How long before they put speed limiters in cars?

I was going to put this up as a comment on the Truck Overtaking post but I thought it deserved its own.

The government and (more importantly) the EU want to slow traffic down to reduce emissions and save lives, so it seems to me that the obvious solution would be to start fitting speed limiters in cars.

They could go even further: With modern electronics it would be quite feasible to alter the maximum speed to suit the local limits and conditions. If your TomTom knows where the traffic is, then so could the limiter, and traffic approaching congestion could easily be slowed down.

I believe that this, or something like it, will happen within the next five years.

Cars are limited to 155 in this country!

Thought you would know that, The way petrol and derv is going…the rest of car drivers will be driving around at 56, like most .

I Believe its already on its way. I think there is a satellite based limiter, that knows what road you’re on and also the speed to limit your vehicle to. Just a question of implementing it now I sup[pose. New cars first I suspect, hmmm, will new car sales go down ? :laughing:

Although the technology is there I think there would be massive political problems to get it in law, jow public doesn’t like his cars being slowed down.
However I can see all commercial vehicles being fitted with limiters in the near future. I think almost everything over 3.5tonne is already covered and some companies are fitting them to smaller vans due to insurance and fuel costs.

muckles:
Although the technology is there I think there would be massive political problems to get it in law, jow public doesn’t like his cars being slowed down.
However I can see all commercial vehicles being fitted with limiters in the near future. I think almost everything over 3.5tonne is already covered and some companies are fitting them to smaller vans due to insurance and fuel costs.

They will sell it as a “green/safety” measure. maybe fleets will fit them first to save fuel.

Then, of course, we will see cars taking five miles to overtake just like the trucks.

To impose such a limiter on private cars would likely be political suicide

I doubt they will do it as there is no money to be made from it, the goverment wont spend billions on this idea unless they introduce road charging as well.

Too easy to circumvent too. Lots of cash will be made by the folks clever enough to hack the box and reprogram it. T

Ark-Angel:
Too easy to circumvent too. Lots of cash will be made by the folks clever enough to hack the box and reprogram it. T

Or where to just stick a magnet on the gearbox. :wink:

I dont see it ever happening would be too easy to overide and to hard to enforce apart from occasional police stops or yearly MOT’s.

What is more likely is widespread roll out of SPECS cameras over larger parts of the road network.

I thought they already had them! Most cars seem to be stuck at 0.1-mph under my limiter, so it certainly feels like it! :imp:

hiya, they can limit my elderly jam jar if they want preferably to 28 miles an hour stop those robbing speed camera’s grabbing all me beer money, sorry ( you cannot be serious ) thanks harry long retired.

I remember seeing a trial on police camara action last year when they had a limiter device that changed its speed according to a plate fitted on the side of the road so it unlocked for the motorway then came on in a residental area after passing a special lamppost.
they gave the car to a chav twoka he was going ape cos it wouldnt go above 30 lol :smiley: :smiley:

They’re already testing it out in London.

Harry Monk:

Ark-Angel:

Or where to just stick a magnet on the gearbox. :wink:

What are you trying to insinuate there remember that could be libelous. And the magnet is for the uneducated heathens a laptop and some knowledge is much better and a hell of a lot harder to prove. ( not that i would know about such things it’s just a thing i heard once allegedly and all that honest guv i wouldn’t even know how to turn a 'puter on never mind reprogram the electronics of a truck ) :open_mouth:

Speed limiting a car would be a silly idea, better if they introduced a minimum speed limit of 60 and over for cars on the motorways so that they stay faster than most trucks and dont clog up the slow lane :slight_smile:

i think its a brill idea!.
oh how i will laugh,when im up the chuff of a car in the middle lane,flashing my lights impatiently,making rude hand signals,whilst watching him /her struggle to overtake a car on the inside doing half a mile an hour slower speed.
revenge is a dish best served…well any temperature really!.

Grayham:
Speed limiting a car would be a silly idea, better if they introduced a minimum speed limit of 60 and over for cars on the motorways so that they stay faster than most trucks and dont clog up the slow lane :slight_smile:

They can bring this in but only if they have the motorways patrolled by that gun truck from “Death Race” and the gunners are obliterating any cars going under it.

All they need is more speed cameras. :laughing:

I’d personally prefer to have more traffic officers on patrol. And more beat bobbies on patrol with the csos doing the form filling. Now where’s that flying pig graphic gone??