How will truck driving end up?

brit pete:
RobinHood1984,a few days ago you were asking about how to check if the disk you was useing was the right one,WELL if you consider that you are a
professional driver then you should have know n these details,THIS is why we do need a EXAM, I was qualifiedas a driveing instructor,IAM driver,but at the time I had to take a exam in Germany to be then qualified as a BREUFSKRAFTFAHRER–PROFESSIONAL DRIVER; and no before you any one asks I am still LEARNING EVERY DAY FROM;young &old drivers BUT
we need to ensure that the next generation of DRIVERS is fully up to date with the requirements that the goverment lays down and the H&S requirements for load restraining,methods of loading,(to prevent overloading
the vehicle and its axeles,the paper work which one has to do which can be
from a CMR ´;CARNAT;CEMT; FREIGHT NOTES;etc these all have to be done correctly,these are just a few of the points that will be covered by the forth comeing CPC for drivers, if one thinks about it deeply then you will come to the decision that yes this exam wil be a good benifit and will also bring more job security as welltrained and qualified drivers,do not grow on trees.
and even the older drivers will have to put time in and take in and learn what is the latest knowledge required,

:question: errr… Pete
shall i drive the Lorry or shall i run a office?
Would you mean i have to know the Law’s of CMR,CARNAT,CEMT,FREIGHT NOTES,ect,ect much more as driver did and do who travel till Fareast?
I will say i need just do know what i do,as i by Night Trunking,i do at moment,musn’t fill a Carnet de Passage or Carnet tir.

Fred Kanka Warum nicht, wenn die es so duch schafen von die EU die neu verordnung denn werden die fahrer ein sichere arbeits platz haben und besser ausgebildert fahrer,

Fred Kanka ,Why not as when they have got the ruleing through it will ensure that the driver has a safer working place. and also be better trained,

brit pete:
Fred Kanka Warum nicht, wenn die es so duch schafen von die EU die neu verordnung denn werden die fahrer ein sichere arbeits platz haben und besser ausgebildert fahrer,

Fred Kanka ,Why not as when they have got the ruleing through it will ensure that the driver has a safer working place. and also be better trained,

:question: I am not sure
Today earns one in Office or on Forklift nearly the same but has no risk.
how will it be in Future?
:exclamation: I am sure i don’t take a risk without that he is paid :laughing:
but for the right pay would i drive in Iraq too :laughing:

mrpj:

CM:
I seem to missed this one, CPC for Drivers?

But then I was away for about a month recently.

Where does this come from and is it a real proposal or a malicious rumour?

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=78

Thanks, MRPJ and Robinhood. I agree in principle with the proposal but the devil will be in the detail but I suspect that in true british tradition it will be devised by the unknowing, for application by the uninterested and imposed upon the unwanting, the ususal fudge and nonsense altered beyond recognition and common sense to satisfy all the ‘lobby’ groups who think they
have an interest. And the bill for all this, the Driver as usual :unamused:

I am a big believer in retraining, and I was taught that the most important thing about driving is getting the paperwork correct. Its a bit pointless driving for 10 hours or 6 days to a drop if you havent got a clue what paperwork you should have or how to fill it in. It makes the difference between the company getting paid or worse still having to pay massive fines.

There have always been regulations in road transport, from the A, B,C licensing system to driver licensing to log books to tachos. our next big hurdle will be digital tachos, so we need retraining.

I am going for a weeks training next week for a job I have done for 20 years, things change, regulations change. What is so wrong with being tested to show you know the changes?

An earlier post about the 4.5 hour limit and being 30 minutes from home. Well where do you draw the line, there has to be a limit, an absolute cut off point…

Any decent company will pay for this retraining, as any decent company will pay for medicals and digital tacho cards.

I assume the so-called CPC for drivers equates to the FCOS (Formation Continue Obligatoire de Securite) we already have in France. That is a five yearly event also. As it is (naturally) all in French I was dreading the the (3 day) course, but in the event it was mostly commonsense if you are an experienced driver. The only new things I learned were French specific such as the precise 60, 80, 90 speed limits and the fact that in France you should indeed indicate towards the roundabout until you pass the last exit before yours, and then towards your exit. You wouldn’t believe it would you? Hardly any French car drivers do this and quite a few truckers. Oh, and also it is obligatory to give way to pedestrians on zebras :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .
Not many people know that. :laughing:

One day out of the 3 was taken up with 3 of us driving around in a turboliner with an instructer strictly to speed limits. Difficult with some villages imposing 18mph. :open_mouth:

Being in France the first half hour of each day was the discussion of the lunch venue, and 2 hours for the eating of said lunch :laughing: .
Do you think the English version will be as much fun?

Mine runs out in May 2006 but I’ve just noticed that for those retiring in the meantime it can be extended by 2 years :smiley: . Very nice, but where’s the sense in that?

Salut, David.

Whilst all you have to do to join this industry is take a couple of weeks training, which basically only cover pointing the thing in the right direction, we will not be considered professionals and we will continue to get the manual wage we get.
Other professions require years of training, although this maybe on the job with day release for college, or even full time education.
We have drivers in this industry who don’t understand tachograph regulations, the basics physics behind load security, basic maintainance or how do get the best from moden trucks with new style gearboxs and electronics. This is why we get so many myth and questions on this forum on those subjects, because those drivers are passing this miss information onto the next generaton.

And as Wheel Nut said laws have to be set at a fixed point, the law says you have to be 21 to drive and HGV but some could handle a truck at 17 other should never be let near a wheel barrow, but you have to pick a point that covers most situations.

Wheel Nut:
I am a big believer in retraining, and I was taught that the most important thing about driving is getting the paperwork correct. Its a bit pointless driving for 10 hours or 6 days to a drop if you havent got a clue what paperwork you should have or how to fill it in. It makes the difference between the company getting paid or worse still having to pay massive fines.

There have always been regulations in road transport, from the A, B,C licensing system to driver licensing to log books to tachos. our next big hurdle will be digital tachos, so we need retraining.

I am going for a weeks training next week for a job I have done for 20 years, things change, regulations change. What is so wrong with being tested to show you know the changes?

An earlier post about the 4.5 hour limit and being 30 minutes from home. Well where do you draw the line, there has to be a limit, an absolute cut off point…

Any decent company will pay for this retraining, as any decent company will pay for medicals and digital tacho cards.

Wheel Nut - I agree whole heartedly with being re-tested and re-assessed and I am regularly in my day job dealing with HV Electricity and would equally welcome tests and re-training in my duties as an HGV Driver. What concerns me is Whitehall’s record of producing effective and comprehensible rules and legislation and then imposing it upon an industry not noted entirly for its benevolence towards its workforce.

Wheel Nut:
and I was taught that the most important thing about driving is getting the paperwork correct. Its a bit pointless driving for 10 hours or 6 days to a drop if you havent got a clue what paperwork you should have or how to fill it in. .

A bloke I worked with years ago was a gypsy and couldn’t read or write. We used to fill his log book in for him and as it wasn’t general haulage I suppose he got to know the delivery points by heart. If he was on a night out he got someone in the digs to help. He never had a hang up about it so was not afraid to ask.
Wonder how he’s getting on today.

Salut, David.

Spardo:

Wheel Nut:
and I was taught that the most important thing about driving is getting the paperwork correct. Its a bit pointless driving for 10 hours or 6 days to a drop if you havent got a clue what paperwork you should have or how to fill it in. .

A bloke I worked with years ago was a gypsy and couldn’t read or write. We used to fill his log book in for him and as it wasn’t general haulage I suppose he got to know the delivery points by heart. If he was on a night out he got someone in the digs to help. He never had a hang up about it so was not afraid to ask.
Wonder how he’s getting on today.

Salut, David.

Did the guy work for the old GRS outfit on Harlaxton Rd, Grantham?

I’m all for the traning, re-training and CPC too, but not particularly for my own benefit as I don’t think it will make any difference to my wage packet. However, it will get shut of a lot of dead wood off the roads, like Simon said, and probably prevent a lot of idiots getting behind a truck wheel altogether. This can only be a good thing.

In fact, I think it’s an excellent idea if it would also apply to the eastern european driver’s who are allegedly driving here on their Polish and Latvian driving licences. If we all had to take the same “exams” then it might just put a halt on them coming here and working for (some) companies for pennies.

In reducing the number of driver’s on the roads it will ultimately mean that wages will increase as it’s a case of supply and demand. Only those folks that were born with diesel in their blood will have the willpower and determination to make it happen in becoming a driver. The rest who “just fancy a change” from their IT jobs and what-not would soon focus their thoughts elsewhere when they realise just how much red tape is involved in getting behind the wheel.

My 2p.

