How often do you wash your lorry?

I thought I’d bump this thread as I’ve broken my own record; Not washed my motor since I started driving it just before the Jubilee.

Have dine mine every day this week as works been a bit quiet.

I don’t, I’m paid to drive it not clean it (or unload it). :smiley:

I’ve not washed mine for a month now; is this disgraceful? :laughing:

we have a contractor who comes in every morning at 6am to wash the trailers…and if we can be bothered, we just drive into a trailer bay and he will wash the unit…he gets paid for each trailer and unit he washes so the more he does, the more he earns. I dont bother a lot now cos i`m part time,and drive a different truck every day, but if one is really dirty…i will get it washed.

Personally I never used to wash the outside of the truck very often, I prefered it looking “worked” as opposed to show condition clean and gleaming. If I got back from Europe when the snow was down then it would get a going over, but, most other times of the year,except for the windows I wouldnt do it unless I really needed to.(or was bollocked for not doing!! :laughing: )

The inside was a different matter as that was where I lived for X amount of days / weeks at a time so that was always kept clean, neat and tidy.

One company I worked for paid a £10 bonus for cleaning your truck on return. we used to use the Getones that we got in Italy as the jet washer at the local Shell station used to except them. :wink:

It’s a legal requirement that after every load of livestock the vehicle is fully wash and disinfected before it’s reloaded with clean modules for the next farm…so if im on locals that can be up to 4 times a day,most days it’s washed twice :wink:

Generally, if I’m doing live birds, about twice a day… And each time I pick up a fridge in winter.

SNAP with washy jnr!

I have to keep the inside of the tipper clean as I do muck and washed aggs, but at the end of the day; I have no aircon, and it’s a dirty job so I’m used to a bit of dust in the cab aswell.

i like to wash dads once a week if i can but lately its been a lot longer lol

i put it through the truck wash as soon as its covered on mud as it keeps vosa off your back it seems they only pull in the dirty 8 wheelers along the a13

I think I’ve done mine about 4 times this year, usually take one of my young uns along too.

The firm pays me £20 for going in on a Saturday to wash it and that pays for the Mcdonalds that I’m forced :laughing: into buying on the way home. :smiley:

Currently on a contract for a company about 2 days a week, they bought some ex Salvesen motors when CS was bought out by ND and they have never, ever been washed since. Got to go round the lights and markers with a watering can and rag, and thats about it. The company wont pay for it to be washed and none of the drivers are going to pay out of their own pockets, and not even a hose in the yard so can’t be done back at base.
Never seen such filthy vehicles, good company to work for though!

Boss once collared me in the yard and the conversation went like this…

Boss…“Your truck is the dirtiest on the fleet,when you going to wash it?”

Me… “When I get time, but I’m going out with another load for you now”

Boss…“Well all the other trucks are clean”

Me…“Shows whos doing the work then doesnt it”

Did the load and went home (It was Friday)…returned to work early Monday morning to find a nice bright shiny truck !!
About 9 am the phone rang…It was the boss…

“I washed your truck over the weekend”

Me…“Cheers”

Boss…“I want you to keep it like that”

Me…“Yeah OK if i get the time !”

From that day on Ive only washed the truck if and only if Ive got time.
Last time I washed it was about 3 weeks ago :wink:

I thought that was what rain was for!. :smiley:

I wash mine once aweek in the summer and everyday in the winter.
Breedy.

Wash mine at least twice a week min. But drive a tipper ad visit landfill daily so it does get hanging. Drives me insane when its filthy. Only been on tippers for few months NOT looking forward to winter!!! AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

Ok got a question for you now.

Those of you that do wash it, when do you do it? Because it must take…what, 30 minutes to an hour to do it properly, possibly longer.

Are you staying at work an hour longer than you normally would? say you get back to the yard at 6pm but choose to stay till 7 and wash it?

I can’t remember the last time I had “free time” where there was no loads say prior to 6pm (I’m a day man normally)
Being agency of course, they’d never pay me that extra hour to stay and wash it, even on a “permanent” contract. So Its a genuine question. I’m not trying to suggest anyone’s washing them on their break etc.

Alex

We take ours out clean. They HAVE to be washed on our return. Unless it’s ■■■■■■■ rain, or pitch black.
Part of our job is image. They want them looked after, which is fair.
At the end of the day, they resell for more, which keeps our fleet modern, I also hate dirt! :sunglasses:

I’ve been known to get back in the yard at 9pm on a friday night in the winter and still be washing down at midnight.