How fast? (Coaches)

Smart Mart:

danielwilkie wrote:-

The coach im driving at the moment doesnt have a speed limiter, 07 plate Volvo B12 and it will do over 90 odd I recon if I let it run on, Its perfectly comfortable at 70mph and theres plenty of guts left keep it going.

I thought a limiter was compulsory fit, so what is the exception that you are running on?

Defective - been logged and is awaiting to visit Volvo

Anyone remember the old midland red that used to tramp down the m1 in the 70s.They used to move some.I got told they had their own, engines made,was this a myth or true?

easy answer is to call

0300 1239000

then select option 6

VOSA Intelligence Unit

report them for dangerous driving and deliberately flouting the laws of the road!

I’m sure that if enough people report them, Vosa might just take action

danielwilkie:
Hey… Probably will get my head bitten off cause i am a coach driver but…

You will probably find your speedo on your car is actauly reading about 65mph, and the coach was doing 70mph - perfectly legal!

The coach im driving at the moment doesnt have a speed limiter, 07 plate Volvo B12 and it will do over 90 odd I recon if I let it run on, Its perfectly comfortable at 70mph and theres plenty of guts left keep it going.

On the otherhand I was driving a X reg Leyland Tiger the other week which would take the speedo off the clock if you let it. Could easily top 100 I recon and have been told it would!

nope

coaches can do 62Mph or 100 Kph

For all you misinformed out there the legal limit for coaches as set by goverment is 70 mph, its VOSA that say they should be limited.
AS with HGV’s the legal limit is 60 mph, once again it’s VOSA that say they should be limited.
It does make me laugh when a post like this comes up, if I put a post on everytime I saw a HGV doing something wrong I’d spend about 4 hrs on PC.
we all need a reality check here, there are good drivers and bad drivers whether is cars, vans, coaches or trucks.
rant over

Can I just make something clear here, in my initial post It was quite crystal that I didn’t give two hoots of the drivers behavior.

I was just asking what speed coaches could do, either limited or not.

He can drive around at 100mph for all I care, I was just intrigued as to what the law and mechanical constraints were.

geezer:
For all you misinformed out there the legal limit for coaches as set by goverment is 70 mph, its VOSA that say they should be limited.
AS with HGV’s the legal limit is 60 mph, once again it’s VOSA that say they should be limited.
It does make me laugh when a post like this comes up, if I put a post on everytime I saw a HGV doing something wrong I’d spend about 4 hrs on PC.
we all need a reality check here, there are good drivers and bad drivers whether is cars, vans, coaches or trucks.
rant over

Sorry Geezer, it aint VOSA who make the laws of this land or any other. The speed limiter law is an EU directive agreed by all member states, that means your government. VOSA carry out the implementation of these laws, like the Police, like the DSA and like the DVLA

A friend of mine has just got a new Volvo B12M - 420 with Ishift, on 315/80 tyres it does 100kph at 1250rpm, so if it would run on to 2000rpm thats 99mph.

The speed limit for coaches is 70mph on motorways, but EU law requires a limiter to be fitted at 100kph, with a 5kph tolereance, so you can get away with 105kph, just as 85kph rule and 90kph tolerance with a truck.

dave:

herbertanchovy:
I know its off the point slightly but a mate of mine used to drive National express rapide coaches between London and Sheffield. reckoned one of their drivers got pulled by the plod doing 106 mph, it was a quite a high profile news item at the time

doubt any coach nowadays would have the gearing to get it 106mph. :question:

I can believe it, a firm I used to drive for had an ex Nat Ex Neoplan decker that would over run the limiter on a downhill gradient

SWraith will know the one I’m on about

A couple of interesting points here.

I’ve never had a coach with a broken speed limiter
and the fastest one i’ve had did 64 which is within tolerance and verified by my gps of which i have 3 : tomtom, my tytn 2 and my nokia n95…

The same gps systems show that at an indicated 70 mph in my car the gps speed is 66. My girlfriends car does 64 at an indicated 70.

50mph limit on single carriageway a roads… its beem mentioned that if a truck is doing the legal limit of 40 and is holding up another truck that it should pull over at a safe place and let the faster travelling truck through. If i’m doing 50 in the coach and a lorry wants to get past should i also pull over even though he is speeding?

Scarab:
Hey all,

Was driving home along the M25 this evening, in my car, doing 70 in a line of traffic in lane 2 of 4. Then a stagecoach Scania coach bound for Gatwick comes flying past us in lane 3, hard to judge speed obviously but I’d say he was passing at least 10mph faster than I was doing (Car was dead on 70 as I had the CC on)

I really don’t care about the speeding issue etc, as thats the drivers decision and if he wants to speed then thats fine with me, as long as I’m not a passenger.

I think coaches and other large vehicles are only banned from the outermost lane of a motorway so lane 3 of 4 would have been okay in this instance. Also were you on a downhill stretch? coaches pick up speed easily on even very gentle downhill inclines and 70 mph in a coach on the tacho is around75 on a car speedo
But it got me thinking, are these coaches not speed limited? if not, why not? seems just as sensible as limiting trucks if you ask me, especially now they are sticking limiters on vans as well.

Alex

dave:

herbertanchovy:
I know its off the point slightly but a mate of mine used to drive National express rapide coaches between London and Sheffield. reckoned one of their drivers got pulled by the plod doing 106 mph, it was a quite a high profile news item at the time

doubt any coach nowadays would have the gearing to get it 106mph. :question:

I know someone who did the full taco in a V reg Daf SB3000 coach with a knackered speed limiter and it was still going with the needle right round on the taco… it never got reported to the maintenance dept for ages by ANY of the 30+ drivers working there either surprisingly lol