How many posts

To be fair it all pales into insignificance v the civil war that erupted between gingerfold’s followers and me for daring to suggest that Leylands problems were in large part caused by the failings of AEC’s designers not the workers.

The functionality is all there.

Personally I think a seamless transition would have been better, where there was no down time. If I didn’t have a link on my homepage to regularly visited sites, I probably wouldn’t have kept clicking to check if the new forum was there. It will probably take old members being very bored one day to actually make them summon up the necessary willpower to set a new password and log in again.

Last time I posted on here was what?.. a week ago?

Just looking now, not much has changed since my o/p on this subject.
Also a lot, or at least a few, of the ‘characters’ and/or more regular posters sem to have disappeared.
(Incidentally what I find more strange is that there appears to be more ‘traffic’ on the Old Timer’s Forum than any of the others, rather than among the younger and who you would think would be more ‘tech aware’ types…but there ya go.)

It gives me no pleasure to state the bleeding obvious, …
Not only is the forum not a tenth as popular as it was, but it has all the hallmarks of it dying a death, ONLY because of the way it has been changed,… and despite the usual one or two optimists doing their best to make the best of it and put a positive spin on it…,.(a bit like passengers on The Titanic collecting ice off the deck to put in their last drinks.)

Those of us who (used to) enjoy, and who still care about the site need to face up to the fact it is terminally… ‘rubber ducked’.
But more importantly those who are in charge and have a big say should be on ‘salvage and damage limitation duty’ before it croaks.

1 Like

I hear what you are saying, but it is getting slightly better, little by little. One example is when editing a post. A week or so ago it didn’t happen for several minutes and I at first thought it wasn’t working, but now it is instantaneous, as it should be.

I have a slight advantage over some of you because a forum I use in France is based on the same platform so it was easier fo me to get the hang of it. But it isn’t exactly the same so I still am finding my way around but at least I know that it can get better, only question is will it and when. Depends on the tweakers I suppose.

Ok fair enough, but my point is by the time it DOES ‘get better’ (or more like IF it does) the damage has been done, everybody or most, will have just effed off.

And even if it does not indeed die, after the characters and the more prolific posters have gone it will maybe even just consist of the boring repetitive ‘Which sat nav/What are Stobbies like to work for’’ type posts and maybe even just the certain ‘type’ of ‘drivers’ we see everyday will contribute…that will be fun eh?..‘What are the most hours I can work in a week’ ‘Why are a lot of other drivers blasting their horns and shouting abuse at me’, ‘How far can I go over my time to reach a lay by to park to have my 8.59 hours off’…you get my drift.:smiley:
Or am I just being pessimistic… (or real).
Anyhoo…who knows, or even who cares :smiley: lets just w&s.

It seems to have very few people posting and the ones that are seem to be the same people
No comments from the people who monitor it
It would be interesting to see how many clicks they get a day without people logging in
I think it needs something to boost it i don’t know what but something
It’s a good site for information and knowledge with some great stories being told
It can be hard to navigate the site

Members can read and post to threads, I don’t actually see the issue.

Edit: Maybe it is because Sploomy isn’t here?

Ok…if you can’t see the issue, rock on, good for you.
My point is that it would appear that many actually DO see the issue, illustrated by the amount of members who have appeared to drop out, the reduction in post count, and the apparent lack of interest…and yeah, including Sploomy it seems.
(But there is always a positive in every negative😄)

Go on then…

What reduction has there been?

Nice to see you taking an interest in stats by the way. :grinning:

1 Like

I doubt that it’s that much quieter now than it was before it shutdown before Christmas, given how long the board was offline and the fact that for most people it’s now unfamiliar software it’s bound to take a while to build up again but it does seem to be slowly getting better.

1 Like

Such is life…
A few months ago there were loads of moans because the hamster running in the big wheel that powers TNUK was going too slow.
Now we have a new, stronger hamster, but his eyes are the wrong colour!

I would agree with tachograph. I suppose it was a bit of a perfect storm, what with the slow forum, offline time and then the new format.

I only dip in anyway, and don’t get bogged down with the multi-page waffle type threads anyway, so don’t feel that I’m missing much.

It is what it is. If you get something out of it great, if not then you can do something else.

@Frangers…Ok mate fair enough.
Nice to see you still have yer Covid mask over yer eyes.
Ok you win, the forum is much better, everyone thinks its a vast inprovement on the old one, nobody has left, we are getting more than ever posts, and everything in the world is lovely.

Did I say that any of that?
No.

Are there more or less posters here now than when the old site was running slow?
I don’t know. Do you?

Oh! And well done!

Nice to see you getting your Covid references shoehorned in everywhere!

No but you questioned the fact that there is a reduction in posts, when there clearly is…presumably just to start another argument…(and dont do your usual predictable thing of reminding me the purpose of a forum…pleeeease. :roll_eyes:)

As for shoehorning in Covid…at least it saved you a job, so lets go for the trilogy of your obsessions, Brexit and Boris.
There ya go hows that for shoehorning.
:joy::joy:

I`m pretty sure that the Admin would have figures for number of visits and posts etc.
I’d guess it is available to advertisers etc; but to all us nosey buggers, I don’t know.

It certainly seems quieter than a year or two ago, IMHO.
But is it really that much different than when it was stuttering and running slowly?
I wouldn’t guess.

Seems to me it is easy to drive regular members off, but it will take longer to bring them back as they will have found other sites etc.

Just noticed another thread by ‘Buzzer’ on the Old timers forum.
This guy has provided 100s of intetesting posts, photos, and memories over the years.
He too is on a downer with this forum, which is just another example of my points made.

When guys like him are walking it says it all.
I aint gloating saying all this stuff, I’m merely pointing it out, I would much rather see the forum bring successful as before.

There are plenty of different types of websites some for selling and buying some for information lots of different ones
This website is mostly looking to create content share memory’s tell a story answer a question share experience and help others.
It’s not good for a website like this type to be loseing long servicing members its not like you can advertise a sale to get new members to sign up,
The wealth of knowledge memory’s stories and pictures is priceless on the old timers pages to people who like that, very hard to replace that iv spend hours reading stuff and some of them should have made a living from writing
Let’s hope it picks up and people start posting again, at the moment it’s mostly a few of the same posters taking amongst themselves about nothing thats interesting enough to get other people involved
The only people to keep happy is the people who own the site and if that depends on posting then they can’t be happy
Time and change is a ■■■■■, it’s one or the other

Sadly robroy appears to be stating the truth, there’s nothing positive worth mentioning about the new format and the whole thing is dying a slow death. My attention to TN is down to less than a few minutes every so often (1-2 times a week), rather than several times a day, and I suspect that this view is reflected by the majority of people who used to frequent the old format

1 Like

Nice to see a fellow realist mate with his eyes open saying it like it is,…a change from the ostriches and/or those who readily believe what they are told/led to believe, or want to believe.
Yeah…it’s blindingly obvious the forum aint what it was.

I am sure a lot of guys do actually find this site easy…even better, but judging by the traffic, comments on other similar threads, and those who are no longer with us, tells me they are in a minority.

Like you I spend a quarter of the time I used to on here, if I get an e.mail to say my comments have been answered, or if I find myself at a loose end.
I aint minced off in a strop, and in a strange sort of way I’m reluctantly getting used to it…but in the same way you get used to toothache.:grin: