How fast? (Coaches)

Hey all,

Was driving home along the M25 this evening, in my car, doing 70 in a line of traffic in lane 2 of 4. Then a stagecoach Scania coach bound for Gatwick comes flying past us in lane 3, hard to judge speed obviously but I’d say he was passing at least 10mph faster than I was doing (Car was dead on 70 as I had the CC on)

I really don’t care about the speeding issue etc, as thats the drivers decision and if he wants to speed then thats fine with me, as long as I’m not a passenger.

But it got me thinking, are these coaches not speed limited? if not, why not? seems just as sensible as limiting trucks if you ask me, especially now they are sticking limiters on vans as well.

Alex

I thought they were supposed to be limited to 100kph and subject to the same lane restrictions on the motorway as LGVs :question:

Should be limited to 100 kph IIRC.

Yes coaches do have exactly the same limiters as trucks. Only difference is that coach ones are set to 100kph (around 62mph). They are also not allowed into the 3rd lane of a 3 lane motorway.

I guess he must have popped the fuse then! because He was doing at least 75 and probably more!

Friday night syndrome :wink:

Alex

so a coach is allowed to go faster than an hgv !!

some ■■■■■■■■ muppets need to re-address the balance here…

even on “A” roads they are allowed to go over 40mph …

coach with 40+ passengers on… goes off the road … multi casaulties !!!

hgv goes off 1 casualty !!!

reason being logistic loader…hgv/lgv has to deliver there preciouse electric/shopping(dont want that damaged)bus/coach is a public transport vehicle and that cant be seen going slow noone would go on a slow coach would it…noone has got it that there can be up to 80 people on a bus/coach and can weigh as much as a hgv/lgv(well maybe not 44ton. but u get the picture)

I know its off the point slightly but a mate of mine used to drive National express rapide coaches between London and Sheffield. reckoned one of their drivers got pulled by the plod doing 106 mph, it was a quite a high profile news item at the time

herbertanchovy:
I know its off the point slightly but a mate of mine used to drive National express rapide coaches between London and Sheffield. reckoned one of their drivers got pulled by the plod doing 106 mph, it was a quite a high profile news item at the time

doubt any coach nowadays would have the gearing to get it 106mph. :question:

Was the driver looking down his nose at you? If so…thats ok, he can do as he wishes!! Well…the ones that get on the ferry’s seem to think so! :imp:

Jay,

if i had the picture i’d be worth a few quid…!!!

sadly it didnt work on the M25 when Nat Exp went Pete Tong and slid down road killing 3 passengers…

3 x Manslaughter charge = life in my book…!!

this 40mph limit for hgv’s is as old as the man with red flag in front !!

why wont the MP’s who continually screw this country make a good decision and allow an upper limit… !!

Speed does not KILL !!

IMPACT kills !!

Guns dont kill !!

People Kill !!

Logistics Loader:
so a coach is allowed to go faster than an hgv !!

some ■■■■■■■■ muppets need to re-address the balance here…

even on “A” roads they are allowed to go over 40mph …

coach with 40+ passengers on… goes off the road … multi casaulties !!!

hgv goes off 1 casualty !!!

50mph on A roads… :wink:

I was referrring to single carriageway for hgv… 40mph !

coaches go way over that !!

I worked for national express and we could do 62mph no tachos just a log book that was about 5 years ago.

And the thought of carrying 49 passengers, and all for £4.20 a hour that was from Bristol to London and back to Bristol. :cry:

If the coach driver was doing 80mph, then it’s up to him, a little over the top maybe.
I think 70mph would be fine.
same for trucks.

Hey… Probably will get my head bitten off cause i am a coach driver but…

You will probably find your speedo on your car is actauly reading about 65mph, and the coach was doing 70mph - perfectly legal!

The coach im driving at the moment doesnt have a speed limiter, 07 plate Volvo B12 and it will do over 90 odd I recon if I let it run on, Its perfectly comfortable at 70mph and theres plenty of guts left keep it going.

On the otherhand I was driving a X reg Leyland Tiger the other week which would take the speedo off the clock if you let it. Could easily top 100 I recon and have been told it would!

dave:

herbertanchovy:

doubt any coach nowadays would have the gearing to get it 106mph. :question:

yes this was back in the '80s. Back then something like a Leyland Tiger,volvo B10m or AEC Reliance with the AV760 was ludicrously fast flat out. essentially a Truck engine with very high gearing and nowhere near all the weight

danielwilkie wrote:-

The coach im driving at the moment doesnt have a speed limiter, 07 plate Volvo B12 and it will do over 90 odd I recon if I let it run on, Its perfectly comfortable at 70mph and theres plenty of guts left keep it going.

I thought a limiter was compulsory fit, so what is the exception that you are running on?

Wot you mean the limiter that has an on/off switch within reach of the driver :wink:

Logistics Loader:
Jay,

if i had the picture i’d be worth a few quid…!!!

sadly it didnt work on the M25 when Nat Exp went Pete Tong and slid down road killing 3 passengers…

3 x Manslaughter charge = life in my book…!!

this 40mph limit for hgv’s is as old as the man with red flag in front !!

why wont the MP’s who continually screw this country make a good decision and allow an upper limit… !!

Speed does not KILL !!

IMPACT kills !!

Guns dont kill !!

People Kill !!

Guns dont kill people … Wappers do :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: gotta love GLC