How safe will training be?

Anyone with any sense will understand that a return to driver training carries risk. Apart from proudly owning and running PSTT, I am also partially responsible for National Vocational Driving Instructor Register (NVDIR). In that role, I have compiled a Good Practice Guide for LGV/PCV Trainers relevant to returning to work. This has been done with some input from DVSA who have also given the document it’s support.

The point of this post is twofold. Any customer/potential customer might take heart from all the precautions outlined. (At PSTT we have adopted the document as a minimum standard). Secondly, any trainer (whether connected with NVDIR or not) is welcome to a copy and hopefully it will help.

So anyone, wannabe or trainer, who would like a copy can get one just by sending me a pm enclosing their email. THERE WILL BE NO FOLLOW UP FROM THIS.

I’m hoping that customers will be satisfied that the risk, whilst it cannot be eliminated, has been minimised and also that I might be able to assist other trainers and give some ideas.

Take care, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

The experts say that being in the open means less transmission so …

… roll on cabriolet training cabs :bulb: :wink: :laughing:

I would of thought bus training and testing could’ve still be taken, doesn’t the trainer/examiner sit behind the trainee and my guess is, it could be easily 2m distance. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Im thinking plastic portions inside the cab and masks and daily temp checks of all staff on clients

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

applebygavin:
Im thinking plastic portions inside the cab and masks and daily temp checks of all staff on clients

All 6 of my family had Covid 19 in march but only two had a temperature so that is not a good measure
Also the virus is active for days I think before anyone gets a temp

Hope all was well with them dude during them having it

Temp checks i didn’t actually know that , i was just going off whats been put into my work place and china

Its a tough one as the world still needs to carry on

Cant see a vaccine coming out any time soon either , just safety measures being put into place

Temperature checks are not conclusive - though they are in use in certain places.

Bus training can certainly be easier to manage - but there’s still no test available.

Partitioning the cab has been discussed. I dont favour it as it could restrict physical intervention (very rarely needed but we all know sod’s law).

The whole principle is to apply the given rules with a healthy dose of common sense, all the time giving maximum protection to trainees and staff.

My fear is that some trainers may not try as hard as others. But, hopefully, the guide will help.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Some crazy rules about that you can’t train 1 on 1 in a lorry or bus cab but Dustcarts are still going out fully crewed same with street cleaning vans too.

Surely if 1 to 1 training you would be ok? Mind you we don’t make the rules i suppose

RB84:
Some crazy rules about that you can’t train 1 on 1 in a lorry or bus cab but Dustcarts are still going out fully crewed same with street cleaning vans too.

Surely if 1 to 1 training you would be ok? Mind you we don’t make the rules i suppose

Around here Biffa tend to use the same set of crews to each cab therefore reducing the risk as much as is possible

Surely if 1 to 1 training you would be ok?

Contained in the guidance is the statement that 1:1 is the only ratio that makes sense and that face coverings should be used by both parties (as stated also in government guidance).

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Any idea how soon driver training will be available again? Also is it known if theory examination centres are planning to reopen any time soon?

Thanks, hi :slight_smile:

In my case, training is available now. But, without a test guaranteed, it’s very much up to each person to decide if that’s what they want to do. No-one knows when the theory test centres will be open properly. Let’s hope sooner rather than later.

Peter Smythe:

Surely if 1 to 1 training you would be ok?

Contained in the guidance is the statement that 1:1 is the only ratio that makes sense and that face coverings should be used by both parties (as stated also in government guidance).

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I was led to believe that bus drivers are exempt from wearing face coverings as it can affect the eyesight breathing in your own carbon dioxide. So would think this would be a problem trying to resume tests soon using face coverings as PPE.

Paul

I dont know about that. We’re working happily with face coverings (not masks) and I’ve seen car schools out and about using assorted face coverings including masks.

Peter Smythe:
I dont know about that. We’re working happily with face coverings (not masks) and I’ve seen car schools out and about using assorted face coverings including masks.

There was a bus driver on the news Yesterday who mentioned it, I think it’s called hypoxia it can cause problems for the driver if left on too long.

Paul

There’s no question of face covering being left on for prolonged periods. Tuition that would normally take place at the side of the road now takes place outside the vehicle, socially distanced of course. No face covering required unless in the cab. I would guess it’s highly unlikely anyone would use a face covering for longer than an hour.

I trialled the type we’ve issued to trainers. I used it for just under 2 hours and was fine. It had to come off cos it was dinner time - not because I’d had enough of it.

But I’m prepared to accept that some folk may have an issue with it. I believe it wont be too long before the guidance changes and we can go back to no face coverings. But, in the meantime, the trainer wears face covering to protect the candidate and we expect the candidate to reciprocate. And I think that’s fair.

Hi Pete

I don’t dispute what you say but I was reading a article about bus drivers who are exempt from wearing face coverings as they can steam glasses up.

I wonder if this issue has been thought about in driver training and testing?

Regards

Paul

I wear glasses and, with only one exception in a shop, I have no problems using the neck tube I’ve been experimenting with.

But, IMO, the sooner we can go back to no face covering, the better.

If the social distance law is reduced to 1mtr this week, are your company able to start testing again?

The testing will be down to the government.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk