How long is your trunk?

there cant be many trunks on the go that you have a 9 hour kip in the middle of them?

With this and the Captains other thread about tramping maybe we could all agree what is “Tramping” and “Tramping”.
Or maybe all argue and shout about it.
Anyway seems to me a “Trunk” run should be a run that is there n back in a shift, with no nights out.
“Tramping” involves nights out and loading to and from more than one destination.
“Long Distance” is doing nights out and includes Tramping but may only be from home depot to one other and then return.
I`m sure some will disagree however.

Reminds me of that Calvin Harris song… How long is your trunk! So tell me how long is your trunk can it go longer? :laughing:

Franglais:
With this and the Captains other thread about tramping maybe we could all agree what is “Tramping” and “Tramping”.
Anyway seems to me a “Trunk” run should be a run that is there n back in a shift, with no nights out.
“Tramping” involves nights out and loading to and from more than one destination.
“Long Distance” is doing nights out and includes Tramping but may only be from home depot to one other and then return.

How do you make trunking having to only be one shift.IE Northampton-Milan-Northampton isn’t tramping.It’s just long distance international trunking.Even if it involves more than one depot.In just the same way that Feltham-Luton-Dewsbury-Luton-Feltham is a trunk run even if you run out of driving time on the way back and have to book a daily rest period.

In just the same way that London-Shanghai-London was a clipper ship operation not a tramp ship one. :bulb:

The longest we do regularly at our place is a little over 500k’s and involves no motorways. Enough for me thanks!

Carryfast:

Franglais:

How do you make trunking having to only be one shift.IE Northampton-Milan-Northampton isn’t tramping.It’s just long distance international trunking.Even if it involves more than one depot.In just the same way that Feltham-Luton-Dewsbury-Luton-Feltham is a trunk run even if you run out of driving time on the way back and have to book a daily rest period.

In just the same way that London-Shanghai-London was a clipper ship operation not a tramp ship one. :bulb:

I would have thought Northampton-Milan-Northampton is definitely long distance, but Id say not trunking. Ive always thought Trunking to involve no nights out. Maybe I`m in a gang of one on this tho?

Franglais:

Carryfast:

Franglais:

I would have thought Northampton-Milan-Northampton is definitely long distance, but Id say not trunking. Ive always thought Trunking to involve no nights out. Maybe I`m in a gang of one on this tho?

It certainly isn’t tramping.On that note the usual term within that environment is the transatlantic term line haul operations which in reality is just trunking.In which case as I said there’s not much difference between running from Feltham-Luton-Dewsbury return and possibly running out of driving time than Northampton-Milan return.Both being technically line haul/trunk runs. :bulb:

I live in Plymouth and spent some months doing a trunk once a week from Plymouth dockyard to Rosyth naval base in Scotland… would tip there Tuesdays and backload stuff till I got back home Friday.

3 of our lads run willenhall-Gretna-willenhall every night just over 4 hours each way,except on Friday when it’s 6hours to Gretna as they don’t leave till 3pm.

Franglais:

Carryfast:

Franglais:

+1…day trunk…night trunk…theres your sign…trunk…back in 1 shift,then go home before doing it the next night again,and again,and again…

Trunk, to me is a run contracted to go at a certain time on fixed dates, to the same destination(s) Murfitts had a contract from Amsterdam to Rome that left every day at 4pm- hardly a one shift run… but still a trunk.

Another Murfitts trunk was Denso Leeds to Turin - left every two days from Leeds, I did it once in an 18 metre drawbar, with 2 2foot x2 foot boxes as my complete load , but the contract was that a drawbar would run at that time and that day to that destination on a regular fixed basis so it went near as ■■■■ empty. another more than one shift run but still a trunk.

Trunk to me is not length or time but a ongoing fixed route run at set times on set days

Well, I think Ive got Diesel Dog agreeing with my definition, but it seems to be a minority view. So, I just have to accept that on this occasion we failed to educate the majority of you to the truth... Maybe tis my failing that youre all wrong, sorry, but I dont feel strong enough to argue with both Ricky and Carryfast.

dieseldog999:

Franglais:
Ive always thought Trunking to involve no nights out. Maybe Im in a gang of one on this tho?

+1…day trunk…night trunk…theres your sign…trunk…back in 1 shift,then go home before doing it the next night again,and again,and again…

Day or night is a red herring.IE you can run the same trunk runs as day runs or night runs and it makes no difference whether they are long enough to need a daily rest period/s between departure and destination point and whether those daily rest period/s have to be taken during the day or night.

For me trunking has always meant a regular run to the same place every time, if you do one round trip a day or it takes multiple days to get there and back, it’s still a trunk.

If you do more than one round trip in a shift, then it’s a shunt.

newmercman:

We just called those double trunk runs which on job and finish sometimes meant some over time. :bulb: :smiley:

Sorry CF, delusions of grandeur my old son, you were shunting.

newmercman:
Sorry CF, delusions of grandeur my old son, you were shunting.

Let’s just say if they said double Bristol tonight because we’ve got too much for one trailer that meant a few extra quid in the bank.While a single meant a nice early shift.I couldn’t care less whether either was a trunk or a shunt in that case all I knew it was a win win for me. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

While I’d guess that shunting if not moving trailers in the depot meant lots of short distance runs in a shift which maybe wouldn’t usually be termed trunks ?.

newmercman:

Pat Hasler:
809 miles each way, NYC, USA to Truro NS, Canada, total driving time 13 hours, which can’t be done in one go obvilously, soit usually takes a day and a half each way. I don’t do the run often but I love it, I get to Truro on the second afternoon, park at the truck stop about half a mile from the stop, nip round there in the morning and they do all the work while I watch a movie, takes 2 hours to unload the ‘WINE’ LOL. I then come back empty.

You do know that you can do 13hrs driving legally in Canada, so you could do it in one hit on the way out if you wanted to.

Yes, I know that, we have elogs and it changes automatically when we cross the border. The main problem is the running up through CT and MA, the road works and other delays, I have never yet managed to get any farther than Gardiner ME on any of those trips before having to take a 10 hour break. Next day I set out again and arrive in Truro by the late afternoon or evening. On the run back I stop at the same service area basically because although I could make it to the NH line trying to find a space to park is impossible so I take the proper option. I refuse to park in the middle of nowhere with no services, luckily I work for a company who think we should stop in such places rather than run to the limits.
I understand why to some of you this is not classed as a trunk but it is a regular monthly run.

People who trunk are just a glorified shunter thats all.

newmercman:
For me trunking has always meant a regular run to the same place every time, if you do one round trip a day or it takes multiple days to get there and back, it’s still a trunk.

I can agree with that definition of a shunt. But would anyone agree that shunts involve trailer swops or inter-depot work, as opposed to local deliveries/pick-ups, with a customer? Or have I got this terminology wrong again?