How far would you travel for work!

as title how far would you travel for work??i just started a job wich is 100 mile(2 hrs) drive from my house!!out all week on fridges daf xf,decent money!but its just the commuting thats puttin me off!

Well I do a 50 mile round trip, so thats 200-250 miles a week or 8-10 hours a week in my car. If I was on tramping I’d gladly have a 100 mile commute at the start and end of the week to have the job rather than be at home on the dole.

If your are happy with the money and job then why worry
about the 100mile drive,and perhaps the guv might let you
find a secure parking near where you live,

only second day 2 day so its early days,i suppose when i think about it its not a bad commute really 200 mile a week :smiley: im just used to commuting local around 30 miles per day so its not that bad really :smiley:

I would consider a B&B with that sort of commute for a daily job

Does doing that sort of commute leave you with enough rest time - I’m not talking about legal time but real rest time :question:

a mate of mine works out of west thurrock on spanish work.
when he gets back to west thurrock he gets a load to manchester where he lives, tips it, loads it, parks it up, then goes home. then he goes down to west thurrock, tips, loads then off to spain.
he dosn’t have to do the run to manchester, but it suits him as he gets more than the other lads who get into their cars at west thurrock and go straight home.

my lorry is either outside my house, on the car park 2 minutes walk away, or at the docks 10 minutes drive away. that suits me. :laughing:

so have a word with your boss and see if there is anything to tip or load near your home town at the end of the week

ROG:

Does doing that sort of commute leave you with enough rest time - I’m not talking about legal time but real rest time :question:

But this isn’t a daily commute rog, if I was working that far away and having to go every day I’d buy a camper van, and for me a nine hour reduced daily rest gives me six hours sleep, which is sometimes enough, sometimes not. If it proves insufficient I pull over and have an hours kip whilst working if I need one. Although to be fair whenever I’ve been knackered they have moved my start time for me to give me more rest.

It doesnt really matter where you are based if you are away. When I worked at Ontime near Banbury, we had 2 drivers from Kirkaldy, one from Newcastle, a couple from Preston area and Taffy came from the Valleys :smiley:

If you had to do it everyday then a 100mile round trip is a no-no but if your doin it once and then living out in the wagon all week I don’t think its that bad. As long as the money stacks up, its not so bad.

hammer:
If you had to do it everyday then a 100mile round trip is a no-no but if your doin it once and then living out in the wagon all week I don’t think its that bad. As long as the money stacks up, its not so bad.

agreed. every day would be too much but once a week isnt bad. my trip is around 40 miles each way but i get nights out so it pans out over the average. the guy that offered me the job lives 5 minutes away from me and he is office based now :open_mouth:

ROG:

tofer:
But this isn’t a daily commute rog, if I was working that far away and having to go every day I’d buy a camper van, and for me a nine hour reduced daily rest gives me six hours sleep, which is sometimes enough, sometimes not. If it proves insufficient I pull over and have an hours kip whilst working if I need one. Although to be fair whenever I’ve been knackered they have moved my start time for me to give me more rest.

Good to see a driver who knows their limitations - I sound like Clint Eastwood :exclamation: - Do you feel lucky :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve been shunting in the yard for most of the last two weeks and the next two weeks to come. I have had a couple of trips out to outbases, at Manchester and Taunton though.

I used to drive 85 miles to work on a Sunday night, nights out all week then then back home Friday. A round trip of 170 miles is ok if it’s only once a week.

Tiger.

I used to drive to glastonbury from Exeter on a monday, or to Frome. They’re both about 70 - 90 miles from me. I’m looking to get work in W Mids so I’ll have to add a bit to that. I’ve done it before though, Torquay to J2 M5 on Monday morning, stay up there all week, then back home on a friday. Doing it’s one thing, liking it’s another. (And that wasn’t a driving job in Brum).
I have had jobs running from just up the road from Rugby TS, where I did have to drive up on a monday and back on a friday. Relief driver. It was a relief to jack that one. Had to do it from Kent too.

PS. It’s not the driving there that gets me, it’s the early starts. If I want to be in the cab at 4.30am, I have to leave home at 3am which for me means getting up at 2am. Sunday nights were ■■■■■■

At the end of the day, its all about wage vs costs.

I would be happy to go 50 - 60 miles if I was out at least 3 nights a week.

Im about 2minute or 1/4mile from my work destination, which is handy. Hardly ever put diesel into the car and not many miles either. My last job, Spray painter for Solway Structural Steel = 60miles a day over 6 days. Spending about £50 a week on diesel.

smoker:
I used to drive to glastonbury from Exeter on a monday, or to Frome. They’re both about 70 - 90 miles from me.

You must’ve taken the scenic route smoker :wink: Exeter to Glastonbury is around 58-60 miles and a nice easy run, Exeter to Frome is about 72 miles. Depends which way you go I suppose :smiley: Or, as a man once said to me, “can you tell me the way to Exeter?”, I replied “depends where you start from” :unamused:

Tiger.

Fastrantiger:

smoker:
I used to drive to glastonbury from Exeter on a monday, or to Frome. They’re both about 70 - 90 miles from me.

You must’ve taken the scenic route smoker :wink: Exeter to Glastonbury is around 58-60 miles and a nice easy run, Exeter to Frome is about 72 miles. Depends which way you go I suppose :smiley: Or, as a man once said to me, “can you tell me the way to Exeter?”, I replied “depends where you start from” :unamused:

Tiger.

Well I haven’t done it for a couple of years, but it was definitely over an hours driving. I used the A303/A37 for Frome, and the M5/A39 route for Glastonbury. Glastonbury is over 60 anyway - I was driving for Sparks.
I guessed it on speed, coz I only do about 60mph tops at that time of day.
I was running for Rayners in Frome and they wanted me to start at 4am, so they said to come up on sunday night and sleep in the cab. I complained and got night out money for it :smiley:
One bloke used to come down from Swansea !

As a relief driver I regulary travel 100-150 miles round trip per day (in company van)…trouble is…they expect you to do a 12-15 hour shift when you get there! I dont by the way, but have been caught out at times and ended up doing 14 hours then driving an hour and half home. Best one was working at Malton Bacon Factory…started at 10am to do 2 trunks to Manton Wood, but snowed real bad and didn’t end up finishing until midnight. Rung my planners at Leeds who told me I was to be at Middlewich the next day at 6am! Well…you can guess what my reply was!

Doesn’t that count as “other work” as you are travelling there in a company vehicle?