How long are you away in the truck for?

As per title, how many days, weeks, months do you spend out in the truck before coming home? And those people that live in their trucks for more than a week at a time how do you find being on your own over the weekend etc and just being away from friends and family?

I normally do 5 nights at a time.

4 on 4 off so 3 nights generally 4 if i get stuck somewhere and thats 2 two many

About 9hrs.:slight_smile:

now its away 4/5 nights and home 4/3 nights depending on when i run in, last job it would be anywhere between 1,2 or 3 weeks away. not good if you have a partner.

if i was away in europe for the weekend i would try to get where i wanted to stop either spend the weekend sightseeing around the town/city or jump a train to somewhere.

if it was uk weekending it was either Havant which was ok as i knew people there or fraggle rock which was a eyeopener lol

I’ve been away almost a month and its starting to go my head in now.

Two weeks at a time now used to do a month but after 3 weeks it does start to get to you unless you’re weekended somewhere decent and can get a good weekend on the lash

Too long :cry:

Just starting my second week now, although I should’ve been home on Sunday after 6 days out, my compressor had other ideas though and decided to self destruct, so I’ve been sat in a hotel since Saturday afternoon and won’t be going anywhere until tomorrow morning (Tuesday) at the earliest now, I’m still almost 1000 miles from home, so won’t make it back until Wedsneday night and then I’ll ■■■■■■■■ myself up if I have a day or two off, so my plan is to stay out and get back into my usual routine and be home next weekend, although something will probably happen to ■■■■ that up too :unamused:

I’m being paid to doss around in a little ski resort place, the hotel is half decent, there’s a couple of good resturaunts close by and beer is available, it would be rude not too, so all in all it could be a lot worse, it started playing up at the top of a mountain pass, but a bit of bodging got me down here thankfully, it would’ve been a bit bleak stuck up there all weekend waiting for a tow truck to rescue me :cry:

Living the dream… :laughing:

3/4 nights a week

kr79:

What kind of work are you on?

mazzer:
Two weeks at a time now used to do a month but after 3 weeks it does start to get to you unless you’re weekended somewhere decent and can get a good weekend on the lash

Do you go out drinking on your own?

newmercman:

Just starting my second week now, although I should’ve been home on Sunday after 6 days out, my compressor had other ideas though and decided to self destruct, so I’ve been sat in a hotel since Saturday afternoon and won’t be going anywhere until tomorrow morning (Tuesday) at the earliest now, I’m still almost 1000 miles from home, so won’t make it back until Wedsneday night and then I’ll ■■■■■■■■ myself up if I have a day or two off, so my plan is to stay out and get back into my usual routine and be home next weekend, although something will probably happen to [zb] that up too :unamused:

I’m being paid to doss around in a little ski resort place, the hotel is half decent, there’s a couple of good resturaunts close by and beer is available, it would be rude not too, so all in all it could be a lot worse, it started playing up at the top of a mountain pass, but a bit of bodging got me down here thankfully, it would’ve been a bit bleak stuck up there all weekend waiting for a tow truck to rescue me :cry:

Is it more common for drivers over there to spend more than the typical week away like in the uk?

I recently have been doing about 3 nights out a week, not always back to back, have the occasional 4 and the occasional 2. Suits me fine really, it breaks the week up quite nicely.

FarnboroughBoy11:
I recently have been doing about 3 nights out a week, not always back to back, have the occasional 4 and the occasional 2. Suits me fine really, it breaks the week up quite nicely.

Does anyone else drive your truck, like night trunk to pallet hub etc when your not out in it?

I’m doing Canada USA box van work. Been plagued by breakdowns lately so been taking my resets while say in garages but had enough now.

kr79:
I’m doing Canada USA box van work. Been plagued by breakdowns lately so been taking my resets while say in garages but had enough now.

Of being abroad or being away from home for so long?

Whats in like moving out there, seems like great way to experience a different part of the world and your certainly making the most of your life thats for sure!

Saaamon:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Does anyone else drive your truck, like night trunk to pallet hub etc when your not out in it?

No way pedro!!!, it’s the flagship of the company and the driver before me did the same as well as the next driver after me, it’s what the guvnor wants.
I take the keys home and my boss has the only other set, I sometimes even drive it home if I’m running solo somewhere the next morning :slight_smile:

Do get a bit homesick for England miss my family and friends but now just fed up With been in the truck that long.
Yeah has been a good experience since beginning of November I’ve been to 24 different states and 3 Canadian provencies and covered almost 40000 miles.
Certainly glad I’ve done it as no matter what happens I’ve got the pictures and memory’s of going something a bit different.
The cold weather is ■■■■ though lol

39 months, from April ‘07’ till July’10’, apart from a few holidays.

Generally 4 days on 3 days off (usually weekends if I’m lucky with the fall of jobs.)

I will occasionally be abroad for more than 5 or 6 nights if I take anything through Rotterdam or Calais, but those days are becoming fewer now with a young family.

Saaamon:

kr79:

What kind of work are you on?

mazzer:

Do you go out drinking on your own?

newmercman:

Just starting my second week now, although I should’ve been home on Sunday after 6 days out, my compressor had other ideas though and decided to self destruct, so I’ve been sat in a hotel since Saturday afternoon and won’t be going anywhere until tomorrow morning (Tuesday) at the earliest now, I’m still almost 1000 miles from home, so won’t make it back until Wedsneday night and then I’ll ■■■■■■■■ myself up if I have a day or two off, so my plan is to stay out and get back into my usual routine and be home next weekend, although something will probably happen to [zb] that up too :unamused:

Is it more common for drivers over there to spend more than the typical week away like in the uk?[/quo
usually you will bump into another driver or expat, used to get weekended in benidorm and alicante quite a bit so no trouble finding a partner in crime down there

when driving Europe used to be away for anything upto 8 weeks at a time, this side of the pond I’m norm away for a week to 2 weeks back for a reset then back out

Saaamon:
Is it more common for drivers over there to spend more than the typical week away like in the uk?

It all depends on the job, things differ from firm to firm. My place is like a typical UK to Southern Europe operation really, leave the yard, go down to the US or out west in Canada and then back to the yard, usually all done in a week, sometimes that can be 10 days if you do a triangle run, which is typically leaving the yard tipping in the US and then reloading for Western Canada then tipping there and then reloading for back to the yard or doing the Western Canada leg first, then to the US, tip and reload for the yard. Then home for a couple of days and repeat ad infinitum…

I do have a lot of freedom in how much I want to work at my firm, as long as I’ve got decent miles in for the month, they have no problem with me taking the last week of the month off, for example, I quite like to do that every now and then, sometimes a couple of days just isn’t enough time off, there’s a load of things that need doing and before you get the chance to chill out it’s time to go back to work :cry: Although sometimes it’s because my hangovers take a lot longer to go now, the last one was a three day episode of pain and suffering :cry: :laughing:

Some companies run wild, so they may run to the US, reload for anywhere in Canada (it’s a big big place remember, so they could end further away from home in Canada than when they were in the USA) then reload back south, with those jobs you could be home every week if it all falls into place, you could be out for a month or more if it doesn’t or if your wife is getting on your ■■■■/you have a house full of stroppy teenagers, delete as applicable :laughing:

Then there are the blokes that just like being away for a month at a time and do just that, often driving within ten minutes of their house without stopping in for at least a night. I used to do that before my wife came over, no point sitting in an empty house when I could be down the road earning a few bucks, but it’ll send you doolally after a while, it’s like being a budgie in a cage :cry: