How many of you could do this

robroy:

jakethesnake:

robroy:

jakethesnake:
Ha, DD another so called proper driver that does not know. :unamused: TBH I was only asking RR.
Can you guys not read. [emoji38]

Didnā€™t double de.clutch?

Nope, a common bad habit for learners and experienced drivers (the young lad can be excused) Looking down at the gearstick whilst changing gear! Not wise. :wink:

:open_mouth: Seriously Jake? :unamused:
Thatā€™s a bit like criticising a parrot for not being grammatically accurate, ā€¦heā€™s a 10 yr old kid man. :neutral_face:

Aye.
The size of the lad he couldnā€™t get his head high enough to look out the screen whilst moving the gearstick!

robroy:

jakethesnake:

robroy:

jakethesnake:
Ha, DD another so called proper driver that does not know. :unamused: TBH I was only asking RR.
Can you guys not read. :laughing:

Nope, a common bad habit for learners and experienced drivers (the young lad can be excused) Looking down at the gearstick whilst changing gear! Not wise. :wink:

:open_mouth: Seriously Jake? :unamused:
Thatā€™s a bit like criticising a parrot for not being grammatically accurate, ā€¦heā€™s a 10 yr old kid man. :neutral_face:

And you accuse me of not reading correctly. :open_mouth:

the young lad can be excused

[quote=ā€œjakethesnakeā€

jakethesnake:

robroy:

jakethesnake:

And you accuse me of not reading correctly. :open_mouth:

[/quote]
So could the parrot
But I would not have pointed it out as a criticism. :wink: :laughing:

Anyone who has driven Eaton Twin Split, myself included, should be able to do this. I managed to get a DAF with Eaton Twin Split with a knackered clutch cylinder all the way from Ferrybridge to a paint factory near Newcastle, tip the load and get it back to the BRS depot in Hull. Had to use starter motor to get it going when I was unlucky enough to get stopped at traffic lights but managed it without much issue.

Conor:
Anyone who has driven Eaton Twin Split, myself included, should be able to do this. I managed to get a DAF with Eaton Twin Split with a knackered clutch cylinder all the way from Ferrybridge to a paint factory near Newcastle, tip the load and get it back to the BRS depot in Hull. Had to use starter motor to get it going when I was unlucky enough to get stopped at traffic lights but managed it without much issue.

Tbh I never knew DAFs were fitted with them, the only ones I had was the 2200 with the crash box, the 2800 with the Fuller,.and the 3300 and 95 with the ZF synchro.
I never liked the Eaton TS, not because I couldnā€™t use it, I could, itā€™s just that I found it a backward step from the 13 or 18 spd Eaton Fuller.
It got to the stage with them that I got so used to that box, the only time I used the clutch was setting off from a start.
I too had to bring my ERF back with the same problem from S.Wales to Carlisle, so had to make sure I took my break on a slope :smiley: ā€¦ in case the starter was taking too much stick.

jakethesnake:

robroy:

jakethesnake:

To be fair relative to him that gearstick is a mile away.The clue is that he isnā€™t also looking down at the pedals.So two bits of advice donā€™t release the accelerator during upshifts just lift it enough to match the revs and find the gear stick without having to look for it possibly telling him to look in the offside mirror during each shift so he has to find it instinctively.Heā€™s still already ahead of the average Brit new driver whoā€™s scared of driving a proper turck.

I donā€™t think it was that model daf rr .it was the early Leyland daf and it never worked well cause of the stick configuration compared to the m.a.n and e r f installationā€¦

m.a.n rules:
I donā€™t think it was that model daf rr .it was the early Leyland daf and it never worked well cause of the stick configuration compared to the m.a.n and e r f installationā€¦

Ah right, you mean the DAF badged Leyland cab type?
Never had a one of those.

robroy:

Conor:

Tbh I never knew DAFs were fitted with them, the only ones I had was the 2200 with the crash box, the 2800 with the Fuller,.and the 3300 and 95 with the ZF synchro.
I never liked the Eaton TS, not because I couldnā€™t use it, I could, itā€™s just that I found it a backward step from the 13 or 18 spd Eaton Fuller.
It got to the stage with them that I got so used to that box, the only time I used the clutch was setting off from a start.
I too had to bring my ERF back with the same problem from S.Wales to Carlisle, so had to make sure I took my break on a slope :smiley: ā€¦ in case the starter was taking too much stick.

Constant mesh not crash to be picky :wink:

the only time I used the clutch was setting off from a start.

Yep, thats the way a proper driver used one! Brilliant box when used properly. Never knew Dafā€™s had them either. Usually ERFā€™s for me and an old MAN which model I cant remember.

jakethesnake:

Yep, thats the way a proper driver used one! Brilliant box when used properly. Never knew Dafā€™s had them either. Usually ERFā€™s for me and an old MAN which model I cant remember.

the m.a.n model was the f90 which I done 400k in one and never murmured apart from a starter motor

Eaton Twin Splitter was designed for clutchless gear changing so no great shakes it worked like that, the others werenā€™t but with practice could be made to work well.

Juddian:
Eaton Twin Splitter was designed for clutchless gear changing so no great shakes it worked like that, the others werenā€™t but with practice could be made to work well.

totally agree, but until or if ever you became at one with all the feelings of each individual unit it never worked.
I wonder if that is why we call them she / herā€¦ I wonderā€¦ :wink: :smiley:

m.a.n rules:

jakethesnake:

the m.a.n model was the f90 which I done 400k in one and never murmured apart from a starter motor

Yeah, I only drove it for about a week. All I remember was it was a V reg(79-80) and a purple colour. :laughing:

jakethesnake:

m.a.n rules:

jakethesnake:

Yeah, I only drove it for about a week. All I remember was it was a V reg(79-80) and a purple colour. :laughing:

Apologies if Iā€™ve read wrong :unamused: but you wouldnt be driving a twin splitter until at least 1986 ish iirc :wink:

Punchy Dan:

jakethesnake:

m.a.n rules:

jakethesnake:

Apologies if Iā€™ve read wrong :unamused: but you wouldnt be driving a twin splitter unit at least 1986 ish iirc :wink:

beat me to it dan, mine was brand spanking on the E plate. 1987 to you young pupsā€¦

m.a.n rules:

Juddian:

totally agree, but until or if ever you became at one with all the feelings of each individual unit it never worked.
I wonder if that is why we call them she / herā€¦ I wonderā€¦ :wink: :smiley:

There is something quite personal about gelling with your lorry, getting the best from, caring cleaning maintaining and protecting it because yes it does become a relationship, and yes little wonder they became she for so many of usā€¦nothing deviant or such as some posters here might suggest :unamused: ā€¦i still get that now, learn your motor and you feel at one with her and know every single idiosyncrasy she has.

True too how different an otherwise identical fleet can be, no two lorries behave or perform exactly the same especially those vehicles which have regular drivers could be so different they could have been different makes entirely, the ones that were cared for always drove better and by cared for i donā€™t mean driven slowly but driving with mechanical sympathy as we all know can lead to faster journey times whilst halving the stress on the vehicle plus better fuel mileage to boot, then watch how some drivers straddle pot holes or go gently over speed humps whilst others donā€™t even see them and put the whole lorry through them at speed, little wonder the properly driven motors arnā€™t falling apart by year 2.

Notice too how in proper workshops the mechanics can tell which motors are cared for, and at least in my experience look after them that bit better too.

Regarding MANā€™s with ETS, yes MAN F90 ETS fitted from 86, one of the best TS fitments of all, that fast revving engine could have been made for the box, one of the best drivers lorries ever made.

Punchy Dan:

jakethesnake:

m.a.n rules:

jakethesnake:

Apologies if Iā€™ve read wrong :unamused: but you wouldnt be driving a twin splitter until at least 1986 ish iirc :wink:

No, you ainā€™t read it wrong. I was sure it was a V reg but I must have been mistaken. :blush:

No worries snake Iā€™ve seen plenty of drivers that canā€™t tell one splitter from another :wink:

Punchy Dan:
No worries snake Iā€™ve seen plenty of drivers that canā€™t tell one splitter from another :wink:

Or idiots on the the internet who couldnā€™t tell their arse from their elbow.