How much notice would you give

i have been with a firm 2weeks but dont like it.should i give them a weeks notice or just ring them and tell them i wont be back.

IMHO I think it is always best to do things properly, your next potential employer may check with your last employer and come to the conclusion that you will just up sticks and leave when you have had enough working for them, this makes life difficult for employers so you will make yourself less attractive to future employers.

i believe you have not been employed long enough for you to give them notice, but, i may be wrong!

paul

For what it’s worth …

i have always given notice & always would if ever i went back to work for somebody.

But … after only 2 weeks, i think if he thought you were unsuitable he would have told you that with no notice, like a “trial” period.

What would i do ■■

If he’s a good bloke, decent boss: Notice

If he’s not: Ring & tell him EHY he doesn’t get a weeks notice.

Just my views :unamused:

(Deleted your double post Toytown… :wink: :wink: AndyM)

leave on good terms and you always have a door open to go back

simon

give him the weeks notice and ask him if he needs you to work it.
as been said already best to leave on good terms

jon

I would give it a bit longer before kicking it,it may work out soon there must have been the incentive to go there for a start ■■

it was only job that had any sort of money going at the time.but i am class1 and having to drive an l reg fl6 rigid and hardly any work for that been reduced to a 7.5tonne heap of crap with no heater.also it is a 96mile round trip per day as the nights out have not materialised +50 in petrol this week just gone.also was not allowed to take lorry home to nr reading for an early start to get into a st off of piccadilly with 10 plts of boxes which i had to help handball.so i had to drive from my house all the way to southampton and drive all the way back past my house to get to w1.it was only tourist brochures and chines freebie calendars.then fri i was not allowed to leave even though there was no work i ended up having to wash the 7.5tonne lorry and one of the office peoples car.
SO NO I DONT THINK I WILL EVER WANT TO GO BACK.

Ive allways given them a week, but, after reading your above post, I have to say it would be a phone call in that case, if only to avoid the near on 100 mile round trip! 2 weeks aint enough to warrant notice I dont think anyway, and it sounds like they aint exactly pushed with work at the moment either?

Mal.

Have you asked him about the possibilty of the work picking up to warrant Class 1, maybe work’s gone slack like most of us. Talk to the guy first, then if you still aint happy, give him a week, to show good faith.

As an Employer I would suggest you consider 1 weeks notice minimum, never burn your bridges, you never know, one day you may just need a job back with them.

the class ones are in the same boat and they want me to stay on the rigid for ever.i reported defects on both lorries but nil been done nothing dangerous but things to make everones life a bit easier.he will only put 1 lightbulb in the rest room and the heating is broke in there but he wont get it fixed so everyone has to freeze except for his office and the tpt office.i have heard 2 other drivers are on the verge of leaving as he dont want to spend any money although he has it.the cleaner cant even get a new mop head out of him even though he has them locked away.i would never ever consider going back to them for a second term.

ON the other hand mate ive just been offered a job and ive taken it

Gave 1 weeks notice on friday and my boss told me to leave today :imp:

I told him no il work my weeks notice thankyou very much but he still

wants me to finish now after seven years cause im going to a rival firm :frowning:

What do i do? Can anyone help me please how do i stand with the law i

need the money three ankle biters at home :smiley:

if he told you to go he must pay you your weeks notice money.that is the law no 2 ways about it.

CPCMAN:
ON the other hand mate ive just been offered a job and ive taken it

Gave 1 weeks notice on friday and my boss told me to leave today :imp:

I told him no il work my weeks notice thankyou very much but he still

wants me to finish now after seven years cause im going to a rival firm :frowning:

What do i do? Can anyone help me please how do i stand with the law i

need the money three ankle biters at home :smiley:

It’s easy, go now and point out to the clause in your Contract of Employment, you are legally required to work 1 weeks notice if he is telling you to go now then he has to pay you one weeks notice.

Take notice of section 14.5 and all of Section 15, but this is a standard contract of employment used by nearly all company’s

We changed this contract from 1 week to 2 weeks to ensure ample notice was given

Below is Taken from My employees contract of Employment:

1. Notice
    14.1 Up to three months of service the employer will give one weeks’ notice to the employee.

14.2 Thereafter the employer will give two weeks notice except in the event of dismissal for gross misconduct whereby the employer has the right to dismiss immediately. Gross misconduct shall be taken to include (but not restricted to) the following:

a) Theft or attempted theft from either the employer or the employer’s clients, customers or any of the employer’s employees.

b) Fraud.

c) Causing malicious injury or maiming to the employer’s clients, customers or employees.

d) Rude offensive and threatening behaviour to the employer’s, clients, customers or employees.

e) Malicious damage to property.

f) Breach of confidentiality.

g) Negligence resulting in serious loss, damage or injury to the employer, the employer’s clients, customers or employees.

h) Serious breaches of Health and Safety regulations.

14.3 The employee shall at all time give two weeks prior notice to the employer if leaving the employment of her own volition.

14.4 Without prejudice to this clause 14 the employer reserves the right to terminate the employment by paying the employee in lieu of notice or any part thereof.

14.5 If the employer requires the employee to remain away from the workplace during the employee’s notice period, the employee will be required to comply with any conditions laid down by the employer and whilst on full pay they will not be permitted to work for any other person, firm client or corporation during that time without the employer’s permission.

1. Restrictive Covenants
    15.1 The employee shall not during the period of employment or after her employment has terminated use or disclose or permit to be disclosed without the prior consent of the employer any confidential information, trade secrets or proprietary data concerning the practice, business dealings or affairs of the employer or any of the employer’s clients which may come to her knowledge by reason of his employment.

a) Confidential information or trade secrets shall consist of but not necessarily be limited to: Technical, commercial, financial, operational, marketing or promotional information.

b) Proprietary data shall consist of but not necessarily be limited to: Customer lists, pricing data, sources of supply, financial, production or marketing data or merchandising systems and plans.

15.2 The employee shall not during the period of her employment without the previous consent of the employer engage in any other employment whether directly or indirectly as an employee partner or agent which is in the business or practise of importation or in any employment related to such business or practise.

15.3 The employee shall not on her own behalf or as the employee, or agent of any other persons for the period of 12 months following the date of termination of her employment hereunder:

a) Practice as or do the work of an Importer in any place within 20 miles of any of the employer’s offices.

b) Offer employment or seek to entice away any employee of the employer from the employment of the employer.

c) Solicit within England instructions from any persons, employer or corporation who are or were a client of the employer during the period of 5 Years prior to the termination of the employee’s employment by the employer.

15.4 The employee shall not for a period of twelve months following the termination of her employment, howsoever arising, enter in to partnership, employment or other arrangements for provision of services as an Importer or wholesaler with any person who was in the six months prior to such termination in the employ of the employer.

15.5 Reference to clients in this clause 15 shall not include any relative of the employee or any company wholly controlled by such relative or any person who was a personal friend of the employee prior to the commencement of the employment hereunder or any company, employer or corporation wholly controlled by such a personal friend.

15.6 The employee acknowledges that any breach or violation of this Agreement is likely to cause loss or damage to the employer and in that event the employer shall be entitled to apply for injunctive relief or claim damages in addition to any other available remedies.

Notice period

The required statutory notice is one week if the employee has been employed for one month but less than two years, two weeks for two years, three weeks for three years and so on up to 12 years. After 12 years’ service the period of notice required is 12 weeks. The employee may be entitled to longer notice under the contract of employment. If a business is transferred from one person to another, the period of employment of an employee in the business at the time of the transfer counts as a period of employment with the transferee and does not break the continuity of the period of employment.
courtesy of employers-solicitors.co.uk/c … ation2.htm

also i have not seen or signed a contract of employment or been told about any trial period

neil46:
also i have not seen or signed a contract of employment or been told about any trial period

Not a lot you can do Neil, your obliged to recieve a contract within 1 month but thats all, no contract then you cant argue.

By accepting the job on the terms discussed at the interview this is your contract of employment.
I would give a weeks notice, but after 2 weeks he might just let you go.

jimti:
IMHO I think it is always best to do things properly, your next potential employer may check with your last employer and come to the conclusion that you will just up sticks and leave when you have had enough working for them, this makes life difficult for employers so you will make yourself less attractive to future employers.

seems my advice is a bit wrong, as you have not been employed for a month, you may not need to give any notice, but it still makes sense to offer him a bit of notice just so that potential employers asking for references don’t get a bad impression of you