How to drive a Tanker correctly?

Hi, im applying for a job on tankers (Class2) - they are non baffled tanks - i’ve heard 1 or 2 tips on how to drive them safer etc…anyone any good advice for a newby to tankers ? Thanks.

What’s going to be in the tank Toby?

Good luck with the job whatever it is!

Alex

I heard somewhere you have to vent em properly when tipping, or you’ll end up with a ‘crushed can’ looking tank, and the inevitable “err boss” phone call :wink:

but I aint no expert.

found this by doing a google search - previous thread on here -

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=282129

might see you down there, was interviewed by Richard today and who knows …

all the best anyway - two weeks training apparently on offer for the successful fifty

I’ve only had the pleasure a handful of times…but f_f’s top tips:

1. When you stop, say at a set of lights, do not release the footbrake immediately after applying the handbrake.
    1. Use the ‘Two T’s’ rule when stopping behind other traffic. (You must be able to see the Tyres on the Tarmac of the vehicle in front.) This is so that when you forget ‘Top Tip 1’) the momentum in the liquid sloshing about behind you won’t shunt you into whatever it is you’ve pulled up behind. :smiley:

Good luck with the job toby. :wink:

Im on liquid tanks all the time ,my tip just keep it smooth as possible and try and judge roundabouts & traffic lights so you dont have to come to a stnd still

mick

Thanks so far, it will be carrying food products. So how do you vent a tank then properley ? are the pumps etc simple enough ?

I’ve got a copy of an article about driving tankers that was published a few years ago. Due to copyright, I can’t put it up on the forums, but if your have Word, I can email it as an attachment.

Shoosh. Don’t tell anyone else. :wink: :wink:

:laughing:

which ever firm you are working for wil
have their way of operating,and a good
firm will teach you the correct way to
operate, depending on what type of
product you will carry, this will detirmine
how the tank-or–container will react.
will the tank have a heating system
if so which type, when carrying products
that react to changes intheir tempreture
ask the following,AT what temp will the
product start to go solid, how high is the
temp allowed to be set onthe heating system,
when driveing all ways use the handbrake
when stopping ,remember that your load will
react when you use the brakes and can
push you forward if you forget to use the handbrake.
drive with extra care in the bends as the load will
shift the balance of the rig and you can --or–do
find yourself doing a rollover,ALL ways even when empty
ensure that all lids or unloading points are closed,
do not rush when working, too much haste
will produce mistakes and accidents,

you will get more tips posted from other memebers later on

Krankee:
I’ve got a copy of an article about driving tankers that was published a few years ago. Due to copyright, I can’t put it up on the forums, but if your have Word, I can email it as an attachment.

Shoosh. Don’t tell anyone else. :wink: :wink:

:laughing:

Cheers, my email is same as my msn address if you click on the link under my profile.