How long do you stay?

Hi all. After 13 years with the same company, I finally packed it in last week due to the atrocious working conditions. I used to love it but things just got silly ( and dangerous ) over the last few months.
I think 13 years is a pretty good innings and it’s made me wonder how long drivers tend to stay with the same company for. Do you stay loyal or move around? What’s the longest time you’ve spent at one place? Or the shortest?

The enjoyment of moving around is meeting new people. New conversations. New routines and challenges.

Consensus where I am is that drivers ate more than often want to follow the money.

No such thing as loyalty .

I was at my last place 11.5 years

Almost 14 years is my record. I’ve done 14 months where I am now but that’s in two stints, with the 6 months away doing two tipper jobs.
Unless we get a silly great payrise soon, I’m off.

I seem to last about 6 years, just coming up to that at current job and was getting cheesed off a couple of months ago but I got past it now so this could be my record

Been where i am for 4 years getting itchy feet but the moneys good very nervous about leaving

If I landed a job that was based locally with straight forward work, good hours in ill-excessive numbers, good pay and good benefits i’d stay until I was kicked out. As I think most drivers would.

My current job ticks most boxes, but i’m always looking for that greener grass. I’m not someone who can just leave at the drop of a hat though, the new job would have to be considerably better. I like having my feet under the table.

You tend to settle down in your late 40`s I was with my final job 17 years when I retired,but before that it was chase the money.

I’m on 18 months at the minute, the money’s ok, but they recently really want their lb of flesh so I’m activity looking elsewhere.

lolipop:
You tend to settle down in your late 40`s I was with my final job 17 years when I retired,but before that it was chase the money.

Much like you worked full time until I was 67 , giving me a total of 17 years , now return to work at the same place occasionally on a part time basis .

I was in my previous job 25 years. Since moving over to driving, I’ve officially been in the same job nearly 8 years now. But in that time I have had two different employers, worked on three different contracts and at four different locations. I don’t see myself going anywhere else voluntarily any time soon (comfort zone and all that) but if they ■■■■■■ me off big-time I would cheerfully walk away.

I’ve worked for the same company for 37 yrs and I’m getting made redundant this week :laughing: , think I’ll have a short break before I look for something else.

Trev_H:
I’ve worked for the same company for 37 yrs and I’m getting made redundant this week :laughing: , think I’ll have a short break before I look for something else.

A few quid coming your way then shag :wink:

Been with my firm since 2001. Was my first hgv job, not had licence long, but got the job thro my step dad. I nearly left last year over something that when looking back at it now is petty. Decided to ride out the storm and glad i did. Would never think of leaving, and am looking forward to moving up the ranks to be TM. It’s also the longest I’ve ever stayed in the same company.

Ive done 13yrs with a break in the middle thinking the grass was greener,went back with my tail between my legs ,lost my unit and started back like the new lad with a old unit a the crap work for a while,fair play to them it serves me right :laughing: :laughing: i was a propper bum lick when i went back and ooooohhhh boy did they give it me big time :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

seth 70:

Trev_H:

Oh yeah ! but I don’t know who’s the biggest mug, me for working there 37 yrs (although it was an easy job) or them as I retire in 4 yrs anyway !

Trev_H:

seth 70:

Trev_H:

Oh yeah ! but I don’t know who’s the biggest mug, me for working there 37 yrs (although it was an easy job) or them as I retire in 4 yrs anyway !

They may possibly be doing you a good turn, isn’t there something about 63 being a cut off point between redundancy with a possible good payout, and early retirement without one?

Trev_H:

seth 70:

Trev_H:

Pick and choose a few shifts midweek for the agency trev H ,start and let the turbo cool down for a few years m8 ,i nice little trunk job not to far or near and its happy days :wink:

I’m on my 3rd full time job this year, and my work location is getting closer to home each time for more money and less hours (or more sociable). I hate listening to drivers ■■■■■ every morning about how terrible the job is but don’t actively look elsewhere.

I always have daily emails from indeed.com for my local area and If I see something I like I have no problem going for an interview and sussing it out.

I pretty happy where I am now though, and being only 26 I have time on my side if I hang around for abit so my cv looks less mercenary.

I have thought about that Seth but to be quite honest I couldn’t care less if I never saw a lorry again. :laughing: :laughing: