How Much????

How much do you all make a week. Please state the type of hauling you do. Hours miles ect…Thanks. I just thought it might be interesting since i live in the U.S.
:sunglasses:
Mike

Hi Mike
Different companies pay diff pay structures over here, some get payed by the hour, some are on a daily rate were you get payed a set amount no matter how many hours you work, some get payed on the milage they do or the amount of delivieries they do ( which I think but may be wrong, is now illegal as it encourages drivers to speed or work excessive hours), some drivers that travel into Europe get Trip money, that is they are payed a set amount to do the trip no matter how long it takes ( this one can be a bad one espescialy if you get held up with loading, ferry strikes, bad weather or breakdowns), some drivers like myself get payed a salary i.e the same money every week for a set amount of hours.
I’m on a contract that I get £32,000 (thats english pounds not dollars) a year or roughly £600 per week. I do 56 hours maximum and that includes taking the statutary brakes that we have to take in the UK. We average our hours over a 2 week period to 112 hours of duty, so if in week 1 I only do 52 hours the next week the boss can ask me to do 60 hours, but if I only do 50 hours in week 2 (so an average of 102 hours over the 2 week period) they can not expect me to make up the lossed 10 hours in week 3. We average between 1200 and 1500 miles per week, delivering goods from our own manufacturing plant to our own country wide distribution centres and trade shops. On top of the salary we get any expenses for example , being away from home.
Currently though I am off work due to an accident at work and have been now for 6 weeks and it looks like it could be another month before I go back. But as it was an accident at work ( I fell out of the back of the trailer due to a faulty step on the trailer and landed on a concrete kerb on the base of my spine) I still get payed my full salary.
Hope thats given you a little insight as to how we get payed over here, but if you are researching because you are thinking of coming over here then forget it unless you are from one of the eastern countries of europe :wink: :wink: :smiling_imp:

Paul

some get payed on the milage they do or the amount of delivieries they do ( which I think but may be wrong, is now illegal as it encourages drivers to speed or work excessive hours),

It’s legal so long as there’s a guaranteed minimum.

We’re paid predominantly mileage - I’ll translate into US$ for you using current exchange rates:

27ppm (48cpm) for the first 1750 miles
29ppm (52cpm) after that
(Bear in mind that we’re limited to 56mph…a normal week is around 1800 miles in 5 days, although that obviously can vary quite dramatically, and some drivers work Saturday or Sunday too)
£23 tax-free for every night away from home ($40.88)
£10 for every box we reload ($17.78)
£25 a job for really local runs instead of mileage (always works out in our favour) ($44.43)
5% of before tax pay as a bonus - varies, but usually £20-£28 ($35.54-$49.76)

Take home pay - so after tax and National Insurance (NI pays for the Health Service amongst other things, no Health Insurance to pay here) have been taken out -works out at around £450 (£799.76), although you can easily make up to £480 ($853) on a good week.

The take-home above is based on running out Monday and returning Friday, with all day Saturday and Sunday at home.

my take home is £326 for a 55 hour week although we only actually work between 45 and 50 most weeks. i probably average around 1600 kms a week :confused:

the last job i did mike was around £450 in the arse pocket, which included nights out, but i was expected to do maximunm legal hours. spent most of the time dossing, as any container bod will probly confirm!

Usually drivers are paid per hour. Where I live, it’s around £7 for the first 8 hours then £10.50 after that with £20 if you sleep out in the truck plus any parking fees/tolls.

Average week between 50-60hrs.

72 hour week 5 nights otr £480 in the back pocket for me

I currently earn £11.50 p/h mon-fri £14p/h sat £16ph sun average take home pay £600p/w based on a 60 hr week including a sat or sun, a little more if I work yhe weekend and have a day off in the week. :slight_smile:

It depends on what part of UK your based too. I’m from Manchester but now live in London. My last job here in London was for Exel logistics at £11.20ph on Class 2!!! but when i was living in Manchester i didnt even bother doing driving as woud’nt get out of bed for the £6 ph advertised so ended up doing werehouse work instead at L’Oreal at £7.95ph

Hi Big Mike
I work nights, Sunday through Thursday. Originally I was paid a set wage for the job and my job never changes, same crap, different day, :laughing:
I was changed onto hourly rate a couple of years ago and now get paid £10-46 [ approx $17-70] per hour for 43.75 hours a week, every week. That works out at £457 [ $775-00} per week total salary, about £327 [ $555-00] after tax deduction.
Not a fantastic wage and having 4 children I get help from the government, but it keeps the wolf away from the door, the job is an absolute doddle, the hours suit my needs at home…and I still manage to take a vacation in Florida every year. Back over there in 9 weeks, cant wait. :smiley: :smiley:

Stuart

I get a written insult at the end of the month.

im on a salary so every month its £1440 ($2553)in the bank. plus any night out money i acrue during the month paid at £27.50 ($48.76)per night out and any expenses i fork out during that month.

no start times before 4am and its very rare i start before 6am.average about 50 hours a week ,but if i do nights(which we have to on a rolling 6/7 week thing ) its been a bad week if you’ve done more then 40 over 5 days . no weekend work until xmas then thats paid at £100 ($177)per shift.

day work is multi drop (if your on a night out it could be 8/9 dropsdown cornwall, london,norfolk and kent)other then that its brewery trunking and my fav up to livingston with emptys and back loaded.

i just open the curtains and doors and its job done.

jon

Hey all. Thanks for all the imformation. No i dont plan on being a driver over there. Although i think it might be cool to do it for a little while. But i think American truckers have it a little better. Dont worry mate you have to be an East European here too. Well for most companies. I actually saw a job posting on the back of a trailer the other day in Russian. Crazy isnt it. But i think you guys have to worry about them more than us…For now.

But i think American truckers have it a little better

Sadly none of the ones I’ve spoken to (friends, so no need to verbally “inflate” their wages to impress :wink: ) would agree with you. The average driver here is a good $100 minimum better off than his US counterpart, gets home more often, and he doesn’t have to pay health insurance. :wink:

The cost of living seems to work out higher here, that said, so in material terms the US guys are ahead. :cry:

I am working through agencies at the moment so it can vary wildly depending on who I get placed with (or even if I get placed at all)… Last year my best weekly earnings was £700 (before tax) for 52 hours, my worst was £133 for 18.

Hoping to leave the agencies behind this year and get a “proper job” so I will hopefully have more idea when / where I will be working and how much I will be earning… … …

G

Lucy:

But i think American truckers have it a little better

Sadly none of the ones I’ve spoken to (friends, so no need to verbally “inflate” their wages to impress :wink: ) would agree with you. The average driver here is a good $100 minimum better off than his US counterpart, gets home more often, and he doesn’t have to pay health insurance. :wink:

The cost of living seems to work out higher here, that said, so in material terms the US guys are ahead. :cry:

Well that all depends on who you drive for. But when you figure cost of living. A truck that hardly moves(56mph) and your goverment police whatever that seem to like to give you guys a hard time. I would prefer to drive here. But thats me. But i hope you guys make more. The cost of living there is an outrage :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: from what i have heard. It seems like the life, and job there and here is night and day!

Hi Mike, due to the fact that my Boss reads this Forum, I will not disclose my actual take home pay but…

unlike most of the posts on this thread, I ‘do’ purely European work. I am on a salary so get paid the same every week. This is a ‘swings and roundabouts’ scenario… I went away the day after Xmas and was away for 17 days but on coming back, I expected to be home for 7 days (until those damned gallstones and a dodgy gall baldder intervened). I got no extra FOR BEING ON A FRENCH MOTORWAY SERVICES ON NEW YEARS EVE (please note, Boss!!!) but would have got paid for the seven days at home.
I do an average of 4500-5000 kms a week all depending on how quickly I get turned round. I am more than happy with my take home pay for the actual work I do. ie drive down to somewhere in Spain or Portugal, open the doors, go to sleep, drive to reload point, open the doors and go to sleep. Drive back to the UK… all done as quickly as possible legally.

That sounds pretty good Bear. I dont think i would mind that at all.

Hi Big Mike.

I’m an owner drive so My income depends on how much work I do.

Last year I turned over just under 100,000 pounds.(177,000 bucks)

This figure is before I paid any bills or taxes & with diesel costing more than 7 bucks a gallon here it dosn’t leave a lot once you’ve paid for it in a vehicle that averages 7.5 - 8 mpg :cry:

Wow im sure that added up to a lot of miles. My friend Eric is an owner operator. Well here in the U.S. So if you dont mind me asking, about how much after all the things you had to pay for? Most trucks here get from 4 to 8 mpg.