How long have you had your class 1

October 26th 1979.Ford ‘D’ Series with Coates’ of Leicester.

Passed class 1, June 2017…

Class 2, April 2007 though…

See below .

1979 :blush:
Yeh I already know…I don’t look old enough. :sunglasses:
:laughing:

Have been driving trucks in civilian life since 1968 prior to HGV licences being introduced
In about 1970, you then had to provide a letter from previous employers that in a 12 month period 1969/1970 you had driven a rigid or artic for a period of 6 months
and then you were supplied with the appropriate licence class one or two.
Prior to this you only needed to be 21 and hold a driving licence.
I had driven in the army previously and still driving today, I have been driving a Palmer @ Harvey trucks for the past few days, yes I know there in liquidation !
Been picking them up for truck sales company’s and taking them to auctions.
y

Passed mine in 1992. My old man paid for it bless him, 800 quid. Mind you, knowing he was paying made me determined to pass it the first time.
Not driven a bendy for about 15 years now though.

Edited, says 1.4.91 on me license so wasn’t too far out.

robroy:
Yeh I already know…I don’t look old enough. :sunglasses:
:laughing:

You smooth talking bar steward! :laughing: :laughing:

1974 with heavy goods southern at hurn airport Bournemouth, on a little urban ex railway D series 0700 and 20ft flat trailer, the cab had indicators on the top corners of the cab like mickey mouses ears .

My dad died on his driving test in 1977 aged 50, he had already told me to stay away from driving or he would kick my arse. I didn’t listen, wish I had though!

robroy:

Exactly the same here!!

robroy:
Yeh I already know…I don’t look old enough. :sunglasses: :laughing:

Now there’s where we differ… TBH, I haven’t worn so well. :frowning:

dieseldave:

robroy:

Exactly the same here!!

robroy:
Yeh I already know…I don’t look old enough. :sunglasses: :laughing:

Now there’s where we differ… TBH, I haven’t worn so well. :frowning:

I was 4 years old then [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Wheel Nut 3:
My dad died on his driving test in 1977 aged 50, he had already told me to stay away from driving or he would kick my arse. I didn’t listen, wish I had though!

What happened ■■

28yrs ago in an F7

UK class1 26yrs before exchanging car/bike licence part in Canada (not HGV ) then resitting class 1 in Canada (bit of a shock finding out what bad habits you pick up over the years :blush: )
,MB class 1AF 9/10 yrs

Nearly 19 years for me, and I’ve just passed my first medical for licence renewal as I’m 45 next week.

Still waiting for my class 1, don’t think I will bother now!! :wink: Class 2 only (no artics where I worked and they paid for it all) February 1976 until present.

Pete.

June 1975, three weeks after my 21st birthday. First vehicle I drove after my test was an Atkinson Borderer :slight_smile: but then i really progressed onto my 240 Gardner powered ERF A series…happy days :slight_smile:

bald bloke:

Wheel Nut 3:

What happened ■■

Over exertion on his Hill Start, he did say the night before. “I will pass this test if it kills me!”

It did and he didn’t.

He didn’t drive lorries, just sold them!!!

April 1976. Straight to class 1, you could do that in those days.

March 1988 aged 30
7 day course
2 to 1 training
1st time pass