How much are petrol tanker drivers paid

Considering doing my ADR in the future, is it true petrol tanker drivers can earn 50-60k

Possibly, but you need your PDP too.

They are paid far better than average however obtaining an ADR certainly does not guarantee you work.

They are paid quite well, but some of the shift patterns i would not contemplate for the money they are on, there are better packages to be found.

Think 35-45 k maybe a more realistic estimate as well

Years back when tankers where run in house by the Petrol Companies they where on fantastic money,but I believe things changed to third party operators.
Need I say anymore if I mention Wincanton Hoyer DHL Stobarts, not sure if the last strike they had led by Red Len McCluskey made a difference, only the guys there can give an honest answer. 40-45K seems about right but I think its shifts

To much,seeing the standard of a lot of the drivers

not enough,

My mate has PDP and is on £18/hr easy work.

It depends on where you’re based, and the type of work you do. I’m based in the north west, so I’ll give you examples from here.
Companies doing retail work tend to pay more, and £50k a year is a realistic salary. These jobs usually have ‘worse’ shift patterns (normally 4 on 4 off, week of days then week of nights).
Companies doing commercial work usually pay less, about £40k p/a, but tend to do Monday to Friday.
Most companies will need you to have ADR experience, as well as tanker driving experience before they will consider putting you through your PDP (you can put yourself through the pdp theory, but need a company to put you through the practical).
Hoyer will take on drivers without ADR or PDP, and they pay £15.50 p/h, but they only guarantee about 30 hours a week, so salary is about 30k a year before overtime. Their shift pattern is rubbish, a few days then a few off followed by a few nights.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info guys. It seems the shift patterns may have put me off the idea. Well any idea regarding ADR really as any other ADR type work doesn’t really pay much more than general haulage. So not worth doing imo. I’ll stick to bulk tipping for now until I consider other ideas… I find those rather large dumper trucks in the quarries quite appealing

Jasesonix:
Thanks for the info guys. It seems the shift patterns may have put me off the idea. Well any idea regarding ADR really as any other ADR type work doesn’t really pay much more than general haulage. So not worth doing imo. I’ll stick to bulk tipping for now until I consider other ideas… I find those rather large dumper trucks in the quarries quite appealing

Because ADR is not a niche any longer, that’s why. Sone elements of it are still but those are rare and it’s those elements that pay.

Friend of mine works for Hoyer out of Kingsbury he’s on £18 something per hour he absolutely hates it as the shift pattern he is on is called the marriage wrecker, he gets 36 hours a week & then does overtime, he’s earning £45k but his marriage is on the rocks & he doesn’t go out on weekends anymore. Last time we spoke he was quitting Hoyer & paying back the training costs & then going to Tesco on a fixed shift to save his marriage he also says the money is roughly the same.

One of my mates works for Hoyer out of Grangemouth. He absolutely loves it but he is a single bloke.
I am just glad when I drove them it was all day work and a better rate compared to others than it is now. :smiley:

I know someone who was on about £15 an hour two years ago but he only lasted 6 months as he was run ragged and his shift patterns were all over the place !!

Yeh it’s fine earning 45k but to me not worth disliking my job for it. I’d rather be happy than earning more… Though would be happy if I was earning more… Lol

Wages for fuel work has stagnated, even dropped over the last 10 years or so, while other work has started to drastically improve pay. General retail work is starting to spike to the point you can earn just as much working for Asda, B&M, Aldi etc as you can on fuel.
Fuel work used to be the best paying job on the road, long before my time, just keeping my fingers crossed it picks up again in the 30 odd years before I retire!

CookieMonster:
Wages for fuel work has stagnated, even dropped over the last 10 years or so, while other work has started to drastically improve pay. General retail work is starting to spike to the point you can earn just as much working for Asda, B&M, Aldi etc as you can on fuel.
Fuel work used to be the best paying job on the road, long before my time, just keeping my fingers crossed it picks up again in the 30 odd years before I retire!

80’s was mega. :smiley: