they load first on front AM Deliveries,then Next Day deliveries,and at last economies.
By economies load they first lightweight Freight,and at last so much as is space heavy Economies.
I tried to help the Forkliftdrivers to start with loading heavy Freight on ground from Front to middle of Trailer,and light weight Freight from back forwards,to ensure last axle isn’t overloaded.
I posted already a few Picture,but didn’t say that my that costed 20.- to 40.- Pound each Week on donation.
Saturday morning,after finishing the Donation’stime got i told,if i like to get a load to be safe and legal on the Road may i find a other Company.
OK,
:arrow_right: if i go with a load as they like may i get in trouble.
:arrow_right: If i go not,may they send a other Driver and i stay next day in Jobcentreplus,where they would say “No pay,as you refused to work”
:bulb: But i may have at morning an breakdown in Roadwork Area on M1 in Leicester :laughing:
I am sure you may be happy with my if you stay in a Mileslong Trafficjam southbound :laughing:
:arrow_right: just,i don’t have so many possibilities,as they refuse to do as i say without donation
:arrow_right: They refuse to give my a Forkliftlicence and Forklift to do it myself
:arrow_right: And they would refuse to help my if i have an Accident,whether now a Person is injured,killed or just the Lorry in Farmland.

:question: Anuone other meaning :question:
Easy jobs done by cheap Drivers
Longhaul Jobs are much more bad paid.got offered 320.-/Week net for regular Milano/5 day’s work with nice Lorry.(Can’t eat Lorry,and like worst Lorry with higher pay :laughing: )

A good knowledge of tacho laws and 5 year compulsory training may well be the sign of a professional driver but are these same drivers being paid professional wages? In many cases, even for experienced drivers, the answer is no. So in answer to the original post it may not make driving an actual impossibility but would agree that these regulations may make it unappealing.

robinhood_1984:

paul b:

It is vastly over regulated, in my view anyway. I have absoluetly no problem with regulations so long as they are well founded, realistic and make sense and aren’t contridicted by other regulations and arent so vague as to exist but leave you wondering what they mean.

As for the proposed Driver CPC, from what I’ve heard about it, which may or may not be true, I’m totally against it 100%. In my view it wont make me, or anyone else any more of a professional driver, it’ll just add even more cost, even more complications to an already over regulated instustry and add yet more uncertainty to our own employment future for any number of reasons.

:smiley: Robin,no one will have problem with the Regulation.
just,with the Workingtime regulation is the Transport that expensive that the Gov can’t fine the Companies too often.
Now they train the Driver,and in each Case of Trouble can they fine you.YOU,as Driver :exclamation:
Technish problem on Lorry :question: “Why you are on Road with that Vehicle?”
Technish problem on Load :question: “Why you on Road with that Vehicle?”
Overloaded :question: ,wrong loaded :question: ,
problem with Tachocharts :question:
Timing wrong :question:
:arrow_right: Tell my anything you may not get in trouble with all the Licence and courses you will have in Future :question:
:question: I have ADR-Licence for all Class,but had to go by one of last Company as they had no ADR Adviser,no Doc’s for ADR Freight
they sended my empty near Birmingham from London to load ADR for Coca cola on Junction 24 or so on M1.
As i got no Emergencysheet got i said i have to go without.
i said:Emergencysheet,or other Driver,or unloading and other load :laughing:
10 min later arrived emergencysheet per Fax
Back Home got i said i have to do that ilegal as all other(who had no ADR-Licence in Company),as Emergencysheet’s costed 10.-Pound :unamused:
You can be sure that two days later all Companies around the Airport as well as other Partners are informed about the bad driver who works as he means,and other Companydrivers are fedup as they don’t understand why they have to go ilegal with ADR when there has one the Licence :question:

mrpj:
A good knowledge of tacho laws and 5 year compulsory training may well be the sign of a professional driver but are these same drivers being paid professional wages? In many cases, even for experienced drivers, the answer is no. So in answer to the original post it may not make driving an actual impossibility but would agree that these regulations may make it unappealing.

The five year thing wont make a difference in professionalism, like Fred says, it’ll just be used as another means to make the driver liable for prosection for an even wider spectrum of things and thats something I’d put a very large bet on.

As for making driving impossible, ok it wont be impossible but the rules and regs will eventually interfere so much that being a truck driver will be nothing but an emense hassle with endless red tape, paperwork and regulations and harsh penalties for not following all of these to the dot.

muckles:
If you think about all the laws some of us have had to accept, more laws, regulations and restrictions might not make much difference. We have learned to accept others and keep going, so we will just absorb them and keep going.
Remember what we do is get goods from point A to point B then C D E through to Z and pick those goods we dropped and point B and take back to point A, because some muppet in a suit couldn’t organise a drinking session in a factory making alcoholic beverages. Cor managed not to say [zb] up in Brewery Doh! :blush:
As long as goods need to be moved and the best way is by truck then we will be needed. regardless of laws or reglulations.

:exclamation: But,i do the Job to earn Money and not to get inteligent :laughing:

Coffeeholic:
People probably said the same thing about the introduction of driving licences, the log book, the tachograph etc. We will just adapt and carry on. I don’t see it as being a major problem.

scroll down to read where i see the problem.
And i don’t believe that i that far from the reality :sunglasses:

RobinHood1984,a few days ago you were asking about how to check if the disk you was useing was the right one,WELL if you consider that you are a
professional driver then you should have know n these details,THIS is why we do need a EXAM, I was qualifiedas a driveing instructor,IAM driver,but at the time I had to take a exam in Germany to be then qualified as a BREUFSKRAFTFAHRER–PROFESSIONAL DRIVER; and no before you any one asks I am still LEARNING EVERY DAY FROM;young &old drivers BUT
we need to ensure that the next generation of DRIVERS is fully up to date with the requirements that the goverment lays down and the H&S requirements for load restraining,methods of loading,(to prevent overloading
the vehicle and its axeles,the paper work which one has to do which can be
from a CMR ´;CARNAT;CEMT; FREIGHT NOTES;etc these all have to be done correctly,these are just a few of the points that will be covered by the forth comeing CPC for drivers, if one thinks about it deeply then you will come to the decision that yes this exam wil be a good benifit and will also bring more job security as welltrained and qualified drivers,do not grow on trees.
and even the older drivers will have to put time in and take in and learn what is the latest knowledge required,

fred Kanka:
:exclamation: But,i do the Job to earn Money and not to get inteligent :laughing:

Just like me Fred, " I don’t think and drive" :wink:

robinhood_1984:

mrpj:

The five year thing wont make a difference in professionalism, like Fred says, it’ll just be used as another means to make the driver liable for prosection for an even wider spectrum of things and thats something I’d put a very large bet on.

As for making driving impossible, ok it wont be impossible but the rules and regs will eventually interfere so much that being a truck driver will be nothing but an emense hassle with endless red tape, paperwork and regulations and harsh penalties for not following all of these to the dot.

Not just that i miss in National work the CMR Regulation,which safes Drivers and Transportcompanies,so read i a few Days ago that Austria will not work with CMR’s anymore.
You don’t need they,maybe,anymore in Austria.
The CMR regulation,for exemple says in a judgment in a court:in an accident is it enough if the driver indicates that the load must have sliped,or was incorrectly loaded,in order to come in defence and to force the loading-company its innocence prove to must
freetranslation.com/

I seem to missed this one, CPC for Drivers?

But then I was away for about a month recently.

Where does this come from and is it a real proposal or a malicious rumour?

steve_24v:

fred Kanka:

Just like me Fred, " I don’t think and drive" :wink:

Yep,but it’s difficult if Big Brother is watching you and someone provocates you in order of them :laughing:

CM:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=78

CM:

Its probably not called that, thats just how it has been described elsewhere. I think there was a thread about it on here a while back and its mentioned in the FAQ section here. http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=78