:bulb:

totally dissagree with this so called five year CPC, it’s just another thing a would be driver will have to fund before he starts looking for a job!
i’m all for training but that should be down to the employer as it would be in any other enviroment, seems the onus is being put more and more on the driver who is, at the end of the day just an employee.
i suppose in reality it will be a watered down version of the current qualification which is an acedemic qualification gained by passing an exam and like any other, once gained lasts for life, so why have to take it every five years, are all drivers that stupid they’ll forget what they’ve learnt in that period?
i agree if theres going to be tacho laws, which i think every body would agree are needed then why are the current regs so outdated and unrealistic?
4.5 hours max drive, why? modern trucks are more comfitable than sitting in an armchair at home, uk roads on the whole are good so why such a short driving period?
theres lads in the steel works on 12 hour shifts, they operate some seriously big machinery, they get 30 miutes in the morning and 15 in the afternoon, is there any difference?
to me all the current regs acheave is to put drivers under pressure to cover as much ground as possible in the shortest amount of time.

I think its an EU wide thing Rob so these Latvians and Poles will get their qualification in their home country and come here just the same as now, it will make no difference in that respect.

paul b:
totally dissagree with this so called five year CPC, it’s just another thing a would be driver will have to fund before he starts looking for a job!
i’m all for training but that should be down to the employer as it would be in any other enviroment, seems the onus is being put more and more on the driver who is, at the end of the day just an employee.
i suppose in reality it will be a watered down version of the current qualification which is an acedemic qualification gained by passing an exam and like any other, once gained lasts for life, so why have to take it every five years, are all drivers that stupid they’ll forget what they’ve learnt in that period?
i agree if theres going to be tacho laws, which i think every body would agree are needed then why are the current regs so outdated and unrealistic?
4.5 hours max drive, why? modern trucks are more comfitable than sitting in an armchair at home, uk roads on the whole are good so why such a short driving period?
theres lads in the steel works on 12 hour shifts, they operate some seriously big machinery, they get 30 miutes in the morning and 15 in the afternoon, is there any difference?
to me all the current regs acheave is to put drivers under pressure to cover as much ground as possible in the shortest amount of time.

Totally agree with you Paul. I’m ok with the tacho regs, I can live with that but the WTD in my opinion takes the wee wee as does this new CPC thing, unless ofcourse it actually makes sense and can be applied to the industry in a positive way, which I seriously doubt.

ROB K, you are correct it will inculde all drivers who are either from a EU MEMBER COUNTRY and ANY DRIVER who drives for a company who
is based in a EU country but he comes from a COUNTRY out side the EU;
like ROMANIA; TURKEY; Bulgarian, SO as you also posted the non efficent
personel will not be able to compete and therefore a well trained and qualified driver will be better placed to work and be well paid,

paul b:

The recommended period for driving is just 2 hours with a 30 min break, ok so some other who operate heavey machinery have fewer breaks, but they work in a more controlled environment were some dizzy old pensioner doesn’t suddenly brake in front of them for no reason.

brit pete:
SO as you also posted the non efficent
personel will not be able to compete and therefore a well trained and qualified driver will be better placed to work and be well paid,

Well that would be the theory behind it, but knowing what this government is like, they’ll make an excuse for the eastern european’s and no doubt will still pay the companies subsidiaries for them to work here, just like they’re doing now. :angry:

ROB K no way as this rule is being enforced all ready here in Germany
and there will be no escape clause for NON-EU-PASSPORT holders
and that is the correct way ,it should be,

brit pete:
ROB K no way as this rule is being enforced all ready here in Germany
and there will be no escape clause for NON-EU-PASSPORT holders
and that is the correct way ,it should be,

You could be wrong Pete :laughing:
there told my an Austrian Driver that Kralowetz opened in Albany a big Transportcompany after closing down in Luxembourg,becouse he get’s there nearly for each Lorry a CEMT.
Don’t know how true it is,but we have to count with it

Do not get confused betweent the Certificate of Professional Competence issued by the RSA… That is indeed still valid for life although many things have changed since I passed both mine in 1984 / 1986 respectively

This is a new refresher course for drivers similar to the FOCA thing in France, unfortunately someone has chosen CPC as a good name for it :confused:

On the job and refresher training can only be a good thing, I have been riding a motorcycle since I was 16, although I only took my bike test in 2001. That instructor taught me how to pass a riding test, at no time did they teach me how to ride a motorcycle.
Last week at Silverstone was part 2 of an advanced training program to teach you the finer points of riding safer and faster. I paid for that myaself because I wanted to improve my riding :exclamation: