How far do you/would you travel to work?

Ok, i’ve applied for a couple of jobs which are quite a distance in comparison with what i’m been doing, quite prepared to travel for the right job, but at the end of the day it’s gunna be atleast 100m round trip.

So,…

How far do you travel to work?

How far would you travel to work?

Does the travelling time to and from work count towards your driving time? (i’ve questioned this before with various people and been told yes it does and no it doesn’t)

Tiggz

tiggz:
How far do you travel to work?

about 50 yards

Does the travelling time to and from work count towards your driving time? (i’ve questioned this before with various people and been told yes it does and no it doesn’t)

it only counts as driving if you take the truck home with you :wink:

At the moment 1 mile, but in the not too distant future that will be 72 miles.

This is partly in preperation for the WTD as it takes me 1 and a half hrs to get to the plant I work out of, and partly because the work up here is now done by a different plant, so loading me home is getting harder.

Suppose I’m lucky as well as the boss is supplying some diesel (all legal and above board before any one mention syphoning :laughing: )

bout 20-25 miles, but it can take up to 40 mins if its in the rush hour

22 miles each way, towards London, so can take upto 1 1/2 each way

i travel 53 miles each way, i only make the journey once a week, drive there on tuesday and home on saturday.
the driving to and from work does not count as working time or duty time unless you are travelling to your truck when it is away from it’s place of operation (operating centre).
so if you work for a company in nottingham but for some reason you leave your truck in felixstowe then the time it takes to travel to felixstowe from your home is working time, time on duty and should be recorded on the reverse of that days tacho.
if your starting from nottingham then that does not need to be recorded even if you travel from sheffield to nottingham as long as nottingham is the operating centre and the place where you are employed from.

you have to weigh the pro,s &cons,i used to travel 50 mile round trip.got offered this job, less money ,on the doorstep so no petrol costs,less milage going on car.So all in all didnt actually lose any money.That has got to be a major factor.

I have travelled 100m round trip before, on A roads etc, if its where i think you want to work then your travelling is on the motorway so aint to bad i spose, it used to take me an hour to get to swindon on woolworths and 40 minutes when i was on sainsburys.
Now i drive 5 miles to work, the car takes less of a battering, my petrol is next to nothing, and when i leave work there is no better feeling than knowing you will be home in ten minutes :slight_smile:
Of course the downside is a lower paid job, but working so close to home definately makes up for that.
And no driving to work doesnt count towards your driving time.

15 miles each way i go to work at about 4/6 pm every night it takes about 25 minutes to get their but coming home at about 1/2/3 am it can take as little as 10 minutes.

:cry: 0 miles :cry: my jobs just gone pear shaped completely :cry:

It depends very much on my requirements at the time If a job offers the right money or experience I have regularly driven an hour one way to get to day work. Tramping, the furthest I have gone to work was Nuneaton to Peterborough to earn £70 a day with no night out but it got my foot in the door of international horse transport and some fabulous experiences but my home life is more important now so 45 mins or under and decent pay is the priority.

Depends on what they are paying & how many hours. I have worked out of Cambridge & Ipswich despite living in Norwich.
But I always include any costs in getting there when I am working out what I earn, so for a job 10 miles away it’s still £x but beyond that I take resonable running costs out of my days wage, so for cambridge or Ipswich I remove £15 running costs & if that means less than £6 per hour then forget it.

5mins :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

kitkat:
5mins :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Same as jim 5 mins away on the push iron 1.5 miles :sunglasses:

In this part of the World people think nothing of travelling great distances to work.
I was recently offered a job driving for Wall Mart, which is one of the top driving jobs, I turned it down because it was 150 miles each way :exclamation: Other guys say I was crazy to turn it down because it was Mon to Fri away and home weekends, but I don’t want to drive for 150 miles to get home every weekend, and have to leave home Sunday evening to go to work. I will stick to the 14 miles each way I do now :slight_smile:

About half an hour each way max. Not erring on the over a half hour.

20 minutes each way - up hill and down dale, can be quite tricky in winter or when Burnley are playing at home! Just purchased a 4x4 for the winter bit. :bulb:

Depends on the job. I’ve been happy to drive up to an hour each way for a decent day job. But I’d travel up to 90 mins for a tramping job.

22 miles each way for me…

Used to travel 45 each way, each day and it used to cost a fortune in my tuned up car… Atleast £12 in SUL per day…

Now i’m pootling up the M5 at silly AM and it’s using £25 a week instead… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The closer job WAS less money than my programming job to start with, but I was still ‘UP’ so to speak… NOW i’m on MORE than I ever earnt as a programmer, so i’m quids in… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I wouldn’t go back to loadsa travelling UNLESS it was only once a week…

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

depends on the job. i only do local work but the job i want is a 45 minute drive away. i have to watch the miles since i have a 3 litre T car which returns around 18mpg in town