How he managed to do that?

Article states, that he was carrying a digger on the tipper and hit the low bridge. But why the cab is smashed then?

orys:
Article states, that he was carrying a digger on the tipper and hit the low bridge. But why the cab is smashed then?

Because the load has hit the bridge and stopped him dead lifting the front of the truck up to smash the cab against the underside of the bridge. :slight_smile:

Real interesting… Back to physics here…

Thermodynamically stable bridge meets a kinetically unstable object - truck.

This situation is termed to be ‘thermodynamically favorable but kinetically unfavorable.’

A ----> B+C
C+D ----> E

A+D – B+E

So, the equilibrium constant ‘k’ is the result of the above.

K= BE / AD

It kid you not, this is really interesting stuff. It allows you to work out, given the kinetic energy of the vehicle and the thermodynamic energy of the bridge, what effect such a collision would produce ‘k’.

This system allows you to work out for example the effect of eating a McDonads of for arguments sake 300 calories. As calories = energy, calorific energy.

Weather systems over land are also calculated using similar methods.

I’ve probably cocked up somewhere above because I’m kind of out of practice with such things, but it’s good food for thought when driving all those lonely hours.

Paul.

annitram:
Because the load has hit the bridge and stopped him dead lifting the front of the truck up to smash the cab against the underside of the bridge. :slight_smile:

I should guess that…

prichardson:
Thermodynamically stable bridge

Is that means that temperature of the bridge is 0K and no particles are moving in it? :wink:

Hi Orys,

No mate. When talking thermodynamics, it’s important to remember three things.

1. Forget about time - completely - it’s pointless.
  2. Heat and temperature are not the same thing. It’s a bad thing to confuse them.
  3. Thermodynamics is all about ENERGY.

The thermodynamic energy of the bridge was lower than the kinetic energy of the truck (the reactant). In other terms, the bridge had a negative free energy change whilst the truck had a positive change to it’s equilibrian (it got banged up)!

Negative energy change + positive change to equilibrian should effectively equal zero after the matter, as no energy has been created nor lost.

This is where kinetics and thermodynamics get complicated, because kinetics require a time scale whereas thermodynamics don’t.

One last thing…

Regarding energy, cause & effect, science ect…

Why is it that I can get drunk on one large bottle of Iron Brew flavored WKD; and at 04:00 on a Saturday morning be listening to Britney Spears singing ‘Baby one more time’ whilst writing about Thermodynamics on Trucknet?

Answer that one big boy :bulb:

I reckon the cab was already like it. , quite good condition for a tipper !!
:laughing: :laughing:

Is that one of then new aerodynamic tippers??

prichardson:

This situation is termed to be ‘thermodynamically favorable but kinetically unfavorable.’

A ----> B+C
C+D ----> E

A+D – B+E

K= BE / AD

It kid you not, this is really interesting stuff. It allows you to work out, given the kinetic energy of the vehicle and the thermodynamic energy of the bridge, what effect such a collision would produce ‘k’.

This system allows you to work out for example the effect of eating a McDonads of for arguments sake 300 calories. As calories = energy, calorific energy.

I’ve probably cocked up somewhere above because I’m kind of out of practice with such things, but it’s good food for thought when driving all those lonely hours.

Paul.

Oh, and the the height of the Hiab was greater than the space available under the bridge :wink:

<12’ + Mass > 12’ @ 40mph = big bang. It’s simple

The way the cab is caved in at the centre it looks like there may have been something overhanging the cab.

annitram:

orys:

Ahh yes,but why is the cab smashed at angle (if you know what I mean?)
Surely if it had gone straight into the bridge then it would be smashed in crushed from the cab roof? :wink:

i reckon the arm of the digger was over the top of the cab and thats why the middle of the cab is crushed. :smiley:

prichardson:

A ----> B+C
C+D ----> E

A+D – B+E

K= BE / AD

Paul.

Errr, what was that you said again :confused: :confused: :confused:

The cab is smashed the way it is because when the machine in the back hit the bridge it was forced beyond the centreline of the chassis, therefore the lorry pivoted around it’s rear axle & the front came off the ground & hit the underside of the bridge, it’s similar damage to when a skip loader hits a bridge as it also pivots around it’s rear axle.

A simple equation to prove this theory is X+Y(XY)=[zb] :wink:

Steyr-ing trouble?

TC

Does any one realy care its another Steyr off the road some poor bugger doesnt need to drive :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The cab prob came out in sympathy with the digger getting hit of bridge lol :laughing:

look carefully at the picture again ,there is a rather poorly looking HIAB over the digger on the back, reckon that hit the bridge first

Andydisco:
look carefully at the picture again ,there is a rather poorly looking HIAB over the digger on the back, reckon that hit the bridge first

A mate of mine had one of his guys hit a railway bridge with a Hiab grab (about 100yds from their yard - grab was left up in the air when he pulled out), and the damage looked just like this photo.

Like the others say, the cab gets lifted-up and bashed into the underside of the bridge.

wilbur:

Andydisco:
Like the others say, the cab gets lifted-up and bashed into the underside of the bridge.

Sorta like this?

Ouch!! :open_mouth: