How long have you had your class 1

Sat here thinking about it and shocked myself when i realised it will be forty one years in February, flown over.

Passed in 1987 and only started using it last year. Why I did class 2 for so long I’ll never know.

Andrewsfoxes:
Passed in 1987 and only started using it last year. Why I did class 2 for so long I’ll never know.

Thirty years soon goes doesn’t it?

Since 1986.

bobbya:
Sat here thinking about it and shocked myself when i realised it will be forty one years in February, flown over.

Got mine in 2014, at the grand old age of 37. I’ll let you do the maths, don’t want to upset you. :wink:

Sat mine in 1974 in a real lorry (Leyland Marathon) but had a rigid license before that!

Dr Damon:
Sat mine in 1974 in a real lorry (Leyland Marathon) but had a rigid license before that!

There’s a big thread in the old timers forum on the Leyland marathon. If you haven’t already, might be worth a read.

Did mine in 1979, not used it since 2009 [emoji14]

I passed mine in 1968.I enjoyed many years learning the job in the UK then going on to Middle East and continental work either as an employee or with my own truck.Lived in Belgium 12 years,Spain 4 years.Learned some foreign languages.Moved back to the UK becoming more disillusioned as time passed.Did my last shift in 2014 when the DCPC came into force,I think we all know how standards have risen(?)since then.Allowed licence to expire so now I am just a plain old car driver.

Passed mine in April '88 aged 21…company paid for it as part of the ‘redundancy package’ when we part of DCL (Distillers Group) and before the bi-annual name changes started! Only been using it for the last 10 1/2 years though…I must’ve loved the multi drop, stuck with that from when I were 17 and knew no better…or I never saw the light!

I got mine in 2004, paid for by my employers, after them paying for my class 2 … can’t use it as I don’t have a dcpc and don’t intend on getting one either.

Passed…

First time in 1983.

Passed 3 weeks ago 2nd time company paid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

June 88, sold my car to pay for it £800.

January 1990.Wished i’d paid more attention at school.Enjoyed the job back then a lot more too.And always tramped since passing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

July 1977 , and although I drive a dell job 4 days a week , I still sometimes get out on a proper job on a Friday, although I prefer rigids now.

1976, cost £296 for a 10 day course straight to class 1, apart from a promotion i was encouraged to take and hated so returned to driving, been full time ever since, and yes still enjoy the job but it’s getting harder to actually drive now as they insist on trying to make us only steer :unamused:

Putting costs in perspective i was on about £50 a week driving vans and 7.5 tonners before, maybe a little more but was doing artic hours and distances, once i got me class 1 i averaged £93 a week over the first 2 years, and me first house a new build 3 bed semi bought in '76 just before i passed me lorry test cost £9300.

Passed Class1 in 1970, although I already had “grandfather rights” for a Class2 licence. I have renewed my licence on a yearly basis since 2012 when I turned 65. I sent my licence off on Dec 12th and received it back yesterday the 18th. I still use it fairly regularly to do a trailer swap for a friend of mine when he runs short of hours, usually on a Friday or Saturday. Regards Kev.

Captain Caveman 76:

Dr Damon:

There’s a big thread in the old timers forum on the Leyland marathon. If you haven’t already, might be worth a read.

Thanks Captain, I will have a read. May bring back some horrible memories. lol.

kevmac47:
Passed Class1 in 1970, although I already had “grandfather rights” for a Class2 licence. I have renewed my licence on a yearly basis since 2012 when I turned 65. I sent my licence off on Dec 12th and received it back yesterday the 18th. I still use it fairly regularly to do a trailer swap for a friend of mine when he runs short of hours, usually on a Friday or Saturday. Regards Kev.

I had the same. I had been driving an 8.5 ton Bedford TK for about a year which at the time you could drive on a car licence then they changed it to 7.5 and I got a licence that covered me up to 10 tons gross. Free!