How much are petrol tanker drivers paid

CookieMonster:
Wages for fuel work has stagnated, even dropped over the last 10 years or so, while other work has started to drastically improve pay. General retail work is starting to spike to the point you can earn just as much working for Asda, B&M, Aldi etc as you can on fuel.
Fuel work used to be the best paying job on the road, long before my time, just keeping my fingers crossed it picks up again in the 30 odd years before I retire!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I assure you it wont improve over the years mate. once it was put out to tender in the mid 80’s it’s gone down hill especially where t&c’s are concerned.
the union was very prominent year’s ago not so nowadays, even having said that it is well paid in comparison to general etc.but the shift systems are atrocious . the days of job and knock are well gone… :frowning:

jakethesnake:

CookieMonster:
Wages for fuel work has stagnated, even dropped over the last 10 years or so, while other work has started to drastically improve pay. General retail work is starting to spike to the point you can earn just as much working for Asda, B&M, Aldi etc as you can on fuel.
Fuel work used to be the best paying job on the road, long before my time, just keeping my fingers crossed it picks up again in the 30 odd years before I retire!

80’s was mega. :smiley:

My step-grandad used to work for Shell and he was on better money than I am now! He used to get about 50k. When my stepdad first started working, he showed his dad his first paycheck, his dad just laughed and said ‘bloody hell son, I pay more tax than your top line!’.
Not only was he well paid, but because he died while still employed, his wife was able to get 50 percent of his pension, so she got about 1500 a month from his death in 1991 until she died a few years ago!

m.a.n rules:

CookieMonster:

the days of job and knock are well gone… :frowning:

Which begs the question , why are they (and they ain’t alone by a long chalk) still running around like their arse is on fire?

m.a.n rules:

CookieMonster:

I assure you it wont improve over the years mate. once it was put out to tender in the mid 80’s it’s gone down hill especially where t&c’s are concerned.
the union was very prominent year’s ago not so nowadays, even having said that it is well paid in comparison to general etc.but the shift systems are atrocious . the days of job and knock are well gone… :frowning:

I know it won’t get back to where it used to be, as long as it improves a bit I’ll be happy though!
I can’t complain too much though, I do Monday to Friday at the minute, but changing to 4on 4off in a few weeks so I can get more overtime in.
My company don’t pay the best (salaries at about 40k for 48hours a week), but it is job and knock so I usually only do 38-42 hours

Juddian:

m.a.n rules:

CookieMonster:

the days of job and knock are well gone… :frowning:

Which begs the question , why are they (and they ain’t alone by a long chalk) still running around like their arse is on fire?

Because most of them are salaried or on a flat day rate! And they need to get back to bed so they can wake up to start at 2am the following day!

i could never understand why some started so early . i used to work at the Ipswich Vopak fuel terminal [now all gone] and a few turned up in the early hours to fill up their tanks on their own always looked a bit risky whereas in the regular hours the terminal staff [who never worked nights] used to do it all for them. There was one nighttime driver was a moody sod i allus wanted to sound the main alarm siren when he was filling up and shout over to him "shes gonna blowww! " just to see him run

cookie, the only way it could get better is down to the driver’s themselves. I done 9 years on tanks during the transition from direct to subbie when it was job and knock, then it started to get computerised and they started to use the matrix system (timed runs) typically some idiots were knocking the time given for a set run outer space and thus totally ■■■■■■ the job up… :unamused:

and juddian that is why they race around. they’re still ■■■■■■■ the job up. :unamused:

also cookie in ref to your step grandad I know what you mean, when the transition happened to the shell drivers at kingsbury some of the older drivers opted to have their contracts bought off them and retire. I could quote figures on here but nobody would belive me. :exclamation:

In the 80’s it wasn’t just fuel tanker drivers on mega wages; the tanker drivers on the ICI fleet earned staggering amounts (Dieseldave will confirm this), their top lines back then would still shame my current top line for them doing a ■■■■ sight less work than I do now!

CookieMonster:

I would say Retail work has stagnated as well I can remember 10-15 years ago it being fairly common to be on 50k at Tesco (with overtime etc).

They ain’t on that now.

Next are another one where drivers were earning a fortune sharing warehouse workers terms that has been dragged right back to limit their drivers earnings

the maoster:
In the 80’s it wasn’t just fuel tanker drivers on mega wages; the tanker drivers on the ICI fleet earned staggering amounts (Dieseldave will confirm this), their top lines back then would still shame my current top line for them doing a ■■■■ sight less work than I do now!

My Dad finished at ICI in 1990 when it went out to contract, I remember what he earned in his last year there, I equaled it 28 years later. He was no where near the highest earner either.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

CookieMonster:

m.a.n rules:

CookieMonster:

I know it won’t get back to where it used to be, as long as it improves a bit I’ll be happy though!
I can’t complain too much though, I do Monday to Friday at the minute, but changing to 4on 4off in a few weeks so I can get more overtime in.
My company don’t pay the best (salaries at about 40k for 48hours a week), but it is job and knock so I usually only do 38-42 hours

Sorry but what’s job n knock??

Jasesonix:

CookieMonster:

m.a.n rules:

CookieMonster:

Sorry but what’s job n knock??

Job and knock is basically ‘there’s your work, once you’ve done that, you’re done’. No ringing the office or them ringing you for more work. Works out great for me because I’m salaried for 10 hours but most nights I do between 7-9. Most weeks I’ll even have a day where I don’t even do 6 hours, but still get a full days pay and they can’t make me do any more work

We were on job and finish in the 80’s. Start at 6 or 7 depending on where you were going.
Finished by one or two most days with occasional longer days (made worthwhile) and a few shorter one too. Happy Days.
Only downside for some was driving in London.

CookieMonster:
Hoyer will take on drivers without ADR or PDP, and they pay £15.50 p/h, but they only guarantee about 30 hours a week, so salary is about 30k a year before overtime. Their shift pattern is rubbish, a few days then a few off followed by a few nights.

That works out at a tad over 24K. You’d need about 37 hours to get that much. Is that more like it or do you get bonuses on top or something? Thanks

The local tanker haulier ( beer ) are advertising , £600-£1,000 per week , lad I worked with this week said £1,000 was possible
It amazes me as my ex,s dad worked for these 30 yrs ago & he said if it wasn’t for his mrs job theyd be living in a 2 up / 2 down
But to get to
£1,000 I guess it would be every hour , sat /sun , extra shifts etc

iy67:

CookieMonster:
Hoyer will take on drivers without ADR or PDP, and they pay £15.50 p/h, but they only guarantee about 30 hours a week, so salary is about 30k a year before overtime. Their shift pattern is rubbish, a few days then a few off followed by a few nights.

That works out at a tad over 24K. You’d need about 37 hours to get that much. Is that more like it or do you get bonuses on top or something? Thanks

When I had an interview with them, they said it was about 27k a year, but they guarantee 30k. They said if you earned less than the 30k then you would get a lump sum payment at the end of the year to make up the difference

Well, if there is any truth in what you guys are saying the job has gone even further down hill than what I have been led to believe.

London 2019 £13.75 an hour . Not paid for tacho breaks. Plenty of ADR drivers out there with German or French ADR which count the same as a UK one. Plus nasty fumes. Plus an element of danger as in potential hijacking or theft. Been there done that never going back.

There are no in house tanker jobs now, it’s all gone out to contractors who are pushing rates down by giving starry eyed young guns jobs paying £10-12 an hour in Grangemouth (stobarts, turner’s etc) it’ll never be the job it once was, the glory days have gone.

I don’t understand this firm mentality that makes it such rotten shift patterns, when surely it won’t be saving them any cash having their drivers work all over the place at stupid O’clock?

As someone who doesn’t mind the occasional 15 hour shift, goes out of their way to get nights and weekend work - I would have expected “daft” shift patterns - to suit. BUT I’m chasing the MONEY here, and want to NOT be moved about all over the place. If I’m on a 22:00 start time - then I am looking to be on that all week, rather than 22:00, a day off, then early doors (which I hate)

Another thing that has me scratching my head is both the Job & KNock culture, that has certain firms’ drivers overtaking you on roundabouts, they are in such a rush… and firms that will bend over backwards NOT to let their drivers make any time anywhere. “You get back early, you sit in the cooler until it is your official time to go home.”

Once again, - THe firm doesn’t save money, nor make any extra out of such practices - so WHY BOTHER?